It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2012, 06:18 AM   #1
(female)

LeahFaith HB User
Steroids for TMJ

I had TMJ, chronic head aches and an earache for about 6 years. Last summer I was put on steroids for an unrelated problem and my TMJ went away. Just before the steroids it was so bad I was sleeping with an icepack on my jaw.

I was wondering if anyone else had ever taken steroids for their TMJ. It doesn't seem like it's a common treatment but it's been a year and the TMJ, headache or earaches have yet to return.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Shirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB User
Re: Steroids for TMJ

Hello!

Yes, I have done the 4 week, 2 week & 1 week pack(s) of the roids. I did see a great reduction in my swelling, discomfort and pain. The pain did not go away 100% , but it was reduced. I asked my DX why could I not just live with the roid pack and got a loooooooog lecture over the damage long time/every day use of the roids could and would cause. Sad thing is once you get off of them the TMJ is still there. But for someone is pain with excessive swelling, I think the roid pack is great to get control of the swelling & pain. Hope you find answers!
Take Care!
Shirlett

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
(male)

PatientZero HB UserPatientZero HB UserPatientZero HB User

If you have a lot of inflammation in the joint prednisone can help. But you have to be careful. Too much can actually make TMJ worse because the steroids will eat away at your bone. Like Shirlett, my Doctors (Dr. Warburton and Dr. Piper) are always telling me how bad using steroids is, and to never let anyone inject steroids directly into the TMJ area.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:54 PM   #4
(female)

canne HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahFaith View Post
I had TMJ, chronic head aches and an earache for about 6 years. Last summer I was put on steroids for an unrelated problem and my TMJ went away. Just before the steroids it was so bad I was sleeping with an icepack on my jaw.

I was wondering if anyone else had ever taken steroids for their TMJ. It doesn't seem like it's a common treatment but it's been a year and the TMJ, headache or earaches have yet to return.
Very interesting. Was it a typical week-long oral steroid?

Old 08-11-2014, 02:03 PM   #5
(female)

LeahFaith HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by canne View Post
Very interesting. Was it a typical week-long oral steroid?
It was. I don't remember how much or anything, but that happened over 2 years ago and I've had little problems with Jaw pain since then. It's amazing because I had been in so much pain and every time I mentioned it to my doctor they said "stress" or grinding in my sleep (although the dentist didn't see evidence of that when I asked).

Old 08-11-2014, 02:45 PM   #6
(female)

canne HB User

Quote:
It was. I don't remember how much or anything, but that happened over 2 years ago and I've had little problems with Jaw pain since then. It's amazing because I had been in so much pain and every time I mentioned it to my doctor they said "stress" or grinding in my sleep (although the dentist didn't see evidence of that when I asked).
My dentist does not believe I grind either. I am undergoing splint therapy for my TMJ but still have lingering symptoms... Most notably eye pain / strain and problems focusing. Apparently the muscles in the face get so tight they pull on the eye bones. Anyway, I am just desperate to solve this. I guess a round of steroids is worth a shot!!

Old 08-12-2014, 01:36 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB User

Quote:

Steroids reduce inflammation and inflammation can be a great source of pain - as others have stated you have to be careful -too much steroid can damage the joint (its the same with any joint - I had a steroid injection in my knee and was told by my doctor I can only do this about every 4 months or so at most - I haven't repeated it. The other thing is the TMJ joint is such a tiny and delicate joint, you need a very skilled surgeon/doctor to make sure the needle is going in the right place. I had a steroid injection when I had arthoscopic surgery back in 2011 - by using the arthoscopic technology he could be very precise in the injection. He was much more comfortable doing it with arthoscopy then injecting without. One thing that has been told over and over to me, is the more you mess around with the TMJ joint the greater the risk of complications. Anyways, the steroid injection helped for about a month or so (but I am complicated case). So I wouldn't rule out steroid injections but have a thorough discussion with your doctor about the risks; benefits and understand what you hope to obtain by doing the injection.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:12 AM   #8
(female)

ncfb123 HB Userncfb123 HB User

Quote:

A few months ago my jaw locked for several days where I couldn't get it open. My dentist couldn't do anything for me and my regular doctor didn't have any availability for over two weeks and told me to go to the ER (we are military and military ER's often double as acute care clinics). So, I went to the ER, feeling very stupid sitting in the waiting room next to a kid with a bleeding head injury (good lord!), but what are ya gonna do. Anyway, he prescribed 3 days of prednisone and a week of flexirol. After two days of taking these medications, I was able to get my jaw open. Who knows if it's because of the medication or if it was going to work itself open in that time frame anyway. I will say my reaction to the prednisone was not "normal," as it completely knocked me out (I took the prednisone in the mornings, like instructed, and flexiril at night...within an hour of taking the prednisone I couldn't even keep my eyes open). It also caused my knees to swell painfully. It's not something I would opt to go on long-term.

Reply Reply