It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #1
(female)

Cess HB User
Is this TMJ pain? I am new to TMJ!

So, about a month ago I had pain on one tooth, at the bottom of the tooth, near the gum line. I made an appt to see my dentist as it was not going away and it was very sensitive to hot food. Two days before I went in, I had pain in other teeth as well. Mostly molars on the top.
My dentist tapped my teeth, it was okay, touched them with a q-tip blasted with cold air, and it hurt BAD. Took some pic which showed flattened areas. He said I had been clenching and grinding. A said a night guard may help, but I am waiting till I can figure out the cost. Insurance makes me pay full cost.
A few weeks later, the pain got much worse and it was on various different teeth, just throbbing pain, which would lessen, but not go away completely. I called him Sunday because the pain was so bad, he prescribed 800mg Motrin and a muscle relaxant. The muscle relaxant finally helped me sleep and the pain med helped, but even when I take it, some teeth will hurt, not all the time, but randomly, even without eating or drinking. I don't usually have pain when I eat unless it is hot.
And swishing room temp water seems to help.
I am wondering can the tooth pain from TMJ come and go? What causes the pain in the tooth?
Thank you!
Megan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
(female)

JameseyCake HB User
Re: Is this TMJ pain? I am new to TMJ!

That's a noodle scratcher... I do get pain in my teeth from my TMJ dysfunction, but more so in the gum area. I notice my teeth being sensitive in the way you described when my gums are receding. Dentist says it's from brushing too hard. Do you have any pain or dysfunction in your jaw? Have you considered that it could be something else causing the pain like Lyme disease for example, which can cause dental pain with no apparent reason? Just a thought. I hope the night guard helps you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply