It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 10:19 PM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

CherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB User
Re: TMJ & 'Derealization'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko1 View Post
Cheryl has your son ever described exactly what he feels when he is going through a derealization episode?
Sure, when he was a young kid (13 or so) he described it as an "away" feeling. Like he wasn't quite in his present surroundings or in a deep fog. I never quite understood what he meant back then, but after some research, found that what he was experiencing was "derealization."

Many, many things can cause this particular symptom, as I stated at an earlier date. I think the key is figuring out which is responsible for it, by eliminating (if possible) other reasons/conditions.

Regarding my son, after eliminating all sorts of possibilities, I was left with the fact that his was likely coming from his C-Spine, especially given the fact that after his neck cracked on several occasions while playing sports his had completely disappeared.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:07 AM   #17
(male)

jacko1 HB User

Thanks for that Cheryl, it sounds a lot like what I feel. I did some research on cervical adjustments as ThelmaLouise mentioned and was told by a local chiro that he has dealt with distorted perceptions successfully before so I will definitely be looking into that. As you say, many things can cause it, and each one needs to be discounted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #18
(female)

mra482 HB User

Hi, I am very relieved I found this. I too have been having the derealization issue for the past five months. It comes and goes. I recently had an X-ray done in which I was told my c-spine curve was lacking. However in addition I have a lot of symptoms of tmj as well. I do not know what came first the c-spine issue or the tmj, but all I know is I am miserable with awful anxiety due to the derealization. I am a nurse so I have to be on my A game all the time and when I get these derealization attacks I am out of it. I have had a little releif from chiropractic adjustments, and I am currently in the process of getting a splint for my jaw. I take muscle relaxers at night which don't seem to make a huge difference. I have been referred to go to physical therapy which I suppose I will try but I doubt it helps much.

Have any of you made any progress with this? Is there anything that can be done to help the curve reform in the c-spine area? Do you think a splint will help this derealization symptom?

I'm at a loss of what to do.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #19
(male)

lancewan HB Userlancewan HB Userlancewan HB User

All

I read up on this thread to understand the symptoms better and to get an idea of derealization as I have not heard it before. At the moment I am trying to learn as much as possible about TMJ and causes to understand it personally and if I can find any tips that will work for me. My TMJ is mild compared to what you all have posted and you have my sympathy.

A couple of questions re C-spine issues. Do any of you have any issues with lower back as well? From having treatment for eczema with Chinese practitioners and doing a shiatsu course they all say that if people have issues with their neck majority of the time they will have lower back problems.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? I have one reservation with chiro treatment and that is manipulation of the spine does bring temporary relief but the muscles aren't "retrained" and they will still be tense or cause misalignment once the treatments stops.

I have had some back injury from gym training and also incurred a serious problem when I jump off a cliff into a lagoon when I was 18, It felt like someone compressed by back muscles into a ball because I landed incorrectly.

This healed on itself but caused me major discomfort for many years and led me to self treatment using stretching/yoga for flexibility, gym training to strengthen my body and reflexology to help improve alignment and to help with eczema.

Reply Reply