It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
(male)

Potter bryan HB User
Tinnitus after neck strain or tmj?

Hey everyone, great forum with lots of useful information. I have had tinnitus for about four weeks now- it started immediately following a dental appointment. After much research I believe it may simply be due to overstraining my neck muscles after having my jaw wide for an hour. It has not gone away at all and seems to have gotten worse after a repeat visit (to place a crown).
Is it possible that, being a type A personality with heavy stress just finally strained neck muscles that are attached to the jaw bone causing some undue pressure near my ears?? My upper back muscles are also very sore after the dental work.
The hissing is very constant and I now understand how debilitating this can be for others.
I have read a few other posts where individuals have directly associated their tinnitus with strained neck muscles. Is there any truth to this?
Thanks for any insight in advance!

The following user gives a hug of support to Potter bryan:
judye (05-23-2012)
Old 05-22-2012, 12:58 AM   #2
(male)

GoMario HB User
Re: Tinnitus after neck strain or tmj?

It is not your neck muscles as such. However, you are right regarding your neck area been a possible culprit. Unfortunately is a much more problematic issue around that. Are you between 30 and 50 years old? And do you experience lower back pains?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

judye HB Userjudye HB Userjudye HB Userjudye HB Userjudye HB User
Re: Tinnitus after neck strain or tmj?

Hey there,

Sorry to hear about the tinnitus - it can be so aggravating. People don't really understand how bothersome it can be until they experience the joys of constant screech-in-the-head for themselves.

This is a tricky one and there's not a lot of research out on this, but from what I've read and from my own personal experience, it seems that TMD symptoms after dental visits are related more to the strain of having your mouth cracked wide open for extended periods of time than anything else.

I only had chronic headaches before an unsuccessful and tricky route canal (where I had my mouth wide open for 2+ hrs) which lead to a series of dental visits. The dental visits seemed to be the match that ignited the full spectrum of TMD symptoms for me, including tinnitus and hyperacusis. Even now, my tinnitus and head pain flare up after dental visit. I saw my dentist yesterday and the usual dull hiss of tinnitus was more like a roar for the rest of the day. I'm now in phase two - braces - and after a couple years of severe pain, I finally started to feel better after several months in my repositional splint.

I see the muscles of the head and neck like an interconnected galaxy of sorts...your ears, jaw, shoulders, neck seem like separate entities but they are all affect eachother, woven together by muscles. With TMJ, muscle issues can create a constellation of symptoms (muscles can do this on their own or because of a structural issue) and if trigger points are formed, sometimes this constellation gets locked up and is difficult to disband without addressing the triggerpoints.

Sounds like it's early days for you and I hope your reaction is a temporary one due dental work only. You could try seeing a cranial sacral therapist, getting massage, visiting a PT who specializes in TMJ/head and neck issues or an acupuncturist to help ease your symptoms. If you have anxiety, you may be clenching without realizing it and that could also be contributing to your situation. Stress is a big contributor to issues in the shoulders, neck and jaw. I have found that learning to deal with my anxiety has greatly helped in reducing my pain and my clenching.

Best of luck to you!

The Following User Says Thank You to judye For This Useful Post:
MissyJ (05-23-2012)
Closed Thread

Tags
dental, jaw pain, neck pain, tinnitus