It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2012, 02:47 AM   #1
(male)

strato86 HB User
Night guard making pain worse??

Hi, about a fortnight ago I went to the dentist and was told that I am grinding my teeth in my sleep. I thought it was quite odd at first as no other dentist had told me this before( 1st time seeing this particular dentist, he was foreign). He asked if I had pain in my jaw in the morning and I said 'no'. I do have anxiety and have been told that anxiety can cause people to grind their teeth and though they are unaware of doing so. So have gave me a custom nightguard. At first it hurt quite a bit but I'd expected it to really as I thought my jaw would take a while to get used to it. But each time I wake up now the pain gets worse. Is this normal? Should I even be wearing one at all?
I am going to try not wearing it tonight and see how it goes anyway.
Thanks
Drew

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
(female)

JameseyCake HB User
Re: Night guard making pain worse??

I've always understood pain to be your body's way of telling you that something is not right. You were not in any pain before using this night guard but now you are. Maybe your body is telling you something. I understand the dentist said you have been grinding your teeth in your sleep but if there wasn't any pain before it sounds like this is creating some.

I've always felt worse using a splint, retainer or night guard. It always felt to me like they were pulling my jaw and teeth into an unnatural position. I used to wake up in so much pain! Maybe you should give yourself a couple weeks worth of sleeping without it at night and see how you feel? Worth a shot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply