It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
(male)

Tigersuit HB User
Do I have TMJ disorder?

for years i've been having issues with a feeling of pressure in between the left and right of my jaw joint, as well as tinnitus. the past year or so i've been experiencing infrequent migraines that appear to be related to said head pressure. in the past i have also had periods of time where it felt like i was starting to lose hearing in my left ear.

on August 18th of this year i received 3lbs of very tough beef jerky in the mail. about halfway through eating it i noticed that the tinnitus was getting worse, and i started hearing clicking and popping noises in my ears while i talked. sometimes after i finished talking i would hear a "woosh" noise as if air were escaping from inside my left ear.

it's been about 2 weeks since i finished all of the beef jerky now, and my left ear (the side i chew on predominantly) is totally messed up. ringing extremely loudly all the time, loud wooshing, clicking, and buzzing noises during speech, and a sensation of dulled hearing. this is incredibly irritating, and i feel very off balance. my anxiety seems to be much worse now too.

i've done some research on TMJ and it really seems like this could be my problem, except that i don't exactly feel pain in my jaw. just tension and pressure. i have a doctors' appointment coming up, but i thought i'd ask a place like this for a second opinion of sorts. i'll be happy to answer any questions. thanks. =D

also: how can i remove my location from being displayed in my posts? i can't find anywhere to edit it.

Last edited by Tigersuit; 09-10-2012 at 06:23 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Do I have TMJ disorder?

Your symptoms sound like they could very well be attributed to TMJD. Have you sought out any treatment for your issues yet? I didn't have any jaw pain when I was diagnosed. My initial symptoms were all ear related. I didn't realize how much my muscles had gotten used to being in spasm in my face and neck until they were out of spasm. Being tight was my normal. It wasn't pain though.

I found relief with a dentist trained in treating TMJ. Usually those doctors with extra training in TMJD treatment are neuromuscular dentists for functional orthodontists.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-14-2012 at 08:55 PM.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:39 AM   #3
(male)

Tigersuit HB User

i am seeing a physician the day after tomorrow, but nothing beyond that. i don't really have medical insurance or money. i'm worried i won't be able to get effective treatment.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-14-2012 at 08:56 PM.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
(male)

Tigersuit HB User

i went to outpatients today and i guess it's just an ear infection with some inflammation of the TMJ. i was so worried it would be something worse lol.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #5
(male)

Tigersuit HB User

just one question: is it at all possible the doctor could have made a mistake?

he looked into my ear with one of those ear-looker things, and said "Yep, it's an infection." as if he saw something that indicated an infection. could tmjd mimic that, i wonder?

i think i worry too much.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:03 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I'd certainly see how you are doing once you get your ear inflammation cleared up. I'd still watch for possible tmj issues since you've had problems for so long.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-14-2012 at 08:57 PM.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #7
(male)

Tigersuit HB User

doctor also said i have inflammation on my TMJ. he gave me anti-inflammatory drugs but they don't really seem to be doing anything. the anti-biotics aren't helping much yet either.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:28 AM   #8
(male)

Tigersuit HB User

so i went to the walk in clinic last night because my symptoms were not improving. the doctor told me i had TMJ syndrome, and he gave me a new script of anti-inflammatory meds. he said it should be gone within 2 weeks, so i'm hoping he's right and it's just the acute form of the disorder, not the chronic one. just a quick update. hopefully someone can share an opinion. =)

Reply Reply