It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
(female)

cold247 HB User
back of head pain!!

I have a suspected case of TMJ, and of the myriad of symptoms I've had over the last year or so, the one that is now becoming increasingly frequent and problematic is headaches at the back of the head. They are now occuring everyday pretty much ALL day and they are incredibly debilitating. I just refuse to take anymore NSAIDS for this as I'd be on them everyday, and that's just plain no good.

My question is if anyone who has undergone repositioning splint therapy has had such pain relieved? I'm just not sure as this symptom is one of the relatively new ones for me, if it is even TMJ related??!!

Thanks, in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: back of head pain!!

I had significant relief with my lower mandibular repositioning splint. I also added in some PT with trigger point releases to help with the muscle spasms.

Sometimes it is difficult to figure out the cause of symptoms when they could be indicative of multiple things. I assume you've ruled out other causes if you are looking towards it being tmjd. If you find a good dentist with lots of tmj training, they should be able to determine through testing if you really have tmj issues.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
(female)

cold247 HB User
Re: back of head pain!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainReader View Post
I had significant relief with my lower mandibular repositioning splint. I also added in some PT with trigger point releases to help with the muscle spasms.

Sometimes it is difficult to figure out the cause of symptoms when they could be indicative of multiple things. I assume you've ruled out other causes if you are looking towards it being tmjd. If you find a good dentist with lots of tmj training, they should be able to determine through testing if you really have tmj issues.
MountainReader thank you for your reply! I recall from other posts that you had significant ear issues. But did you also have this back of head pain? It seems, for me, to be more on the one-side...the same side that my jaw clicks.

And did you find that your symptoms seemed to get progressively worse over time before you started your splint therapy? It just seems that all my symptoms are getting worse and/or more frequent. It really frightens me. The dentist I am seeing (I'm having my second set of testing and bite registration this week) suggested that depending on what he finds, I may need two splints. A lower repositioning one that's 24/7, and then a night one that would prevent my jaw from moving backwards at night. Did you have any dizziness or lighteneadedness at all? I find it too good to be true that a splint can help me with all this.

I did have a lot of PT with trigger point releases (including IMS/dry needling) on my neck and back. I also had intraoral release (no needling, just with gloved hand) by a chiropractor. And I had NUCCA adjustments. Absolutely none of it helped, not even temporarily. I was really deflated after doing all that, spending all that money, and having no relief at all. Hoping to have different results with a splint and maybe my jaw is my primary issue??

Reply Reply