It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
(female)

adrienne4347 HB User
otc or home remedies for jaw pain?

I'm having a flare-up of TMJ issues. It hasn't been this bad for something like 10 years. I've had nighttime bruxing and sensitive teeth from that pretty consistently. But all of a sudden I am having ear popping, vestibular problems, worsened nighttime clenching of my teeth, headaches, jaw sounds, and jaw pain. I know I need to see a doctor and there's a TMJ clinic in my town, but for now I am just about to go out of town on a trip and there's no time to get to the doctor beforehand.

Any favorite home remedies or OTC painkillers or supplements for the jaw pain aspect of this? It's kind of a dull pain with shooting pain up the side of my face, sometimes out of nowhere and sometimes triggered by chewing or jaw movement of some sort.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
(female)

MissyJ HB UserMissyJ HB User
Re: otc or home remedies for jaw pain?

Hi, I used to clench a lot in my sleep, which I believe is what caused my TMJD. These are some of my home remedies:

Good sleep. Avoid anything that may interfere with your sleep, which may include coffee, tea, smoking, too much sugar. I know when my sleep quality is poor or when I'm really tired, I tend to clench in my sleep. I remember my clenching days, when I drank too much tea and I didn't get a good sleep, I'd wake up knowing I had been clenching because of the headache and sensitive teeth.

Be constantly aware of your facial muscles and teeth placement. Now I always check my facial muscles, especially when I'm on the bed about to sleep. Are my eyebrows scrunched up? Are my lips relaxed? What about my cheeks? These may be very subtle and I was surprised to find that my facial muscles are often tensed and I was falling asleep like this. This little technique really helped to relax my facial muscles. Also always check if your teeth are clenched together or apart. Sometimes you just don't notice that you are clenching so you just have to keep checking.

Stretching. I have a lot of postural problems that I believe are caused by my TMJD. So stretching does help me a bit.

A hot shower/bath or heat. I find that a hot shower would help relax the muscles a bit, though it's just temporary. Sometimes I place a warm water bottle on my face/neck and that feels nice. Some people seem to prefer ice though so you can see what works better for you.

Portable TENS unit. I was able to get one of these from the pharmacy and it does help me to loosen up a bit temporarily, especially if you have also neck/shoulder/back pain.

Medication. Sometimes when things flare up I'd take some medication, but the type of medication I take would depend on what's bothering me. If it's a headache then I'd take a painkiller/NSAID. If it's the muscle tension/spasms then I'd take a muscle relaxant (but the muscle relaxants would make me very drowsy).

Avoid certain foods. You may also want to avoid certain foods that are hard/chewy/sticky.

Hope some of these would be helpful for you.

Last edited by MissyJ; 07-26-2012 at 11:00 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to MissyJ For This Useful Post:
adrienne4347 (07-26-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2012, 10:40 PM   #3
(female)

adrienne4347 HB User
Re: otc or home remedies for jaw pain?

Thanks, Missy. That's very helpful. I will try a warm compress tonight. Seems like for what I have going on, muscle relaxers would be lovely, but since I don't have any of those around I will try some ibuprofen and magnesium and hope for the best.

To check for facial tension is a good reminder, it is indeed surprising how tense and scrunched up things can get without me even noticing. I've switched sleeping positions since I realized this was getting worse again--I love sleeping on my stomach but it's a killer for TMJ stuff.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-27-2013 at 02:34 AM.

Closed Thread