It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
(female)

topsy123 HB User
GRINDING HARD!... Please read

Hi,
I have an undiagnosed health condition, causes me lots of symptoms and pain. However, for the last 6 months I have been grinding my teeth at night when asleep. How do I know?. Well, apparently, its so loud my partner can hear it. I wasn't aware this was going on, but I am now. It all started quite a while ago. I went to see my GP and said my ears are really itchy, like really deep inside and they crackle alot. He said oh its propably just sinus. So I went on with it, got some meds for it and carried on. It didn't go away. I started noticing pain just below my ear at my jaw, still the noise inside my ear, like a crunching sound, even tinitus at times, still the itching. He sent me to a guy who said no sinus problems and the ear looks clear. He gave me some drops to stop the internal itching. When I first start to eat a meal I sometimes get intense pain for a few moments in the jaw just under my ear, it does ease, but there are times when when I am eating a meal, my jaw just honestly aches.
So back to the teeth grinding. First of all I had no idea, now it wakes me up. I feel like I am trying to bite into steel, the sheer force wakes me up and then I get disturbed sleep, so that doesn't help. If thats not bad enough I am now clenching my teeth throughout the day. I seriously cannot help it, then I suddenly realise I am biting so hard it feels a million pounds of pressure from my ears right through to my jaw. My jaw cracks when I open it and its getting me down. I don't understand it, especially in the day, I am not intentionally clenching my teeth, but before I realse it I am clenching hard and it feels very hard on my back teeth. I must mention I have lost a few teeth over the years due to my inflammatory condition, mostly at the back, so now when I do grind or clench, the top teeth are grinding on my lower gums aswel, and its really sore.
Today I woke up after a very disturbed sleep and just had enough. I could hardly eat my breakfast as my gums were so sore and sensitive and my teeth felt like I had done a boxing match. I am going to the dentist tomorow, they booked me in quick when I said what the problem was, but really what can they do? I am concerned this will get worse and right now I am wondering is this as bad as it gets? Does this sound mild? I really don't want to come across as a hyperchondriac. Any advice would be really great and more to the point does anyone think this is TMJ?....Thanks for reading....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2011, 06:38 AM   #2
(female)

TMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB User
Re: GRINDING HARD!... Please read

Have your dentist to make you a night guard and wear it every night, also sometimes during the day when you are not speaking or eating. That will prevent you from grinding. Also, work on restoring your missing teeth. Good luck!

Old 08-10-2011, 03:22 AM   #3
(female)

Amanda6 HB UserAmanda6 HB User

Hi Topsy123,

I read through some of your other posts on Healthboards as well. The many other symptoms which you have could be all due to your TMJ. There are many symptoms can be due to TMJ dysfunction, and spread widely throughtout the whole body. The TMJ is not well understood by doctors, as most are completely unaware of the long list of related symptoms, so it's very common for people with TMJ disorder to have seen various medical doctors and consultants. The only doctors I have found who have any knowledge and understanding of all the symptoms it can cause are private dentists who have a special interest in treating the TMJ.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:40 PM   #4
(female)

Bellamq HB User

A splint may help during the day, but not at night. Splints and nightguards will protect your TEETH from grinding/clenching, but they will not STOP the grinding/clenching. At the most, splints make you more aware that you are clenching. In any case, be aware that consistently clenching your teeth (really hard) will eventually screw up your masseter muscles... and hyperactive masseter muscles will cause trigger points (knots) which can then refer pain directly to the teeth.

Closed Thread