It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
(male)

jamiefairlie HB User
Entering Phase 2 braces - any success stories to share?

Hi all,

I'm just about to start my phase 2. I'll have my braces fitted within the next few weeks. I'm really worried about the pain getting really bad again so can anyone share their experience so I know what may happen?

It's a long slow journey this one but I feel I'm getting somewhere :-)

Old 04-17-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
(female)

Jen190 HB User
Re: Entering Phase 2 braces - any success stories to share?

Hi Jamie,

Just curious- did your phase one treatment recapture the tmj disc? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2012, 03:02 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

pipdog HB Userpipdog HB User

I started phase 2 17 months ago. For a long while nothing much happened but in the last few months my jaw is feeling a LOT better.
My upper jaw was underdeveloped trapping my lower jaw too far back which over time had damaged both my TMJs. I had 4 premolars extracted for braces as a teenager so both jaws were 2 teeth short of their proper size.
I'm wearing upper and lower ALFs to develop the bones the teeth are attached to, my face is changing a lot, wider mid-face and more symetrical, the final stage will be Damon braces for the last 6 months in about a years time.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pipdog For This Useful Post:
jamiefairlie (04-24-2012), judye (04-24-2012)
Old 04-18-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
(male)

jbuilder2 HB User

I'm 3 weeks into a splint in phase 1 and not getting much change yet. Lots of pain still. Can you share your phase I story. Could use some positive stories.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
(female)

llarstone HB User

Just finished phase 2 and the best advise I can give is follow all instructions and WEAR YOUR ELASTICS!!!! Even though they may be uncomfortable and you will sometimes feel like you have a mouthfull of cotton balls and when you laugh you may take out someones eye.... this is the only way to move the teeth into place. I closed an open bite of 5 mm so this does work!

Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to llarstone For This Useful Post:
jamiefairlie (04-24-2012)
Old 04-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #6
(female)

Jen190 HB User

Hi Ilarstone,

May I ask who your dr is?

Thanks,

Jen

Old 04-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #7
(female)

llarstone HB User

Dr. Brock Rondeau

Old 04-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #8
(male)

jbuilder2 HB User

Ilarstone
can you post your phase 1 and phase 2 stories please. Don't see them anywhere.

Thanks

Old 04-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #9
(female)

llarstone HB User

Well, it's pretty straight forward. I had Stage 3 anterior disc displacement, a very deep bite, a bit of crowding and a very large click on the left condyle. I was lucky with symptoms as I only had intermitent locking, tired jaw after eating, stuffy and itchy ear, asymmetrical face (6 mm canted!) and some tenderness of the face muscles.

I was fitted with a lower repositioning splint which I worn religiously for 1 year! As soon as the lower splint was inserted my disc recaptured and I could not go back to my original bite. I had this splint all day and only took it out to clean it. At night I had an anterior deprogrammer that covered the top and had a bite plate at the front to keep my jaw forward all night.

I was left with an anterior and posterior open bite (front and back teeth) The lower splint was shaved back to let my back molars passively erupt which they did. Once the back molars were touching I was fitted with braces and began wearing elastics on my back teeth to bring them up the 5 mm so they would touch. I had buildups on my lower bicuspids to keep the jaw stable and help me chew. Over the course of 2 years the elastics moved the teeth up into position, the buildups came off and the bite closed.

I now have a textbook condyle placement, no more locking, clicking, stuffiness and tired jaw and the bite is textbook at 1 mm overjet, 1 mm overbite! At night I wear an EMA appliance (snoring appliance) to keep the jaw forward at night and it also helps my snoring!

That's pretty much it! The left condyle even recontured and is now the same size as the right condyle. Pretty neat stuff!

Old 04-20-2012, 01:01 PM   #10
(female)

Jen190 HB User

Hi llarstone,

May I ask what Stage 3 anterior disc displacement is? Is it closed lock / withouth reduction? How long did you have it before your treatment? Did your splint help recapture the disc within a month?

Thank you!

Jen

Old 04-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiefairlie View Post
Hi all,

I'm just about to start my phase 2. I'll have my braces fitted within the next few weeks. I'm really worried about the pain getting really bad again so can anyone share their experience so I know what may happen?

It's a long slow journey this one but I feel I'm getting somewhere :-)
Hi Jamie,

I started Phase II 7 months and 3 weeks ago. I have worn a lower mandibular repositioning splint since June 2010.

So far, I'm only wearing upper braces with the repositioning splint. They are working on widening my upper arch and erupting some of my lower molars prior to getting my lower braces on. I'd hoped to get them at the 8 month mark, but the eruptions are going slow so my next step is a bit away.

When I got my braces, my teeth hurt most during the first week and were tender for the first month, but that got better. For me, I had a lot of tooth movement during that time. You may be a bit sore after adjustments (if you are wearing ligs) and wire changes. If it hurts to eat something, than just avoid that for a bit. For the most part, you can do whatever you want. If your mouth hurts a lot, there is a great little gadget called gumFreeze which helps with the pain. It uses cold to help subdue the pain. Honestly, the pain has been much less that what I anticipated.

I did have some flare of tmjd muscle spasm pain at times while adjusting to my braces though. For that, I have used the strategies I learned over the past couple years. I did take a low dose muscle relaxer for a bit during that first month, but that was mostly because my muscles were spasming due to having to adjust not wearing a custom night splint that had done wonders for me and my tmjd/ear pain. Eventually I started wearing elastics to hold my jaw forward while sleeping and that solved my spasming.

Good luck on your Phase II journey.

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainReader For This Useful Post:
jamiefairlie (04-24-2012)
Closed Thread