It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
(male)

Hondeh HB User
Impacted Wisdom teeth and maybe TMJ?

hi new guy here im 20 years old and im having some problems with what i believe is TMJ, and my wisdom teeth probably aren't helping the situation ether. for a wile now since ive been probably 14-15 my jaw has been popping,locking very rarely, also i cant open very wide sometimes. about a month and a half ago my ear started to feel full and the left side of my face felt like there was tension like i was wearing a rubber band like people say on my face. i went to the dentist and i found out i need all my wisdom teeth pulled (none of them are poked threw the skin). now the worst part of them is in the top left of my mouth my top left wisdom tooth is impacted its growing out toawrd the back of my mouth and isint poked threw the skin and it held my 12 year molar from coming in also. so basically i have a mountain of skin with 2 teeth stuck under it in the top left of my mouth. (it never really hurts on the teeth itself) also the bottom right wisdom tooth isint in ether. now the right side isint to bad it pops time to time but its mainly all my left ever sense ive had this problem ive had the usual TMJ symptoms like plugged ear, feeling jaw pain jaw tightness. but ive also had some pain in the left side of my head that im wondering if TMJ or even having impacted wisdom teeth/molar can cause its basically right in front of my ear (sometimes not all the time) and once in a wile ill get a tiny little pain like a 4 out of a scale of one to ten near the top ish side of my head but right above the front of my ear. its right above were if you were to feel the muscle in the side of your head its right above that and also sometimes it happens on the right side to but more on the left it doesnt even really hurt its more like someone kinda pulled my hair and let go it last for a millisecond to maybe 1 second. but besides that i feel 100% fine thats really the only thing i should be getting my wisdom's out within the month. thanks for reading

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

judye HB Userjudye HB Userjudye HB Userjudye HB Userjudye HB User
Re: Impacted Wisdom teeth and maybe TMJ?

Hi Hondeh,

It's hard to tell if it's TMJ, particularly when you have other issues going on in your mouth. What does sound like a TMJ symptom is the ear fullness. The structures of the temporomandibular joint are enclosed in a capsule, like a Mickey Mouse balloon inside a balloon. When there is something wrong inside this capsule,swelling begins and pressure is placed on the ear structures resulting in the pain that you are experiencing. So this makes me think there is TMJ involvment, but I don't know if impacted molars can cause this or not...

What I would say is that you should most definitely get your wisdom's out by a NM dentist who specializes in TMJ. I've seen so many stories on here about people with TMJ who get their molars out and end up in really serious trouble because it wasn't properly done. I've seen stories about people who seem to get TMJ from molar extraction. This is usually because the person doing it isn't properly trained and doesn't really they are dealing with other complex issues in the jaw.

Also know that some people's TMJ issues go away completely when they get their molar's extracted! They have an amazing NM dentist who understands the complexity of their issues and treats them accordingly.

I would hate your situation to worsen...before going through with your extraction, I'd really recommend seeing the very best NM in your area (travel if need be) and get his/her opinion. Have them do the extraction.

Another issue I'd be aware of is that many people derive issues from either the aggressiveness of the extraction or from the length your mouth is pried open. Many times, if you have very light issues, extraction or root canal seems to be the trigger that causes the full-blown TMJ picture to emerge (this was my situation). A very skilled modern NM dentist should understand this and be able to do the very best job possible on your extraction.

Really hope I'm not freaking you out here...these are very common situations and I don't want to see another person's situation worsened unnecessarily. I want your extraction to solve your problems, not create more!

Wish you the best in your recovery! Let us know how things go

Last edited by judye; 06-10-2012 at 08:11 AM.

Closed Thread