Do I have TMJ?
Okay so I'm 16 years old and I think I have TMJ. I'm not sure though but I'm really concerned about my jaw in the future ( will it cause problems? )
Here are the details that I've gathered so far:
- I have no pain or clicking. I know TMJ usually has pain or clicking but I also read that sometimes there isn't any pain or clicking even if you have TMJ
- My lower jaw looks recessed (at least to me). My teeth are aligned okay, but my lower jaw feels like it's too far into my neck.
- I'm always subconsciously holding my breath. I heard this is related because if I voluntarily push out my jaw, I can breathe a whole lot easier.
- I think I have post nasal drip? I heard this is related because I think there's mucus stuck over the top part of the inside of my mouth (the soft part in the back). If I try to swallow it, it's still there, and doesn't go away. ( I had this problem for as long as I remember)
- I grind my teeth a lot. I grind it subconsciously sometimes, and the dentist even told my mom one day (during a normal checkup) that I grind my teeth a lot, even in my sleep.
- I get sore throats easily. I heard this is related because if your sinus is malformed, then it can cause sore throats a lot (might be related to post-nasal drip too [if I have it] ?)
- I used to get ear infections WAY too easily as a kid. I really don't get them anymore but it used to be a killer.
- Here's a big one. When I went to the dentist during a normal checkup one day, they said they had to remove my tooth (surgically). They tried to numb me with Nitrous oxide (laughing gas) but it didn't work. They gave me more, but it didn't work. I told them I'm still in pain and they were dumbfounded. They then injected me with some weird stuff and I still didn't get numb. So they injected me more and I finally went numb. They said they never really had to numb someone this much before. For this reason, I think my jaw is causing me to have a pinched nerve, which is why I couldn't get numb. A pinched nerve is a sign of TMJ :/
- I never had braces or anything because the dentists think my teeth are aligned perfectly (they wanted me to wear a retainer when I was younger but after a while they said I didn't need it anymore [idk why] )
- When I was younger, I always kept my mouth open, I heard this can contribute to TMJ (idk about this one though)
What are your thoughts? My parents don't know about TMJ and even if I told them that I think I have it, and I want an appointment with a specialist, they'll think it's useless and probably refuse. I don't want problems in my jaw when I'm older, and I really stand firm that if I do have TMJ, and it can be fixed, then my quality of life would get so much better.
So what do you think? Do I have TMJ? Or maybe a misaligned Jaw?