It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #1
(female)

CarrieMS HB User
TMJ Arthoplasty surgery

Hu, my nameis carrie and im 17. I has my arthoplasty surgery on my left jaw 4 days ago. And Im still not feeling myself getting better at all. I was released from the hospital last night. Im expericing blurry vision, sweling in the face and around my ear, and im finding it every hard to talk, smile, walk, and even laying down. When i put my head down i can feel a lot of pressure. Im on 4 medicines right now. But nothing seems to be working. Its been making me very emotional, but that could also be do to the fact that some of my hair was shaved off and i feel very weak and fragile. im currently out of school for 2 weeks. Im a very independent person and i hate asking for help since im not allowed to bend over or carry things or even walk by myself. Im also on a liquid diet. And im feeling as of i havent eaten in a month. It hurts to eator even swallow fluids through a straw. Can someoneplease giveme advice on how to recover in the best way? Anyone who has had experience with this surgery?

The following 4 users give hugs of support to: CarrieMS
jbuilder2 (10-04-2012), MissyJ (10-07-2012), MountainReader (10-04-2012), MusicTeacher01 (10-29-2012)
Old 10-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
(female)

Susie564 HB User
Re: TMJ Arthoplasty surgery

Hi,

I had a similar type of surgery at the end of June. Four days is really soon to be feeling better. I was at least a week before I started getting over the surgery itself and three weeks before I was aproaching something near normal. Follow the instructions of your surgeon, take the drugs your supposed to and rest. Stress is not going to help you heal any quicker - so relax :-)

Your joint is going to need time to heal and I don't think four days is quite long enough. Indeed I still have a small amount of swelling & inflammation three months later, although I am in general much, much improved overall.

When you lie down put some pillows under your head so that you're sitting up a little - I had the same sensation the first while after surgery. Take it easy on talking/smiling/walking/eating for a few days yet - you've obviously been through a lot and you don't want to risk your recovery by doing too much too soon. Your bound to be feeling low/vunerable right now - I was the same after my surgery and I know your anxious to feel better quickly - I was exactly the same.

I was only eating yogurts for a couple of days after and even that was painfull. You'll get there tho - don't put so much pressure on yourself. I very much hope you are feeling better soon.

Last edited by Susie564; 10-04-2012 at 11:22 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMS View Post
Hu, my nameis carrie and im 17. I has my arthoplasty surgery on my left jaw 4 days ago. And Im still not feeling myself getting better at all. I was released from the hospital last night. Im expericing blurry vision, sweling in the face and around my ear, and im finding it every hard to talk, smile, walk, and even laying down. When i put my head down i can feel a lot of pressure. Im on 4 medicines right now. But nothing seems to be working. Its been making me very emotional, but that could also be do to the fact that some of my hair was shaved off and i feel very weak and fragile. im currently out of school for 2 weeks. Im a very independent person and i hate asking for help since im not allowed to bend over or carry things or even walk by myself. Im also on a liquid diet. And im feeling as of i havent eaten in a month. It hurts to eator even swallow fluids through a straw. Can someoneplease giveme advice on how to recover in the best way? Anyone who has had experience with this surgery?
Hi Carrie,

You are a very brave young woman to have gone through TMJ arthroplasty.
Sorry to hear you are still in so much pain. You need to contact your doctor & tell him about this & also that the 4 medications that you are taking, do not help your pain.

You also need to ask your doctor (surgeon) if you are allowed to use an ice pack on the swollen parts of your face. If you dont have an ice pack you can take ice from the fridge, wrap it in a thin towel & place it on the swelling.
Try laying your head on 2 pillows so as to raise your head. This way you will have less pressure on your head.

I have no experience with the surgery you had & I hope that you will get some replies here from people who have been through the surgery.
I wish you a speedy recovery.
Haydena.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
(female)

CarrieMS HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydena View Post
Hi Carrie,

You are a very brave young woman to have gone through TMJ arthroplasty.
Sorry to hear you are still in so much pain. You need to contact your doctor & tell him about this & also that the 4 medications that you are taking, do not help your pain.

You also need to ask your doctor (surgeon) if you are allowed to use an ice pack on the swollen parts of your face. If you dont have an ice pack you can take ice from the fridge, wrap it in a thin towel & place it on the swelling.
Try laying your head on 2 pillows so as to raise your head. This way you will have less pressure on your head.

I have no experience with the surgery you had & I hope that you will get some replies here from people who have been through the surgery.
I wish you a speedy recovery.
Haydena.
Thank you(: I contacted. My surgeon, he took me off of one medicine because it made my vision blurry. Ive been icing it every 20minutes. Im currently out of school for two weeks, and its my senior year so its very depressing being home. My personality isnt the same right now either

Old 10-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMS View Post
Thank you(: I contacted. My surgeon, he took me off of one medicine because it made my vision blurry. Ive been icing it every 20minutes. Im currently out of school for two weeks, and its my senior year so its very depressing being home. My personality isnt the same right now either
Carrie, I think you really need to be kind to yourself & patient & give yourself more time to recover. Four days is not enough time.

Try searching the internet about the recovery period of your operation.

There is a non-chemical cream called ''Traumeel'' made by ''Heel'' of Germany, which is a homeopathic remedy cream used for swelling & bruising. It can be bought in drug stores in your country. I swear by this cream. If you can get someone to buy it for you, rub it on at least 3 -4 times a day. It will help you also with the pain.

You have to be home now, the sooner you accept it, the better. I understand that you are in your senior year, but try hard to be patient & deal with your situation instead of fighting against it.

Hang in there girl, it will be better soon.

Haydena.

Reply Reply

Tags
tmj disc, tmj disorder, tmj jaw exercises, tmj surgery