It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012, 01:47 AM   #1
(female)

MissyJ HB UserMissyJ HB User
Upper cervical care techniques

Hi everyone,

Iíve been going to my chiropractor now for about 4 months but Iím still having lots of trouble with my C2. I get it adjusted (cracking) about once a week or once in two weeks, but every time I go back itís misaligned again. He adjusts my hip as well but it still constantly feels uneven (right side always feels higher), and the slight pain in my right lower back doesn't seem to be going away.

Iím thinking perhaps I need to address my C1 as well but my current chiropractor doesnít seem to do this. So Iím having thoughts about looking for someone who can work on my C1, or someone who specializes in upper cervical care.

Iíve been looking for someone who does AO or NUCCA chiropractic, but the closest one to me is a NUCCA about 4 hours by flight. Needless to say, that is a lot of time, money, travel and accommodation arrangements involved. However, I did come across a couple of chiropractors about 1 hour flight from me who do upper cervical care, but NOT with AO or NUCCA techniques. The techniques that they use as stated in their profiles include:

- Sacral occipital technique (SOT)
- Toggle recoil
- Grostic
- Knee chest HIO

So my questions are:

1.Has anyone had chiropractic adjustments using any of these kinds of techniques?

2.If yes, what was the experience like? (What was the procedure, were there pre and post x-rays, how did you feel after the adjustment, how many sessions did you have to go, did it help / was it successful, etc.)

Thereís some feedback on the board about AO and NUCCA, but not too much on the techniques that I mentioned above, so Iím not confident enough to go ahead yet. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #2
(female)

Re: Upper cervical care techniques

Hi

I wanted to ask a question about the AO adjustment that you had.

Did you just get adjusted one time? Or did you have to go back weekly / monthly / a few times etc. to get more adjustments? If only one adjustment is needed, I may contemplate seeing the NUCCA.

From my research, I understand that both AO and NUCCA have the same objective, which is to correct the C1 atlas. They both also take very precise x-rays to see the position of the atlas. The main difference is that AO is by machine and NUCCA is by hand.

I will be e-mailing the chiropractors mentioned above to get more information, but for the time beings it's always great to hear from those with actual experience.

Thank you so much.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-14-2012 at 03:40 AM.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

judye HB Userjudye HB Userjudye HB Userjudye HB Userjudye HB User

Hi Missy,

The actual atlas adjustment was a one visit treatment for me - he did it manually so it was a NUCCA treatment. However, he took pictures and measurements on a previous visit. It was a very small gentle manipulation...hard to believe it would have so much impact. As you know from previous posts, I had a severe reaction which lasted for weeks following the manipulation. Just in case you decide to go for it, it might be a good idea to take someone with you! If you suffer from central sensitization (I can't remember if you do), I think it's more likely you may have some after effects.

How far are you into your splint therapy now Missy? Has anything improved/gotten worse or have things remained the same? The atlas adjustment is a pretty serious one - do you know if your atlas is twisted? Perhaps you could get the pictures taken at home and only consider flying if you know for a fact that your atlas seriously needs adjustment.

Another thought is waiting until the 4-6 month mark (4-6 months after starting splint therapy) as most people see results by then. If you haven't seen results by then, it might be worth taking the trip to get the adjustment and see if it's the atlas that's holding up your progress.

I'm seeing my NUCCA chiro sometime in the next couple weeks. Would you like me to ask him any questions on your behalf?

Hoping things improve for you soon!

PS: are you being vigilant about your posture? To stay straight after chiropractic adjustments, it's really important to maintain excellent posture between visits. If you don't, it's very likely your body will go back to its old ways! Some postural situations that encourage bad habits to watch out for: being on the computer, watching tv, reading in bed etc... In order to keep me in postural alignment, my chiro got me a knee bolster for sleeping (also a bonus because it stops me from turning over onto my jaw), a proper shaped pillow, bolsters for chairs that I spent a lot of time in (if they weren't already ergonomically correct).

Last edited by Administrator; 11-27-2013 at 02:29 AM.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
(female)

Hi Thank you so much for your reply.

I just counted the days and I'm now about 2.5 months into my orthotic. Gosh it's only been 2.5 months? It certainly feels much longer than that..

The first 1.5 months there were a lot of spasms and things were really going up and down. There were days that I thought wow I think this is working for me. Then there were days I was thinking ok this feels the same as before. Then there were days I was on the floor crying my eyes out. I was really confused.

But I think the last one month, things have kind of settled down. I still have the constant muscle symptoms, but not those crazy muscle spasms or those insane tugging and pulling. Now it's just more of a constant muscle tension kind of feeling in my jaw, head, and neck. I can concentrate better when I'm doing things now though so I guess that's a plus, but overall it's still hard to make any conclusion.

My dentist is concerned about my progress, so in my last visit to his office, he put me back on the K7, and he's going to make me a new orthotic. The new orthotic will reposition my lower jaw a little more to the front and left. I go back in a couple of weeks to receive it. Gosh I hope I won't get those crazy spasms again. I'm a pretty complicated case but my dentist is real patient with me.

