It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Shirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB User
Hello!

Hi Everyone!

I will be checking in at 6:30am tomorrow at Shands OR, Dr. D. is going to put my jaw back inplace, put arch bars in and wire me shut for 8-16 weeks. Since the left Fossa TMJ Concept was removed January 26, 2011, the remaining implant on the left has slid up and my jaw is severely out of place. I am not in any pain and still have been off all medication since October. While I am out I will be taken to CT and have a 3D CT SCAN done to get the correct measurements for a new left Fossa. Right now my left TMJ Concept Condylar head has slid above where my left Fossa should be and is pressing into my skull. Since I have not been opened up and all we have are black and white scans, it looks like the Condylar head has rubbed an indention and/or the start of a hole in my skull, so the left TMJ Concept Fossa MUST be replaced. Also since the TMJ Concept Condylar head is so far up it is blocking a clear scan of the left Fossa area so TMJ Concepts can not get the proper measurements to make me a new left Fossa until the remaining left TMJ Concept is put back in place. Since I do not wish to dammage and or destroy the right side TMJ Concept I have agreed to the arch bars remaining in until the surgery to put in the new left Tmj Concept Fossa which (fingers crossed) will be about June 13, 2012. Iam also hopeful (or I could just be plaing mind games with myself) that once the pain and discomft is gone from the surgery tomorrow, my body will have time to heal and adjust to the left side being in the correct place so when the TMJ Concept left Fossa is placed in the discomfort, pain and adjustment period will not be as bad.

Right now my FEAR is the pain and discomfort I know I will be in once awaken tomorrow in recovery and I am VERY scared it will not go away. Ten years ago if someone had told me I would be pain free again in this life I would have called them a liar! But I am here and I want to STAY here! So tomorrow a new TMJ battle begins on my road.

For ALL of you "Newbie's" PLEASE GET SECOND AND THIRD OPINION from a Accredited Oral Surgeon! Surgery should ALWAYS be your last option! Once you get on the "Surgery Rollar Coaster" you will never get off. Tomorow will be my 16th Jaw Surgery in 19 years! Check your OS out. Ask for references. Call your local Better Business Bureau. Check with the American Association Of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. Do your research and most important, if you are not comfortable LEAVE! This is YOUR BODY, YOUR DECISION! NEVER allow any one to "talk you in to surgery" or any other procedure you do not fully understand and/or are not comfortable with.

I wish every one the Best Day they can have! Stay positive and remember you are NEVER ALONE on this TMJ Journey!
Take Care!
Shirlett

The following user gives a hug of support to Shirlett:
navymid (04-17-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #2
(female)

navymid HB Usernavymid HB Usernavymid HB Usernavymid HB Usernavymid HB User
Re: Hello!

Shirlett!! I want to give you a big hug! I am so sorry you are going through another surgery. I actually went to the VA hospital there right across the street from Shands back in January, for the disability determination for my jaw. I thought of you when I was there. Needless to say, the dr at the VA had never seen anything like my TMJ history in the military before.
I will be saying a prayer for you tomorrow. I understand your fear of starting the pain-cycle again. I am still in incredibly amounts of pain from my TMJR in July, and am undergoing PT and speech therapy for swallowing and chewing as well. I've had 9 TMJ surgeries in 6 years, and am only 24. Therefore, I KNOW more surgeries are in my future.
Thank you for your advice for all of us! My heart goes out to you. I hope everything goes well tomorrow!

Old 04-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Shirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB User

