HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/tmj-disorder-temporomandibular-joint/)
-   -   Post-Implant Progress (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/tmj-disorder-temporomandibular-joint/851888-post-implant-progress.html)

pamo810 05-29-2011 04:50 PM

Post-Implant Progress

Well, it's been 2 weeks since the TMJ Concepts were implanted in both TMJs. First progress report is under "Support needed..." thread. This week started with a phenomenal amount of pain, so in I went on Monday to see Dr. Warburton. Turns out the bands in the mouth were creating some very nice sores, so out they came - we tested it for an hour to see if my bite would hold (it did), so I was scheduled to come back on Wednesday and if the bite was still holding, the screws would come out. I was also opening to 35 mm on Monday (happy happy joy joy!). Wednesday came along, and the bite was still holding, so the resident took the screws out - without Novocaine! OUCH! Fortunately I have some viscous lidocaine, which was applied liberally once I got home - I took some Dilaudid at the doctor's office. Wound up sleeping the rest of the day, but so far, so good! I'm a happy camper! Now if this progress will just continue on the good side, I'll be really happy!

:wave:

Pam

navymid 05-31-2011 02:07 PM

Re: Post-Implant Progress

Pam,

Glad to hear you are doing so good!! I am hoping your pain continues to decrease :)

PatientZero 05-31-2011 08:57 PM

Pam

35mm that's fantastic! Sorry to here about the pain. I'm sure it will decrease with time. Just don't push it. Healing takes time.

Thanks again for sharing this with us. I really appreciate it! :)

~~~
Tom

Shirlett 06-01-2011 10:58 AM

Rock On!!! Keep moving forward but do not push! You will get there! I hope you continue to do well!
Take Care!:wave:
Shirlett

TMJC 06-02-2011 04:32 PM

Congrats to you!
I am having surgery on Monday...TJR Concepts on left & Orthoganathic on the right.
Today I had my surgical brackets put on, lots of pain right now.
So ready for this to be over.:dizzy::dizzy:

I hope you continue to heal so well!

pamo810 06-04-2011 02:20 PM

Good luck with the surgery on Monday - be prepared for more pain post-operatively. I thought I was ready, but I'm still having major pain 3 weeks out - didn't expect that. But at least I am slowly but surely decreasing the dose of the pain medication. I'm doing my exercises, and should be getting a therabite for further stretching of the muscles in a week or two.

I really hope the surgery turns out to help you - just give it time and don't push yourself to hard after surgery - these are major surgeries after all, so give it time to heal and rest - be prepared to sleep (a lot) due to pain meds and the body healing from the trauma.

Keeping you in my prayers for a successful outcome!
Pam

pamo810 06-13-2011 01:21 AM

Well, it's been 4 1/2 weeks since the surgery. The joints are working just fine, I'm still opening with no pain to 32 mm and with some pain to 35 mm. The pain that I'm feeling is predominantly muscle pain evidently. Last week I got a chin sling that has been helping to decrease the pain, but I am still on Dilaudid (really want to get off of this stuff!) When I see Dr. Warburton next week (5 1/2 weeks post op) he said that if the pain was still pretty severe, then we would try botox injectionsi to relax the muscles. I'm also taking 800 mg ibuprofen, and 350 mg Soma three times a day, and that seems to be helping a bit. I also need to know when I can start soft foods (getting a little tired of the liquid diet), but given the pain it may still be a while. I'm still making progress each week, so I'm pleased.

I hope that everyone else is doing as well as they can given the various stages of treatment we're each in. Best of luck!

Pam:wave:

TMJC 06-17-2011 04:19 PM

Hey Gang-
12 days post -op! I am doing fairly well:)
I had a TJR on the left side & a osteotomy on the right. Surgery took 6.5 hrs. I would say that the pain post-op has not been any worse than the pain I had before surgery. I spent one night in hospital. The only thing that I was not prepared for was the SWELLING...wow! my head was huge. I can happily report that I began to look like my old self around day 5.
I have lost about 13lbs due to the no chew.
To ease any fears--I did not wake-up in recovery in excruciating pain.
My eyes both shut:)
My left eyebrow will not lift. Most people do not notice it until I point it out to them. My doc shared that with time it should regain its movement. If it doesn't I am fine with it.
Once I get my braces off I am sure it will be even better!

PatientZero 06-19-2011 06:21 PM

Pam... Wow I can't believe it's been a month since your surgery! I am so glad things are slowly improving. Unfortunately for me things have taken a turn for the worse so it looks like I'll be back in Baltimore.

TMJC... Thanks for sharing this with us. I am also glad to hear that you too are slowly improving. Who was your Doc if you don't mind me asking?

