It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2012, 06:17 AM   #1
(female)

slsb HB User
TMJ & hearing loss

Several days ago I experienced dramatic hearing loss in my right ear accompanied by a full, stopped-up feeling and ringing. It's much like what is experienced when you hold your nose and mouth shut and force pressure in your ears. I thought it was a fluid problem and took Sudafed for 3 days with no relief. Since sinus drainage began to be a problem I thought it might be an sinus/ear infection and started an antibiotic last night along with Mucinex D. Too soon to tell if that will help but I don't hold much hope. I've had problems with TMJ for years and have just found out that hearing problems can be related. I would sure appreciate any suggestions.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: TMJ & hearing loss

If your hearing loss is so recent, I'd seek out an ENT as soon as possible. There are many things out there that could cause your symptoms that can be treated fairly easily. You really should have this evaluated by a physician before jumping to the TMJD worries.

That said, I'm one of those people on this board who had ear problems. My ear got "stuffy" and didn't pop for over a year. When I went to the ENT and Audiologists, I discovered I'd lost quite a bit of hearing. Not long after that, severe ear pain set in as well.

I finally figured out it was TMJD. My tmj discs had slipped forward resulting in my lower jaw being pushed back a few mm into my ear. Splint therapy combined with physical therapy with trigger point treatments really has helped.

Unfortunately, my hearing hasn't returned. I go back in the next month to have it tested so I can see exactly how it is doing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2012, 04:37 AM   #3
(female)

slsb HB User

Thanks for your reply. At this point the antibiotics and Mucinex D aren't making a difference. Two more days and I finish that. I'll have to follow up in some way. Unfortunately I just retired and will not get Medicare for 2 years. I'm glad there's no pain in the ear. Pain in the pocket might be terminal. Guess I should call my dentist or family doctor and see if there's someone that can be recommended around here? I tried a heating pad last night but if there could be some sort of swelling there perhaps an ice pack would work best. I'm grasping at straws and I'm sure that's an exercise in futility. Wonder if a chiropractor could help if something is out of alignment? Anyway, I really appreciate your response. I sure hope you get your problem straightened out.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

If it is TMJD, you are probably experiencing some severe muscle spasms and may not be realizing it. I know that was the case for me. Some Chiropractors, PT's and massage therapists trained to work with the face and neck area can help get those muscles more relaxed.

There is a great book that came out a year or so ago and has tons of suggestions onthings you can do on your own. I found it very useful in understanding TMJ and treatment options you can do on your own. The TMJ Healing Plan by Cynthia Peterson. It might be worth a try. It is pretty inexpensive.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:51 AM   #5
(female)

slsb HB User

I'll run to Barnes and Nobel today and see if they have that book. Thanks so much!

Reply Reply