Thanks NavyMid,

The ONLY GOOD THING ABOUT TMJ is we all have each other and I think this board is an EXCELLANT SUPPORT SYSTEM! If we can get the left Fossa right, once I heal all would be GREAT. I know recovery is slow, hard and at times you may think you have made the wrong decision, BUT do not give up! I look back now and had I gave in and up when the first set of TMJ Concepts broke I would have NEVER become pain free and medication free again in this life. I do not know how to explain it really, but to me it seems once I got that FIRST take of pain free and NO medication after the loooooooog healing with the first set of TMJ Concepts, it became like a drug. My family has been dealing with my baby sister being hooked on meth and prescription medication for the past year and she is now clean for two months but watching her chasing that "high" made me see how I chase that "Pain Free, Great Function & NO MEDICATION" how most of the population lives on a day to day basis! HAHA! I NEVER, EVER allowed myself to think I would live pain free, with function and without any medication in this lifetime and I DO NOT WANT TO GIVE IT UP! But I know if I destroy the right side and the remaining left side TMJ Concepts the pain will return. This last set Dave made for me, I do not even feel them. I have gone DAYS without thinking about TMJ or even thinking that I have jaw implants. I am only 41 and my children have had to grow up everyday thinking Mommy was gonna die and Mommy missed MANY things in thier lives because of the TMJ by either being in pain or too high on pain medication and now we have 3 out on thier own, 2 are married and my baby (16) will be gone in two more years, I want to do things with my children and 3 grand babies, I want to make those memories with my children to try and replace the "bad ones." I feel sometimes TMJ made me a bad Mom. I know I am lucky to have such a loving and suppotive husband and he does step up and in with the kids, but with my 2 oldest (22 & 23) Prom is a blur, Graduation from High School is a blur, both Weddings were a blur, I feel they got cheated because of my TMJ and since I have been pain free (15 months) and off ALL the medicaiton ( 6 months) there is so much I want to do with them to make "Good Memories."

NavyMid, Just never give up. Keep moving forward, if you fall or slow down, it is okay, pick yourself up and move at your body's speed, it will get better someday and you will be a MUCH stronger person because of the road you have traveled. I look back at "TMJ Treatment" when I was first diagnosed and WOW, treatment has moved so far forward in the past 20 years and the last 10 the surgeries have progressed so can you even think what another 5, 10, 15 or 20 years will bring not only to help us but the newbies?

The one thing I tell myself over and over is "I did NOT do this to myself." Yes, I was in a car accident that was not my fault and then I had a BAD OS, I can not control my TMJ and when I was in pain, I could not control my pain. BUT I can control my attitude and the amount of effort I put out in NOT allowing the TMJ to consume me, my life and my loved ones. I refused to give in and allow the TMJ to "ruin my life", it is STILL MY LIFE! I educated myself on everything I could find on TMJ and treatment and when I walk in tomorrow morning I have three full sheets of notebook paper with questions on it and I expect answers BEFORE I sign the consent to surgery. You are much STRONGER than you think.

Take Care of Yourself and NEVER GIVE UP!
Shirlett

Old 04-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
(female)

sarahblue HB User

[QUOTE=Shirlett;4963300]Thanks NavyMid,

The ONLY GOOD THING ABOUT TMJ is we all have each other and I think this board is an EXCELLANT SUPPORT SYSTEM! If we can get the left Fossa right, once I heal all would be GREAT. I know recovery is slow, hard and at times you may think you have made the wrong decision, BUT do not give up! I look back now and had I gave in and up when the first set of TMJ Concepts broke I would have NEVER become pain free and medication free again in this life. I do not know how to explain it really, but to me it seems once I got that FIRST take of pain free and NO medication after the loooooooog healing with the first set of TMJ Concepts, it became like a drug. My family has been dealing with my baby sister being hooked on meth and prescription medication for the past year and she is now clean for two months but watching her chasing that "high" made me see how I chase that "Pain Free, Great Function & NO MEDICATION" how most of the population lives on a day to day basis! HAHA! I NEVER, EVER allowed myself to think I would live pain free, with function and without any medication in this lifetime and I DO NOT WANT TO GIVE IT UP! But I know if I destroy the right side and the remaining left side TMJ Concepts the pain will return. This last set Dave made for me, I do not even feel them. I have gone DAYS without thinking about TMJ or even thinking that I have jaw implants. I am only 41 and my children have had to grow up everyday thinking Mommy was gonna die and Mommy missed MANY things in thier lives because of the TMJ by either being in pain or too high on pain medication and now we have 3 out on thier own, 2 are married and my baby (16) will be gone in two more years, I want to do things with my children and 3 grand babies, I want to make those memories with my children to try and replace the "bad ones." I feel sometimes TMJ made me a bad Mom. I know I am lucky to have such a loving and suppotive husband and he does step up and in with the kids, but with my 2 oldest (22 & 23) Prom is a blur, Graduation from High School is a blur, both Weddings were a blur, I feel they got cheated because of my TMJ and since I have been pain free (15 months) and off ALL the medicaiton ( 6 months) there is so much I want to do with them to make "Good Memories."

NavyMid, Just never give up. Keep moving forward, if you fall or slow down, it is okay, pick yourself up and move at your body's speed, it will get better someday and you will be a MUCH stronger person because of the road you have traveled. I look back at "TMJ Treatment" when I was first diagnosed and WOW, treatment has moved so far forward in the past 20 years and the last 10 the surgeries have progressed so can you even think what another 5, 10, 15 or 20 years will bring not only to help us but the newbies?

