It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
(female)

9sophia9 HB User
Who has had surgery?

I want to know if anyone has had a positive result from jaw surgery!

So far, everything I read is mostly negative.

Thanks for letting me know!

Sophia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2012, 07:42 AM   #2
(male)

keelanjscott HB User
Re: Who has had surgery?

Hi Sophia,

Here's quick a run down (copied from a post I put on another forum):

I had TMJ symptoms beginning about 2 years ago stemming from a hockey injury. Over the past 2 years I've seen perhaps 7 - 10 dentists to discuss the problem, and have tried splint therapy for multiple months.

Admittedly, I did not wear the splint 100% of the time, but still my doctor confirmed that even with wearing the splint, the tmj "disc" itself would never be re-captured into the joint itself, but would remain displaced.

This displacement caused 1) difficulty talking as my jaw became slightly shifted to the right, and 2) pain due to the grinding of the bones with the disc displaced.

All this said, I had the Mitech Anchor surgery 3 weeks ago by Dr Larry Wolford in Dallas, and thus far I am 100% pleased with it. It didn't come without some financial debt, but, the pain is already below where it was prior to surgery, my facial symmetry is back to normal, and my speech is steadily becoming more and more comfortable as the swelling reduces and I regain full feeling in the lower jaw.

Sorry for the long post here, but, given how long my road has been, and I know others have had longer roads, I wanted to share what steps I've done, and share that so far, the Mitech Anchor has been a great solution for me.

Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me if you have questions.

-Keelan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
(female)

Susie564 HB User

Hi Sophia,

Is it still the IVRO that you are thinking of having? I can't offer any advise unfortunately - but can empathise as we're kind of in similar situations, I guess.

I'm due to have a bilateral eminectomy - just got a call from the hospital today and they're bringing me in on the 26th June! I'm pretty terrified

Like you, I've read lots of "don't have surgery" stories on the web - my surgeon assures me that he has had a good success rate with this treatment and he is the at the top of this field, here anyway. No one else is offering me any other ideas and so I feel I have to try this - nervous tho!

I just hope to God it helps!!!

Susie.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
(female)

Georgek04 HB UserGeorgek04 HB UserGeorgek04 HB User

Unfortunately, I had an unfavorable outcome with the Miteks with the same surgeon as Keelan. I have had threee surgeries since the Miteks by the same surgeon (Lefort, BSSO, and bilateral prostheses) that were all unfavorable. The Miteks also causes suspicious tissue that the surgeon in Dallas failed to run a complete pathology on.

I am told by a second opinion doctor that the Miteks have created resorption by a great majority of patients. Furthermore, he stated he has redone quite a few Mitek surgery patients that had complications from Keelan's surgeon. Keelan, you may want to ask your surgeon about resorption with the Miteks and sensitivity problems reported by a great number of Mitek patients.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Shirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB User

HELLO To ALL!!

First, Surgery should ALWAYS BE YOUR LAST OPTION! I have had 16 jaw surgeries in the past 19 years, I am currently without my left TMJ Concept Fossa and will return to the OR on July 18th to replace it for the third time. I can tell you that after all the pain and suffering I have been living in over this long, long road of TMJ, for the first time in 19 years I am pain free, my opening is 52mm and I am NOT taking any medication or OTC except the Walmart version of a multi vitiamin. I feel better than I did before my auto accident. That being said, I KNOW I could wake up tomorrow, some thing break or come out of place and the pain could flood in and take over my life! I URGE you to get a second opinion, really think before you act and if you are uncomfortable TALK to your doctor. This is YOUR body and YOU call all the shots. If your doctor is not responsive or blows you off, FIND ANOTHER ONE! None of us reacts, recovers or even live with TMJ alike. We are all differant and we react to pain in differant levels, we share a HORRID "Disorder." Yes, we can learn from each other and we SHOULD support one another because "WE KNOW WHAT WE ARE LIVING WITH" even when other's are unable to "SEE IT." For me, I would not change what I have had to live through to get to where I am today. Again, I know I may not remain pain free with great function for the rest of my life on this earth, but for now I am so happy to be where I am. If the odds were not stacked against me I would continue living without the left TMJ Concept Fossa, but I am putting too much "wear & tear" on my right complete set and have no desire to break or destroy it. Already had one set break in my head and it really, really hurts! Research, talk to others on this support group and educate yourself on what options YOU have and should you decide to go forward with surgery be aware that 99% of the time surgery starts a life long rollar coaster of surgery and you have to be ready to get on that ride. There are a few lucky ones out there, two were on this board (Hello!), that only had one or two surgeries and you may be one of the lucky ones, but PLEASE do not rush into surgery, there is NO QUICK FIX FOR TMJ and it will never go away but you can learn to live with it and not let it take control of you and your life. I hope you get some answers that will help you and I urge you to take your time when making a forever life altering desicion such as surgery.
I wish you Great Luck!
Take care!
Shirlett

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shirlett For This Useful Post:
judye (06-15-2012), Susie564 (06-16-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
(female)

Georgek04 HB UserGeorgek04 HB UserGeorgek04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirlett View Post
HELLO To ALL!!

First, Surgery should ALWAYS BE YOUR LAST OPTION! I have had 16 jaw surgeries in the past 19 years, I am currently without my left TMJ Concept Fossa and will return to the OR on July 18th to replace it for the third time. I can tell you that after all the pain and suffering I have been living in over this long, long road of TMJ, for the first time in 19 years I am pain free, my opening is 52mm and I am NOT taking any medication or OTC except the Walmart version of a multi vitiamin. I feel better than I did before my auto accident. That being said, I KNOW I could wake up tomorrow, some thing break or come out of place and the pain could flood in and take over my life! I URGE you to get a second opinion, really think before you act and if you are uncomfortable TALK to your doctor. This is YOUR body and YOU call all the shots. If your doctor is not responsive or blows you off, FIND ANOTHER ONE! None of us reacts, recovers or even live with TMJ alike. We are all differant and we react to pain in differant levels, we share a HORRID "Disorder." Yes, we can learn from each other and we SHOULD support one another because "WE KNOW WHAT WE ARE LIVING WITH" even when other's are unable to "SEE IT." For me, I would not change what I have had to live through to get to where I am today. Again, I know I may not remain pain free with great function for the rest of my life on this earth, but for now I am so happy to be where I am. If the odds were not stacked against me I would continue living without the left TMJ Concept Fossa, but I am putting too much "wear & tear" on my right complete set and have no desire to break or destroy it. Already had one set break in my head and it really, really hurts! Research, talk to others on this support group and educate yourself on what options YOU have and should you decide to go forward with surgery be aware that 99% of the time surgery starts a life long rollar coaster of surgery and you have to be ready to get on that ride. There are a few lucky ones out there, two were on this board (Hello!), that only had one or two surgeries and you may be one of the lucky ones, but PLEASE do not rush into surgery, there is NO QUICK FIX FOR TMJ and it will never go away but you can learn to live with it and not let it take control of you and your life. I hope you get some answers that will help you and I urge you to take your time when making a forever life altering desicion such as surgery.
I wish you Great Luck!
Take care!
Shirlett
I agree Shirlett. I will have to have the left prostheses removed and either repositioned or redone. I have had numerous complication surgeries and hope soon I will gain back some of my quality of life. The biggest problem I have had is doctors telling me the truth of what is going on. I have obtained second and third opinions. Finally, I have found a surgeon who is honest on what is really going on. He feels another surgery is needed to reposition the left prostheses.

The following user gives a hug of support to Georgek04:
judye (06-15-2012)
Closed Thread