It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
(female)

Sports555 HB User
Tingling/numbness and shock-like pain in hands

I have been told I have muscular TMD.

New thing transpired. So wonderful. About a month ago I woke up with severe right sided neck and collarbone pain. It hurts, A LOT. Two days later the hellish hand symptoms started... I have tingling, numbness, cramping, shock-like pains in my fingers and hands that is worsened by flexing wrists and bending arms. I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel via EMG one year ago, mild/moderate in both hands BUT this isn't just carpal tunnel because it involves my entire hand, all fingers and again this started waking up with severe right sided collarbone and neck pain. I have chronic neck pain to begin with but this neck and collarbone stuff was acute and different. I went to a regular doctor who thought it was thoracic outlet syndrome but I don't know if that is it or it's TMD related, or both is going on.. or something all together different!

Does anyone have this and what could be the reasoning behind it? I have to shake my hands sometimes to get feeling in them and then the *****ling starts. This is so horrible. I kind of have electric feelings in my feet off and on too but I don't know if that's the clenching and body bracing because I am so stressed out over the upper stuff I have going on or what!

Thanks.
'

Last edited by Sports555; 04-23-2012 at 05:08 PM.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Tingling/numbness and shock-like pain in hands

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

When one muscle is chronically tense or spasmed, the neighboring muscles will also develop tension. The jaw muscles connect to the neck and upper shoulder muscles, and spasms there can cause nerve pinch symptoms in the hands and arms. For me, it actually started with hand pain at age 18.

What helps? First and foremost, stretching. It has to be the right stretches, though, and you have to do them carefully. I never roll my neck, just tilt it gently to one side and then the other. I also get a professional massage as often as I can afford. And a few times a year, I get trigger point injections into the deepest knots.

Yes, the pain can get pretty bad. But I'm better now than I was a few years ago, so hang in there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #3
(female)

Sports555 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.
LOL!

Quote:
When one muscle is chronically tense or spasmed, the neighboring muscles will also develop tension. The jaw muscles connect to the neck and upper shoulder muscles, and spasms there can cause nerve pinch symptoms in the hands and arms. For me, it actually started with hand pain at age 18.

What helps? First and foremost, stretching. It has to be the right stretches, though, and you have to do them carefully. I never roll my neck, just tilt it gently to one side and then the other. I also get a professional massage as often as I can afford. And a few times a year, I get trigger point injections into the deepest knots.

Yes, the pain can get pretty bad. But I'm better now than I was a few years ago, so hang in there.
Thank you for your response.

Yes, I am tight as a drum in the neck and shoulders. Questions...

1. What kind of doctor should I be seeing for this? Would a neuro dentist help all of this or should I see someone else?
2. Should I go ahead with the PT or just see a massage therapist? Both?
3. Did you have any issues with your feet at all or just the hands?
4. Who gives you the trigger point injections?

Thanks!

Last edited by Sports555; 04-23-2012 at 06:00 PM.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

2) Try PT. If you have insurance, it's cheaper than massage.

3) I do occasionally have problems in my feet, if my lower back gets very tight.

4) A pain management doctor or physiatrist does the trigger point injections. It has to be a doctor, and you want one who does it a lot. If the needle doesn't go in exactly the right spot, the injections are useless.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
(female)

Sports555 HB User

Thank you!

I just made an appointment with a pain management clinic today but cannot get in for another three weeks.

Did your hands cramp up and feel pain, numbness, tingling all at once? This is such an annoying symptom!

Old 04-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sometimes, yeah. It comes and it goes. Sometimes it'll be in just one or two fingers, sometimes it's my whole hand. This morning my feet were numb, stayed numb through grocery shopping. Gone now, though.

At this point, honestly, I try not to think about it. Treat it, yes, but otherwise I ignore it mostly.

Closed Thread