It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2012, 06:54 AM   #1
(male)

Ryan103 HB User
Unhappy Please help me figure out my tmj, 5 different doctors and no answer

I've been to multiple doctor visits to try and diagnose my tmj disorder, in a short summary I'll explain my problem and of any can help me figure this out it would be life saving!!

I noticed around 18 my face got a real puffy look to it and my jaw muscles seem to have grown really big ive had people say wow whats happened to you your face used o be so skinny, ver since my face grew this is what i experience ,Every time I go to bite down on food my face muscles swell up and so does my temple areas, the swelling gets so bad to the point I can't open my jaw and the pain is absolutely horrible, I get pain right below my ear around the joint area and dentist always ask me why I can't open my mouth wide. My face now looks dragged out and tierd from a year plus now of swelling that's been going on, I wish I had someone's help, every tmj doctor I been to took X-rays ect and found nothing wrong but yet it seems everything's wrong! if you just have any advice please write to me on here thank you so much !!†

Last edited by hb-mod; 07-15-2012 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Please do not request any off-board contact, or post contact information. Thanks.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Please help me figure out my tmj, 5 different doctors and no answer

Greetings Ryan103!! Welcome to the Temporomandibular joint Disorder health board!
I would at least try sleep so that the face is not into the pillow too much and pressure on the jaw from either side from the weight of the head or from front to back. The main goal is to keep pressure from the joint of the jaw on either side of the head where it hurts. There are also some exercises for it that can be done that some physical therapists can tell a person. I might try a little alternating heat (maybe 3 minutes and cool water but not maybe not intensely so (30 seconds) and repeating 3 times doing this daily for any swelling using what is most comfortable. The timing can be opposite if desired and if it feels better, warming it for a short time and then using cool.

I would try not to bite too hard with food at first, relaxing it. If feeling emotional it might be better not to tense up but to relax. When some people have pain they tense the jaw muscles which of course makes it worse. Relaxation practice might be a good idea also. I hope some comfort is found soon! Peace, sjb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2012, 05:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB User

These suggestions are really helpful. I am dealing with this and the pain is pretty bad. I have facial swelling and the cold compresses really help. I think eating soft foods is a great idea as well. Be kind to yourself and pamper yourself too. I tried acupuncture a few years ago and it was a great thing for me. May be worth looking into. I hope you feel better.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Greetings Some people have tried acupuncture for other things and found it totally useless, I would not bother with it but every person makes his own decisions in life. Peace, sjb

Old 08-02-2012, 07:20 AM   #5
(female)

JameseyCake HB User

Dentists have been the least helpful for me with my jaw problems. I've had the most success with physical/massage therapy and with NeuroCranial Restructuring (NCR).

Was there anything that was going on before the pain and swelling? Tooth extraction, some kind of infection, a physical injury to the mouth or head/skull?

My problems started after having all 4 wisdom teeth removed at the same time. Was there anything like that for you; anything you can pin point?

Reply Reply