It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: greenville, sc
Posts: 37
not4sakn HB User
Describe YOUR headaches due to TMJD

For the people that suffer with headaches due to tmjd, could you please describe them. I'm eager to know the frequency, areas in which the pain occurs, duration, do they ever occur randomly throughout the day or only upon awakening etc..? Is there ever any other symptoms associated with them such as dizziness, facial tingling/pain etc.?

Last edited by not4sakn; 02-12-2012 at 09:09 PM.

 
Old 02-15-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)
 
esker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 395
esker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB User
Re: Describe YOUR headaches due to TMJD

I would get headaches in my temples and in the forehead over, around and behind the eye. Sometimes there would be tingling or electric shocks in the cheek along the path of the trigeminal nerve.

Never mind the views too much. Most of them are spider bots run by search engines indexing the page.

Last edited by esker; 02-15-2012 at 08:23 AM.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 02-15-2012, 10:43 PM   #3
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: greenville, sc
Posts: 37
not4sakn HB User
Re: Describe YOUR headaches due to TMJD

Quote:
Originally Posted by esker View Post
I would get headaches in my temples and in the forehead over, around and behind the eye. Sometimes there would be tingling or electric shocks in the cheek along the path of the trigeminal nerve.

Never mind the views too much. Most of them are spider bots run by search engines indexing the page.
Did the headaches and other symptoms follow a particular pattern or did they occur randomly throughout the day? Do you still have them and what has helped alleviate them?

 
Old 02-20-2012, 11:01 PM   #4
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Flagstaff, AZ, USA
Posts: 3
KurRider HB User
Re: Describe YOUR headaches due to TMJD

I get headaches that are so bad that I have a hard time getting through my day. I usually get them every other day, if not every day. There is no way I can get ahead of my headaches either. its just BAM its there full force. I usually always have a dull ache in my jaw though 24/7.
The headache pain is always in my temples and above my ears, and I notice that all my muscles in my neck get super tense. My vision is blurred slightly, like I cant quite focus on things and It messes with my equilibrium.
Up until now, nothing I would take to try and ease the pain would work. I recently saw my doctor and she gave me 800mg Ibuprofen which does the trick and I take cyclobenzaprine (muscle relaxant) at night because I clench my teeth.
I am going to see a specialist wednesday to hopefully get a long term fix for it.

 
Old 02-21-2012, 05:27 AM   #5
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: greenville, sc
Posts: 37
not4sakn HB User
Re: Describe YOUR headaches due to TMJD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurRider View Post
I get headaches that are so bad that I have a hard time getting through my day. I usually get them every other day, if not every day. There is no way I can get ahead of my headaches either. its just BAM its there full force. I usually always have a dull ache in my jaw though 24/7.
The headache pain is always in my temples and above my ears, and I notice that all my muscles in my neck get super tense. My vision is blurred slightly, like I cant quite focus on things and It messes with my equilibrium.
Up until now, nothing I would take to try and ease the pain would work. I recently saw my doctor and she gave me 800mg Ibuprofen which does the trick and I take cyclobenzaprine (muscle relaxant) at night because I clench my teeth.
I am going to see a specialist wednesday to hopefully get a long term fix for it.
Thank you for the reply and detailed description!

When you say the headaches is just "Bam", does that mean it's a sudden random onset? Do you wake up immediately with it hurting or at some point during the day it randomly occurs?

The reason i ask is because I'm trying to make sense of my own. I tend to constantly have a dull aching headache that feels like tension/band like pressure but randomly throughout the day a more intense headache will show up accompanied by mild dizziness. It may only last minutes at a time at that intensity then subside to the normal dull ache I'm used to.

I do clench and grind at night but i don't always wake up immediately with a headache. It can be hours later while I'm working that i get these random, more intense headaches then it slowly fades. My jaw doesn't always ache either but occasionally it will, along with muscle aches in my neck, facial tingling, brain fog, mildly disoriented, light sensitivity, tinnitus, visual floaters, etc...there seems to be no rhyme or reason for the random paths the symptoms follow, they're all quite random in their appearance.

 
Old 02-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Flagstaff, AZ, USA
Posts: 3
KurRider HB User
Re: Describe YOUR headaches due to TMJD

Sometimes I wake up with them. And sometimes if I get upset I start to clench and then the ache grows and develops into the really bad headaches. I havent noticed that anything else, besides me unknowingly clenching, has set it off. They just come and go as they please generally. Quite unpredictable. And If I go to sleep with one, its almost a sure thing that I will have it just as intense when I wake up.
I have noticed the floaters as well. Do you ever have nausea associated with your symptoms? I am trying to figure out if it is associated with mine or if it is a symptom of something else.

 
Old 02-21-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: greenville, sc
Posts: 37
not4sakn HB User
Re: Describe YOUR headaches due to TMJD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurRider View Post
Sometimes I wake up with them. And sometimes if I get upset I start to clench and then the ache grows and develops into the really bad headaches. I havent noticed that anything else, besides me unknowingly clenching, has set it off. They just come and go as they please generally. Quite unpredictable. And If I go to sleep with one, its almost a sure thing that I will have it just as intense when I wake up.
I have noticed the floaters as well. Do you ever have nausea associated with your symptoms? I am trying to figure out if it is associated with mine or if it is a symptom of something else.
The only time I have noticed nausea is from extensive computer usage. When sitting in that position too long my neck aches so badly that I sometimes feel sick. Needless to say, once I recognized this I cut down on my usage.

 
Old 02-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,485
tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Re: Describe YOUR headaches due to TMJD

not4sakn, your symptoms sound very similar to mine! Although I haven't been diagnosed with TMJ disorder, I'm definitely looking into it more. Most of my discomfort is in the base of my skull and neck, which made me think it must be an issue there. A few people said I should also really look into TMJ disorder because sometimes this area is greatly affected. I always have a dull ache as well and the pressure can really be debilitating. I hear that many TMJ headaches are worst in the morning due to grinding and clenching of the teeth at night... I used to be this way but recently have been doing MUCH better with grinding and clenching, so it is worse as the day goes on for me. My jaw definitely pops a lot, but I also feel a popping sensation in the base of my skull/top of neck. The joints feel stiff and as they are "crunching" at times. The muscles are very tight and some areas are tender. I have a trigger point therapy book and find the TMJ exercises to be pretty painful to do. TMJ disorder definitely makes the most sense for my tinnitus.

I'm curious to hear more replies as well! I've had so many suggestions that I'm overwhelmed about what to do, especially since I've already spent a lot of time and money trying other things.

Oh and PS - I do have a desk job and work on a computer. I feel my worst when sitting at the computer or any long period of sitting. I try to get up and move around often, but it's still a struggle for me.

Last edited by tUrRrRa; 02-28-2012 at 08:19 PM.

 
Closed Thread




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Botox
Flexeril
Ibuprofen
Klonopin Motrin
  Neurontin
Tylenol
Valium
Vioxx
Xanax




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



MountainReader (77), Canuck65 (32), Shirlett (26), TMJ82 (22), Jill 227 (17), judye (16), Marlene (13), navymid (10), clencher1 (9), saltyk9 (8)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1164), MSJayhawk (997), Apollo123 (896), Titchou (832), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (757), ladybud (745), sammy64 (666), midwest1 (665), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:29 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!