It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
(female)

trigal HB User
Bite adjustment and TMJ pain

In desperate need of some feedback!!!

About a month ago I went to a new dentist for pain I was having in a couple of teeth. After an exam and x-rays he told me my tooth pain was due to an incorrect bite and that he could fix my teeth by balancing my bite.

I agreed to the bite balancing and have been in pain ever since. He took about an hour to "balance" my bite which never felt bad to begin with. Teeth and jaw felt odd after the adjustment but I was told to give it a week to get use to it. A week later, after being in pain and unable to pretty much eat anything I went back and he "tweaked" my bite and sent me on my way.

I went back to him 4 times to try to get my bite/jaw comfortable but each time it just got worse. I never had problems with my TMJ but now it all feels like a big mess. Hurts 24/7 and I have to take Celebrex and Skelaxin to get enough relief to eat. My jaw not only hurts but my cheek bone is sore and my jaw feels kinda loose and clicking.

I do not know what to do at this point. My teeth feel like they are hitting and banging into each other when I eat and when I bite down my teeth do not meet correctly and feels like my bite is consiently shifting.

I did contact a Neuromuscular dentist and have a consult next week, but am hesitant to have anything else done and get worse.

I am just sooo frustrated because that simple bite adjustment a month ago has landed me in TMJ hell! Any help in terms of symptoms reduction would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2011, 10:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Bite adjustment and TMJ pain

Please don't let another dentist do any more equilibration or filing of your teeth - I did the same thing several years ago and this made what was probably a simple problem at the time become more complex and chronic. There are other ways to determine what is wrong with the bite other than removing supposed interference - which is what that dentist thought he was doing, but sometimes in doing this freehandedly using carbon paper, the dentist alters the cusps or rasied edges of the teeth in such a way that the vertical space between the upper and lower teeth is changed and the overall vertical height within the mouth is lowered (so one becomes overly closed) and also pre-existing contact points of teeth which prevent the jaw from deviating or finding a comfortable resting position are removed. Most people end up with a see-sawing affect and endless bite adjustments trying to get the bite and jaw to stablize with the worse case scenario being that all their teeth end up filed down to stubs - and their pain levels only escalating.

Do go on the consultation but advise the dentist any treatment he suggests needs to be non-permanment - such as the use of splints or othotics. Obtain any films or xrays and a copy of your patient chart from the last dentist you went to and any models or impressions that he may have made or taken when he treated you as well and bring them to your appt.

Depending on the extent of your symptoms there are several tmj sites as well as some posts on this board that list self care treatments for tmj symptoms such as muscle relaxants, hot and/or cold compresses, avoid heavy chewing, use a cervical pillow when watching tv or going to bed, massages, various types of facial muscle and tongue exercises, etc.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:55 AM   #3
(female)

SourMug HB User

Hi Trigal,

I'm sorry to hear this is happening to you. I agree with all the advice Thelma-Louise gives in her post. Get a third opinion if you don't like what the dentist next week has to say, but, whatever you do, don't go back to the first dentist! However, as Thelma says, get as many x-rays, dental impressions, etc. as you can and be armed with that for your appointment next week.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
(female)

jennyct10 HB User

Trigal, I was wondering if you ever had any resolution on your implant problem? I am desperate.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
(female)

trigal HB User
Angry Re: Bite adjustment and TMJ pain

Well I am still in pain. I am beginning to think it is just me...

I have been to two seperate Neuromuscular dentists and had two seperate orthotics made (both LV trained). The first one made my sympmtoms worse. Went to another consult and he ended up making another orthotic which is not helping either.

I have had many adjustments made to the orthotic but it just makes my jaw feel worse. I know have headaches, eye pain, pressure in my ears, scalp pain, jaw/face pain etc..Things are getting worse and I do not know where to turn.

Everything was fine before the bite mutilation 7 months ago. If only a dentist could figure out how to build my teeth back up like were prior to the adjustment.

Any suggestions on how to treat TMJ brought on by a bad/aggressive bite adjustment other then orthotics and splints? Would a resorative dentist be the the next step?

Old 04-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
(female)

jennyct10 HB User

I know someone who goes to one; he likes him, but he's still in the process of multiple treatments. Did you try an oral maxillofacial? I was thinking of trying that, but I am only 2 weeks post implant (immediate). I wanted to know if you kept your implant and if it still hurts. Mine is still really bad and I'm nervous that it won't get better - I have a huge vacation planned for next month with $$$ spent already.

I tried leaving a message for you - but apparently that's disabled.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:58 AM   #7
(female)

trigal HB User

[
Hey There,

I did keep the implant but it took, probably.....10 times the amount of time to feel okay then what I was told.

I kept going back to the oral surgeon who would take x-rays and ct scans showing me the implant was "perfect". Even a year later if my sinuses would flare up I would feel pressure around the implant. I do not get that anymore and am not even aware of the implant, but I think it has been at least a couple /few years now.

I think that some people are just very sensitive to any changes to their body. I know that it is rare to be allergic to titanium and at first I thought I was but in time it all settled down.

Sometimes it would feel too big in my gum area (if that makes sense) and any exertion would cause it to sort of throb. BAd for me as a runner. But again, over the course of months (not weeks!) it calmed down.

Have you gone back to the oral surgeon who did the implant? Why not go back and have him/her check it out to make sure everything looks good from their end.

I found Advil helped a ton, but you probably are already taking that.....Let me know how it goes.....TG

Old 04-16-2012, 06:11 AM   #8
(female)

jennyct10 HB User

I will be getting a CT scan on the 24th, about 3.5 weeks from placement. I agree - some people are really sensitive. I am going to APRN at my doctor's office this AM to check the sinus angle. I have 3 huge sinus cysts, so I thought it was aggravating it. I get unilateral headaches, pressure, facial tingling, visual changes and dizziness. If I don't talk or move around it feels better, but I'm on vacation in 3 weeks and will be traveling...
thanks for you help

Old 04-16-2012, 06:39 AM   #9
(female)

trigal HB User

Hey...Did you have all those symptoms or any prior to the implant? Geez, that sounds really terrible. Good you are getting it checked out. Like I said, having sinus issues to begin with, I think it made my healing more difficult.

Maybe you could get tested for titanium allergy?

Sitting like a zombie is not a way to live so I hope you can figure what is causing the issue (if it is something other then healing process) and get feeling better.

I absolutely HATE when I have ANY dental work done cuz it ALWAYS causes problems. My jaw issue is just so bad I can't even eat sometimes and everytime I think about the dentist who messed up my bite I just get furious!!!

Best Wishes...

Closed Thread