It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2012, 12:05 AM   #1
(male)

faceplant HB User
TMD started after traumatic injury had surgery in 2002 having major issues again now

I have an occlussional guard (night guard) which I have trouble wearing due to allergies and crappy sleep in general (PTSD). A week ago got sick and was throwing up when my jaw popped and locked on me. I had a R modified condylotomy done in 2002 18 months after landing on my face during a tarmac jump on a fogged over Dz to the point I couldn't see my feet below me (had a semi inversion on parachute and foot trapped in risers thanks to what was a seemingly drunk ANG pilot... they scratched and went red light as soon as I exited the bird, was unconscious for over a half hour). Anyways it has been a week and symptoms getting worse and the left TMJ is now hurting both sides swollen and the havoc its causing my hearing and triggering vertigo almost nonstop. VA ER doc said 'contonue wearing occlussional guard but it is seemingly making it worse. I mean now I can barely eat jello without pain let alone open my mouth enough to take a single pill.

Anyone with a TMJ dysfunction due to trauma have issues with getting proper treatment? I can't afford the weight loss I will lose muscle mass too dang fast and am already on the light side for a 5'10" male 13at 135#.

Should I go through dentist or ENT as this is one of those overlapping things...? I can't sleep with this crap going on.... and dealing with idiot VA docs is def not helping.... guess it may be time to get a Medicare plan....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: TMD started after traumatic injury had surgery in 2002 having major issues again

It could be cervical - you had trauma to the face and even though that happend many yrs ago, your neck took a sustained forceful hit, on top of that you were in a parachute and although I have no experience with those I would imagine there is a lot of jerking when the chute opens and then upon landing so its possible your c-spine may have been slightly off center and then the additional activity pushed it even more so. Any chance you can see a ICAK, NUCCA chiro or orthogonal chiro or any chiro that treats the c-spine? When my atlas (c1) rotated, I vomitted everytime I ate, was nauseous and dizzy and had enormous cranial facial and jaw pain.

Reply Reply