I don't know if my C1 atlas is twisted as I haven't found anyone to analyse it. But I do know my C2 is and the adjustments don't hold. I wouldn't be surprised at all if my atlas is in a really bad position, which is why I'm quite determined to get it it analysed. It's now a matter of finding the right person with the right skills and treatment, and putting in other considerations such as traveling and finances. I will be e-mailing a couple of chiropractors to get more information.

Perhaps if you could just ask your doctor casually what are his/her thoughts about the other upper cervical care techniques such as Grostic and Toggle Recoil.

Again, thank you so much for your input. Really really appreciate it.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-14-2012 at 03:42 AM.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:44 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

judye HB Userjudye HB Userjudye HB Userjudye HB Userjudye HB User

I'm glad you have an attentive dentist who is willing to go the extra distance for you! Some of us are tricky to treat and require it! I really hope the new orthotic brings you some relief. Well it's still pretty early days for you and, if it's any consolation, I was really up and down for the first four months and that's pretty standard actually.

I like to try to frame the pain as "healing pain" or "growing pain" so that it seems more like a necessary and helpful evil, getting me where I want to go rather than the demon enemy that's trying to take over my life!

I also found it really helpful to keep a pain journal, tracking my daily pain in both the AM and PM (with a number out of 10), and on each day I have a notes section where I enter any pertinent information like if I had chiropractic or physio treatment, saw the dentist, exercised, started a new med, etc. I also logged my pain killer use as I was taking something quite strong and potentially addictive.

I found this helpful because the memory can play tricks on you and as months go by, they tend to blend into each other. I liked being able to really know how my progress is going as well as tracking what was helping or hindering my progress.

I'll ask my chiro about those techniques next time I see him.

Take care Missy and let us know how your new orthotic works out

Last edited by Administrator; 11-27-2013 at 02:30 AM.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
(female)

Thank you for your suggestions and support. I will update about my new orthotic and upper cervical chiro.
You take care too!

Last edited by Administrator; 07-14-2012 at 03:42 AM.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:48 AM   #7
(female)

eelynshl HB User

Hi there...

I have been looking for an Upper Cervical Chiropractor too, however didn't managed to get one anywhere within Selangor.

I have problem with my c2 as well, and i did felt so much better with the adjustments however they do not last, only twice i felt good. The rest of the time, no difference.
I have tried Gonstead, Activator, n diversified.

But all failed to make me normal again.

May i know which Upper Cervical Chiropractor are u seeing in Malaysia?

Care to share with me? I would like to exchange more info's between us. Hope to receive ur reply asap.

Thanks a lot.. :-)

Last edited by Administrator; 11-27-2013 at 02:30 AM.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:40 AM   #8
(female)

Hey Eelyn,

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with C2 as well. Can you tell us more about your symptoms? I'm not seeing an upper cervical chiropractor yet actually, because I'm still searching for one.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:26 AM   #9
(female)

I haven't written in a while, so I thought it's about time for me to make an update on this thread.

I got my new orthotic on 26 July, so I've been wearing it for about 6 weeks now. It moved my jaw a little more to the front and to the left. The move is really tiny, like only 1 or 2 mm, but it felt quite different from the first orthotic. However I got used to it within a couple of days, and luckily I didn't crazy spasms like my first orthotic.

And then I finally got to an upper cervical chiropractor who uses Knee Chest and Toggle Recoil methods. He looked at my old xrays and said that he did see some problems with the upper cervical, but didn't explain in detail.

So the first day I got an adjustment using Toggle Recoil method. The very next day he found that the adjustment didn't hold, so I got another adjustment, this time with Knee Chest method.

After those first two adjustments, I felt my right hip/lower back quite sore for maybe about 3 or 4 days. Then surprisingly, after the 3 or 4 days, I would say the right hip/lower back pain that I had been having for the past few months is at least 80-90% better. Actually it felt like it was almost completely gone. It's surprising because he only adjusted my atlas, but it had a really positive effect on my right hip/lower back area.

I got another Knee Chest adjustment one week later. I was holding the next day, so I didn't get any adjustment. So I've had three adjustments so far. The last one was one week ago, and as for now, my right hip/lower back is still very good.

He recommended I see him twice a week for at least six weeks first. But unfortunately, I can't meet that requirement because he is almost 5 hours drive one way - really really far, tiring, and expensive. I'm not sure if I can even continue seeing him.

Unfortunately, despite getting a new orthotic and getting my atlas adjusted, I still have a lot of muscle dysfunction around my jaw, head, and neck areas - tension, swelling, pressure, spasms, numbness, tightness etc.

I think perhaps my main problem is actually coming from my upper cervical and I need more treatments. I guess three adjustments is not enough for such a chronic case like me. But it's so difficult to continue seeing him. I may have to look around again for someone closer. I don't know, still a lot of perhaps and maybes. Still a lot of questions and still searching for my answer....

Closed Thread

Tags
atlas orthogonal, grostic, nucca, sot, toggle recoil