It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
(male)

slim689 HB User
Does TMJ affect your ability to take punches?

I am starting to get into mixed martial arts and I would eventually like to fight.
Basically I want to know if this condition makes your jaw more sensitive/prone to breaking? Also could TMJ prevent me from being able to fight at all?

Personally, I don't think my TMJ is "that" bad. I have the occasional clicking on one side, muscle stiffness, and a slight deviation when I open it all the way.

If anyone here does boxing or other combat sports I would love to hear your input.

Thanks.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Does TMJ affect your ability to take punches?

If you already have TMJ, punches to the face can definitely make it worse. Is there a martial arts activity you can participate in without sustaining trauma to an already problematic joint? This TMJ is a bad problem in that it can cause serious pain, headches, malocclusion of the jaw, difficulty eating, etc. Please prevent it from getting worse as there are no truly foolproof treatments for it and you could suffer with worse symptoms forever.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2012, 06:44 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jenga890 HB Userjenga890 HB Userjenga890 HB User
Re: Does TMJ affect your ability to take punches?

Hi there, I disagree that there aren't any foolproof ways to readjust the jaw to correct TMJ disorder. If you find a chiropractor or physical therapist who does craniosacral therapy, an osteopathic physician who does cranial osteopathy, or a certified doctoral level craniosacral therapist, your bound to get your jaw fixed in 3 treatments or fewer. If you can find a craniosacral therapist who is certified but not doctoral level, they should be a good choice as well, but if they are not certified you may be taking your chances, there's such a wide variation in training level between the non-certified practitioners and you don't always know what your getting. Get your jaw fixed now and as you go with the MMA, get your jaw readjusted as you need it. And see how your jaw withstands the test of face punches. There's no definite answer about whether the TMJ will be a reoccurring issue or not, particularly if you see someone to address the issue before you get started fighting in a serious capacity.

Last edited by hb-mod; 06-30-2012 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved website links, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Closed Thread