It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2012, 07:03 AM   #1
(male)

Chickenlip HB User
Unhappy TMJ - Some advice/experiences to alleviate my anxiety

Hi All,
I am a little new to the board so please forgive me if I repeat or ask anything that has been dealt with in other threads

I have for some time now been having some very strange symptoms, starting late 2010 early 2011 I began experiencing some earache / stuffiness that didn't bother me too much at first as I have a history of Sinusitis / Bronchitis, and every year around winter time this hits me. The difference being I would have earache once a year maybe once every few years if i was lucky. However I went to the Doc's office and got given some Antibiotics and was told it was and infection. My right ear literally was blocked and hearing was almost nil in my right ear for some time after this "infection" cleared.

Not a few months had passed and I had another episode only worse - I honestly thought my Eardrum had ruptured it was so sore - so off to the Doc again and was told I have a nasty infection in my right ear and was given Antibiotics - the difference being this time I had some swelling and pain in the neck area behind the ear and all the way down towards my right shoulder.
Ofcourse this got me scared as I started worrying about Mastoiditis etc etc and although the infection eventually cleared my neck has NEVER been the same since and it has now been roughly 8 Months.

I went to a Maxillo-Facial Surgeon in March this year who says he suspected I have TMJ. He said this may be due to my Impacted Wisdoms that needed removal which he did. He also told me that because I am under so much stress I am "clenching" my jaw unconsciously - for this I had a biteplate made that I wear at night and most of the day. I can't honestly say this has helped me much
The right side of my Neck however constantly feels tight and the SCM muscle feels very stiff at times and stretching doesn't seem to help much. I have pain in right Shoulder blade which my Girfriend tries to massage for me but doesn't seem to give much relief if any. My neck area especially around the throat lately seems to be tight and sore and I often get an almost burning sensation and a "lump in the throat" feeling. I have also lately been more aware of these strange "twitches" in my throat and neck area, I would call them spasms but they are not painful, it just twitches a second or so and goes away and is entirely random.
I hope that someone out there can put my mind at ease and relate some of their similar symptoms to this and what can be done to get some relief from this?
Thank you all

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2012, 11:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User
Re: TMJ - Some advice / experiences to alleviate my anxiety

Hi Chickenlip, I'm sorry for all you are going through. I've been grinding and clenching for years and get ear pain too. I get relief from muscle relaxers and Acupuncture. I also stretch my jaw when it feels really tight or I feel I may be getting a headache. I wear a splint at night and I don't think it helps me stop clenching or grinding, but it protects my teeth from fracturing. I also have neck and shoulder pain and use a Shiatsu massager on my neck which helps a lot. You can pm me if you'd like. Best of luck to you. Sue

The Following User Says Thank You to sunshine123 For This Useful Post:
Chickenlip (08-02-2012)
Old 08-02-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
(female)

JameseyCake HB User

I've had the most help for my TMJ dysfunction with physical and massage therapy and NeuroCranial Restructuring (NCR).

You said you had an infection before. Is it possible that the infection never actually cleared up despite the antibiotics? Kind of like how people will get recurrent UTIs despite taking antibiotics. Bacteria these days are becoming so resistant to our antibiotics. If you think it might still be an infection you can try Allicin (extracted from garlic.) Allimax makes an excellent allicin product called Allimax pro. < edited > Regular garlic pills wont cut it, it has to be stabilized allicin. Colloidal silver also works to kill bacteria. If you think it could still be an infection give one of those a try.

Baring that, a TMJ trained massage therapist who actually massages in your mouth and around your head, face, neck and shoulders can be really helpful. Accupuncture is helpful for some people too. Good luck. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Last edited by hb-mod; 08-06-2012 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved website links, or recommend Internet searches, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to JameseyCake For This Useful Post:
Chickenlip (08-02-2012)
Old 08-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
(male)

Chickenlip HB User

Hi there, thanks for your post - most people i see just read and move on.
I went back to the Maxillo Facial for my checkup I happened to mention to him a strange new set of symptoms such as a burning throat,sore neck, lump in the throat sensation etc, he had a quick look look down my throat and said he suspects it could be Acid refulx of some sort? He wanted to put me on some Nexium for a while or wanted to know if i wanted to be referred to an ENT which i agreed with to be safe, however i still havent been to see the ENT . My medical savings has been depleted and now sit with the added anxiety of worrying and stressing about what these weird symptoms could be and in turn i think im aggravating the situation even more. In the meantime my throat has gotten more and more sore and to be honest it sometimes feels like a very bad spasm in my neck right next to my throat thats causing it, I wonder if you have had a similar experience?

Old 08-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #5
(female)

JameseyCake HB User

Do you have pain in the jaw area, the joint or the surrounding muscles in addition to your neck, throat and shoulder pain?

I keep thinking about this infection they said you had when all of this started. You said the doc removed your wisdom teeth? I have a friend who had her wisdom teeth removed too and had a CT scan done that shows her cavitations (where the teeth had been) are infected and it has infected her jaw bone. This is likely the cause of her jaw/neck/head pain. I don't know if this sounds like something that might have happened to you.

Having my wisdom teeth out 15 years ago is what started all of my TMJ dysfunction and pain. The doc doing the surgery stretched my jaw beyond what it could go and so started my problems. I do get pain in the back of my neck, and my shoulders in addition to the joint pain in my jaw and the muscles of my face. Lots of head aches too. That muscle on the top of the shoulder, it gets tight and swollen. I don't usually have any problems with my throat.

Have you tried eating a soft foods diet to see if you get any relief from the pain? Smoothies, soup, apple sauce, etc.

Its been my experience that the pills that doctors push on me only make things worse, or create another problem all together. If you do believe you are having stomach issues you might try some digestive enzymes before you take a prescription. I take a really good product called MegaZyme.

I know the feeling of stress and anxiety over your pain and issues. Many a night did I lay in bed in so much pain crying over the financial ruin caused by this terrible disorder. I know how rough it is and I feel for you.

My husband bought me a book 2 years back when I was in the height of my pain and dysfunction but at the end of our financial resources. Its called "Taking control of TMJ" by Robert O. Uppgaard. It has got some good information in it, helpful. It even has a section about stress and how to deal with it so that it doesn't aggravate your symptoms. Its not a solution but it might help in the meantime.

I have never had luck with splints/retainers or bite plates. If you don't think it's helping you can always take a break from it for a couple weeks. That might give you a chance to see if it was in fact helping, or if you get some relief you'll know it was aggravating things. Things like that tend to cause your skull and jaw bones to contort or lock up even, making the pain even worse than it was.

I see a doc in Fort Worth, Texas. His name is Jim McCarty. You could even give him a call and describe your symptoms to him. He'd be happy to talk to you and give you his opinion on what might be causing your problem.

I'm sorry you are suffering so much; my heart aches for you. I know this pain so well and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. One last thought, Lyme disease can present as really weird symptoms including some of the things you mentioned. You might do some research online and see if you think you fit the list of possible symptoms.

Good luck to you!

Last edited by hb-mod; 08-06-2012 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved website links, or recommend Internet searches, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Reply Reply