It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2012, 07:02 AM   #1
(female)

IndyGirl1 HB UserIndyGirl1 HB User
Smile Biofreeze Really Helped Neck Pain for a While

Hello Everyone,

My name is Misty and I live in Indianapolis. You may remember me as I posted about 6 months ago under a different name (mistylea) I believe is what it was. I had trouble logging in and decided enough was enough and got a new password and login.

When my tmj first started getting bad about a year and a half ago I developed severe neck pain and a few months later occipital neuralgia on the left back side of my head that sent ice pick like nerve pain shooting into my skull and stopping somewhere behind my left eye.

After using biofreeze cold therapy gel on my entire neck and shoulder area for a couple of days I was able to get the occipital nerve to calm down and my shooting head pain subsided. THANK GOD! It also eased the neck tension in my neck and upper back. I also use it on my lower back as that area gets sore also.

It is not a cure all but it helps so so so much. I would take anything over that shooting head pain all day. I thought I was dieing.

Although I now have significant stifness in my jaw muscles on the left side I am much more hopeful and happy than the way I was half a year ago. I truly hope this helps someone.

I also heard of a lady placing a little on her jaw joint area for a few days and getting significant relief. Please try this gel you can get it online and sometimes at chiropractor and/or massage therapy offices.

Quick Question for anyone who may have insight on this.... does anyone have symptoms seem to switch sides? When my neck is tight on the left my left side of head hurts, but then it can switch to my right side of neck being tight and pain is in my right side of face and head. This truly leads me to believe most of the pain is coming from the neck?? What do you guys think?

A while back I was going to try an upper cervical chiro, but I have heard many people have that done and experience terrible dizziness. That is why I decided to try the gel first. So glad I did. I believe the pain and dysfunction lies mainly within the muscles and whatever we can do to strengthen/balance/loosen them will help significantly.

I wish you all pain free days.

Love,

Misty

The Following User Says Thank You to IndyGirl1 For This Useful Post:
janewhite1 (04-26-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

judye HB Userjudye HB Userjudye HB Userjudye HB Userjudye HB User
Re: Biofreeze Really Helped Neck Pain for a While

Hi Misty,

Thanks for the Biofreeze tip...anything that may help reduce the pain is worth a try.

I did see a chiro with a specialty in TMJ to do an atlas adjustment (I needed one and my neuromuscular dentist felt strongly that it would help - I have pretty severe pain from TMJD). I had intense dizziness and felt completely lost in space for 2-3 weeks afterward. Walking was totally weird for a few days and driving was out of the questions for at least a week. It took weeks for me to feel fully normal again and I was really worried it was never going to happen! Overall, I feel my chiro treatments have helped but this was a very scary experience to go through and unless you really need it (get an x-ray to show how bad your atlas is first), I would hold off!

Other thoughts for your muscular issues - have you tried acupuncture, trigger point or buying an at-home tens unit?

Best of luck,

Melissa
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGirl1 View Post
Hello Everyone,

My name is Misty and I live in Indianapolis. You may remember me as I posted about 6 months ago under a different name (mistylea) I believe is what it was. I had trouble logging in and decided enough was enough and got a new password and login.

When my tmj first started getting bad about a year and a half ago I developed severe neck pain and a few months later occipital neuralgia on the left back side of my head that sent ice pick like nerve pain shooting into my skull and stopping somewhere behind my left eye.

After using biofreeze cold therapy gel on my entire neck and shoulder area for a couple of days I was able to get the occipital nerve to calm down and my shooting head pain subsided. THANK GOD! It also eased the neck tension in my neck and upper back. I also use it on my lower back as that area gets sore also.

It is not a cure all but it helps so so so much. I would take anything over that shooting head pain all day. I thought I was dieing.

Although I now have significant stifness in my jaw muscles on the left side I am much more hopeful and happy than the way I was half a year ago. I truly hope this helps someone.

I also heard of a lady placing a little on her jaw joint area for a few days and getting significant relief. Please try this gel you can get it online and sometimes at chiropractor and/or massage therapy offices.

Quick Question for anyone who may have insight on this.... does anyone have symptoms seem to switch sides? When my neck is tight on the left my left side of head hurts, but then it can switch to my right side of neck being tight and pain is in my right side of face and head. This truly leads me to believe most of the pain is coming from the neck?? What do you guys think?

A while back I was going to try an upper cervical chiro, but I have heard many people have that done and experience terrible dizziness. That is why I decided to try the gel first. So glad I did. I believe the pain and dysfunction lies mainly within the muscles and whatever we can do to strengthen/balance/loosen them will help significantly.

I wish you all pain free days.

Love,

Misty

Old 04-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
(female)

IndyGirl1 HB UserIndyGirl1 HB User

Hi There Melissa,

Thank you for responding, I am sorry to hear about all of the dizziness. That must be horrible and terrifying. I am glad to hear you are happy with your treatment. I agree that even a little improvement is worth it.

I have tried accupuncture, but I don't think I really gave it a good try due to the fact I only went three times. I believe I should have kept with it to see any results. I have heard nothing but good things about it. My trouble is believeing in treatments.

I have tried splint therapy that only resulted in more pain and thus am afraid of doctors in general. Not a good problem to have with tmj.

How did your tmj start? Where does your pain mainly reside? I hope you are doing well today.

Misty

Old 05-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

judye HB Userjudye HB Userjudye HB Userjudye HB Userjudye HB User

Hi again Misty,

I tried regular acupuncture (general treatment) for TMJ (about 8 sessions) and it did nothing for me...it was only once I saw someone who had experience doing acupuncture treatment specifically for the jaw that I felt some improvement.

I really don't know about your situation - everyone is so different, but i wanted to let you know that am suffer from pretty intense TMJ symptoms. Once I got my splint, things got much worse (for about 5 months) before they got better (much, much better). This is the case for some...I'm not sure that it means the splint isn't working if you feel pain at first with the splint. Again, it might and if you don't have a good dentist that might certainly be the case.

Wish you well in your journey to wellness!

Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGirl1 View Post
Hi There Melissa,

Thank you for responding, I am sorry to hear about all of the dizziness. That must be horrible and terrifying. I am glad to hear you are happy with your treatment. I agree that even a little improvement is worth it.

I have tried accupuncture, but I don't think I really gave it a good try due to the fact I only went three times. I believe I should have kept with it to see any results. I have heard nothing but good things about it. My trouble is believeing in treatments.

I have tried splint therapy that only resulted in more pain and thus am afraid of doctors in general. Not a good problem to have with tmj.

How did your tmj start? Where does your pain mainly reside? I hope you are doing well today.

Misty

Closed Thread