The one thing I tell myself over and over is "I did NOT do this to myself." Yes, I was in a car accident that was not my fault and then I had a BAD OS, I can not control my TMJ and when I was in pain, I could not control my pain. BUT I can control my attitude and the amount of effort I put out in NOT allowing the TMJ to consume me, my life and my loved ones. I refused to give in and allow the TMJ to "ruin my life", it is STILL MY LIFE! I educated myself on everything I could find on TMJ and treatment and when I walk in tomorrow morning I have three full sheets of notebook paper with questions on it and I expect answers BEFORE I sign the consent to surgery. You are much STRONGER than you think.

Take Care of Yourself and NEVER GIVE UP!
Shirlett[/QUOT

Old 04-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
(female)

sarahblue HB User

Hi shirlett what a brave lady ! I've been reading your story and how much pain you was in . Wishing you a speedy recovery ! Are you having the operation with the same surgeon who done your last implants . Will be thinking of you

The Following User Says Thank You to sarahblue For This Useful Post:
Shirlett (04-21-2012)
Old 04-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

SarahBlue,

THANKS! Yes, I have been under the "treatment" of Dr. Dolwick since November 29, 1999.

Everthing went as well as it could. I had an issue in "recovery" they were holding me hostage for 3 hours.....UGH...over a shot of Tylenol...I am not even going to get into that...Dr. D. put the arch bars in and he was able to get my jaw in place, where it should be by lining up my teeth BUT was unable to get it to stay in place even with the wires, it starting sliding and pulling my teeth..UGH..I thought it was going to pull my teeth out! The 3D CT SCAN was done and it seemd they were able to get my left side in place long enough for TMJ Concepts to get good measurements and make a new left Fossa implant. My fear has not come to pass yet, still no "jaw PAIN", my jaw line is sore from them putting it back in place and trying to make it stay, and of course the arch bars are very annoying, feels like my teeth are being squeezed with pliers, some discomfort but I am dealing with it. I took some pain medication on Wednesday but have not had any since Thursday. So 8-16 weeks with the arch bars and we will move forward.

EVERYONE, STAY STRONG!! YOU ARE NOT ALONE! have the BEST day you can!
Take Care!
Shirlett

Old 04-21-2012, 10:16 AM   #7
(female)

navymid HB Usernavymid HB Usernavymid HB Usernavymid HB Usernavymid HB User

Shirlett,
I'm so glad to hear from you. Sorry things were complicated! Are you back home now?
That's good that you aren't in too much pain. I hope it stays that way for you.
I'll pray the arch bars agents too uncomfortable!

Old 04-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
(female)

pamo810 HB Userpamo810 HB Userpamo810 HB User

Hi Shirlett!

I am sooo sorry that you had to go through surgery AGAIN! You keep hoping that everything will work out and then you need more surgery. I'm keeping you in my prayers and thoughts for a great outcome and short healing time!

Take care

Pam

Old 05-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #9
(female)

sarahblue HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirlett View Post
SarahBlue,

THANKS! Yes, I have been under the "treatment" of Dr. Dolwick since November 29, 1999.

Everthing went as well as it could. I had an issue in "recovery" they were holding me hostage for 3 hours.....UGH...over a shot of Tylenol...I am not even going to get into that...Dr. D. put the arch bars in and he was able to get my jaw in place, where it should be by lining up my teeth BUT was unable to get it to stay in place even with the wires, it starting sliding and pulling my teeth..UGH..I thought it was going to pull my teeth out! The 3D CT SCAN was done and it seemd they were able to get my left side in place long enough for TMJ Concepts to get good measurements and make a new left Fossa implant. My fear has not come to pass yet, still no "jaw PAIN", my jaw line is sore from them putting it back in place and trying to make it stay, and of course the arch bars are very annoying, feels like my teeth are being squeezed with pliers, some discomfort but I am dealing with it. I took some pain medication on Wednesday but have not had any since Thursday. So 8-16 weeks with the arch bars and we will move forward.

EVERYONE, STAY STRONG!! YOU ARE NOT ALONE! have the BEST day you can!
Take Care!
Shirlett
That's really good news shirlett ! Sounds like your in good hands with your surgeon ! I can't believe how many surgerys you have been through !

Closed Thread