It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2012, 07:28 AM   #1
(female)

TMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB User
Jaw hangs lower on one side/ is slanted

If I touch underneath my jaw (where the ridges of the mandible are located), the left side appears to hang much lower than the right side. In other words, my jaw is slanted. My chin is also very visibly slanted to the right, and the right ridge of the jaw appears to be more flat compared to the left side that is more curved.
This worries me. Have anybody else experienced this? Does it stay all the time or comes and goes? How are you managing this?

Old 04-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
(male)

jbuilder2 HB User
Re: Jaw hangs lower on one side/ is slanted

my upper jaw is slanted with the left side being higher. The lower jaw is the same. My dentist said its not that unusual and given that both jaws are like that I've probably had it since birth. I went back and looked at some old pictures and that does appear to be the case. Slight, but noticeable if you are looking for it. He said this predisposes me to TMJ problems on the left side, but lots of people are like that.

Mine is permanent so it doesn't change. If yours changes it maybe be the muscles tightening up are adjusting it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2012, 07:29 AM   #3
(female)

TMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB User

jbuilder2
if I understand you correctly, the upper jaw slant is called "an occlusal cant" and in most cases only treatable with surgery. Especially since you agree that you have probably had it before.
My lower jaw used to be flat before all this started, and even now it is changing positions. The left side will hang lower most of the time, but sometimes the right side will be lower - and that is when I usually have muscle cramping on the right. I am very confused and frustrated with this. How do I make it stop? I know it should not be that way and is unlikely to do any good to my joints.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:55 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

pipdog HB Userpipdog HB User

Its a structural problem stemming from the fact that your upper jaw is also slanting. The upper jaw is like a template which the lower has to adapt to in order to close into.
I know much more about all this stuff than I ever wanted to.
I'm now having my bite treated orthodontically, first both arches are being expanded side to side and front to back, later I will be getting unilateral elastics to lower the high side (left) and even everything out.
The front and side of the face are criss-crossed by muscles which move the jaw, if the jaw becomes malpositioned as in the case of a 'maxilliary cant' then those muscles on one side will start having to overcompensate, fatigue and eventually become painful.

Closed Thread