It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
(female)

clehmann HB User
experience with hypnosis or dry needling for TMJ?

Like many of the people who have posted on this topic, I have had chronic TMJ since my 20s or at least that's when someone noticed my grinding and clenching. I have bought several splints over the years and have concluded their main role is to protect my teeth rather than perform any preventive role. Unfortunately, some dentists promote the "latest and greatest" device which doesn't live up to its claim.

While I self-massage daily to relieve the symptoms that include headaches, jaw aches and neck aches, it doesn't doesn't stop the TMJ which occurs at night. So, I have decided to explore how to deal with that aspect through alternative therapies.

I talked with a psychologist specializing in clinical hypnosis who said some people get good results. However, she also mentioned that she saw a physical therapist who used "dry needling" for her back pain which releases the muscles/joints over several weeks. She suggested I try that for my TMJ. None of this may be covered by my insurance and is expensive.

So before I make the next TMJ investment, I would like to know if anyone else has experience with hypnosis or dry needling or both and what your results were.

Fellow TMJ sufferer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2012, 12:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User
Re: experience with hypnosis or dry needling for TMJ?

I haven't tried dry needling, but I go to Acupuncture every other week and that and muscle relaxers have gotten rid of my pain. I used to go to Acupuncture weekly, but our insurance doesn't cover it. I hope you find some relief soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
hypnotherapy, physical therapy, tmd, tmj