~~~
Tom

TMJC 06-20-2011 06:16 AM

Hello-
Today marks 2 weeks...last night I was pretty sore, but that is probably due to having a evening out to celebrate Father's Day--movies, ice cream & Putt-Putt Golf --We wrapped the night up around 11:15 PM--that's late for me post-op or not:)

Pam--my doc had me try Cyclobenazaprine Extended Release. This has been the best muscle relaxant I have been on. It lasts for 24 hrs--I actually notice my swelling decreases--not so puffy cheeks! It has been great for me.

--My Doc is William S Kirk Charlotte--he has a great blog!
Feeling Food Deprived! TMJC

Shirlett 07-06-2011 07:07 PM

Pam, TMJC, WOW!:cool: To both of you...just do NOT push your recovery! Allow it to happen, your body knows what to do. Just keep moving forward!
Pam, with my first set of TMJ Concepts it was five months before I was pain & pill free. I HOPE for you it will be sooner but just DO NOT push it! Every one is differant and healing for all is what your body will allow and your body sets the healing pace. I am thinking of you both!
Shirlett

Tom,
I see you are still kicking! How is your treatment going?
Shirlett

sorbil 07-06-2011 10:00 PM

Hi Shirlett,
Glad to hear you are still feeling like your perky self! Sounds like a few new sufferers have had surgery and the healing is slow but positive. Good news. Just to encourage everyone to go slow and let the healing happen not to force any action too soon. Good luck to all of you. Please keep us posted.
sorbil

Shirlett 07-08-2011 09:35 AM

Hello Sorbil!

Yes I am still kicking and screaming! HAHA! I drove my Daddy on a 15 days trip through the Carolina's to see his relations and spent a few days with my daughter in Ft. Bragg. After getting home I doubted myself and started thinking I might me too old for road trips like that! HAHA...I did not want to get in the car for a few days! Even going up high in the mountians I did not have any issues, no pressure, popping ect. And of course I ate! OMG did I, I thought I might have to roll 14 hours home if I could not fit in my car! HAHA. Now my college roomate and I have planned a skydiving trip and I am so excited! This is something I have ALWAYS wanted to do and planned to jump on my 21st b-day but it did not happen so at 40 I am going to jump out of a plane! Then in January I am going to Peru for a month with a very close friend so I am excited to see the country and culture, being native american I am always curious about other indigenous tribes. Dr. D. told me to live my life and do what I wanted and I am doing it. I know it could all change tomorrow since my track record with the implants is not real great (HAHA) so I am all about getting everything I can out of every day. It is summer here in Florida so everyday I can it is out to the beach! The Blue Angels are flying this weekend so we are going out in the boat to watch tomorrow. I have not gone out to see a home show (there are two a year) in over 20 years! TMJ slowed me down so now I am making up for it!

Someone sent this to me, if anyone knows who wrote it please let me know.

"Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safley in a well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting Holy *%$#..what a ride!"

Take Care to all and have the best day you can, just know you are NEVER alone!:wave:
Shirlett

TMJC 07-23-2011 08:23 AM

7 weeks Post-OP....I feel great!:cool::cool::cool:

The past 2 years have been horrible---chronic pain changes who you are. I am glad to report I know who I am! Loving & Living to the fullest. I hope it stays this way for a loooonnnggg time...I will take FOREVER...:)

Was it the TJR? The braces? The Orthoganathic surgery? The PT? I think Yes to all of the above.

rocckyd 07-23-2011 11:43 AM

Great News! I hope you continue to improve each and every day. Keep us posted and allow others to see such a success story :)