It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
(male)

xerox007 HB User
Pain after wisdom teeth out

I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth out on 7/25. on 7/26 I started having pain in my right jaw. My bite was also not the same as it had been. I went back to the dentist today 7/31 and he told me there was stuff preventing the bottom right to heal. He gave me Chlorhex Glu and a syringe and told me to rinse out the area 5 times a day. I currently can not chew and the pain is effecting my sleep. It is painful to open my mouth too far and close my mouth all the way. Is this Chlorhex Glu going to clear up the jaw pain?

Old 07-31-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Pain after wisdom teeth out

Some people experience jaw pain similar to TMJ after molar removal because they have to crank your jaw open so wide to get to the teeth. This should slowly resolve and I would not force your mouth open. Try to eat soft foods or suck thick liquids like smoothies thru a straw. I would let your Dentist know if it continues past 2 weeks. Ice on the jaw and anti-inflammatories may help. Muscle spasms in the jaw can occur too, and a muscle relaxant Rx from your dentist.

Last edited by ladybud; 07-31-2012 at 08:22 PM. Reason: added last word.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #3
(female)

JameseyCake HB User
Re: Pain after wisdom teeth out

All of my TMJ problems began after having all four of my wisdom teeth removed. During the surgery the oral surgeon frequently opens ope the mouth beyond what it can go and in the process dislodges one or both of the meniscus in the jaw joint. My oral surgeon didn't believe me when I told him that it did not feel the same and I was in pain. He pushed me off onto my dentist and orthodontist. They made me a splint but it didn't help heal my jaw. It festered and got worse for 13 years until my jaw finally just gave out, completely stopped working. Don't let it get to that point. The pain is tremendous and the dysfunction is unbearable.

An MRI can tell you if your joints have been injured in the surgery. If your insurance covers it you should really get one. If you don't get the problem solved now while its still early your jaw will never be the same. You won't be able to eat what you used to but the pain is what will really bring you down.

There are some less invasive procedures that can be done, injections to lubricate the joint and try to get the disc back into place. These are only successful early on, though so don't wait. If your oral surgeon/dentist will not take you seriously, find one that will. Don't do anything you don't feel comfortable with. I wish I had found a doctor who believed me and did more than just treat me with muscle relaxers. Pills will not solve this problem.

I'm currently treating my jaw problem with a doctor who does NeuroCranial Restructuring (google it.) But hopefully since it is still early for you there won't be any need for much else than an injection into the jaw or some minor physical therapy. Good luck!

Reply Reply

Tags
jaw pain, tmj, tmjd, wisdom teeth