HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/tmj-disorder-temporomandibular-joint/)
-   -   TMJ Syndrome Questions (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/tmj-disorder-temporomandibular-joint/921541-tmj-syndrome-questions.html)

Schultzy 10-04-2012 09:56 AM

TMJ Syndrome Questions

I was diagnosed with TMJ Syndrome back in February 2012. I have a couple of questions that I hope someone could answer for me. First off will TMJ Syndrome go away? Like I stated up there I was diagnosed back in February and it seems that none of my symptoms have gone away; dizziness, pain in ear, stiff muscle in cheek. Second could playing football caused this? Back in High School I played football all fours years and never had any symptoms until my senior year. During practice I got popped in the jaw causing my ear to swell and I started to hear a crunching noise in there. And lastly this really isn't a question more of a closure than anything, Right now I'm going to college but its very irritating to get dizzy in the middle of homework/test. Test scores are continuously dropping because of it. Has anyone else gone through this? I tried getting the school to help me but they did not recognize TMJ Syndrome as a severe enough of a problem.

CarrieMS 10-04-2012 10:24 AM

Re: TMJ Syndrome Questions

Hi, I understand how you feel. TMJ umforunatly doesnt go away, but the symptoms do. Have you taken any injections? I went to an oral surgeon and they will give you an injection. If they dont work then they will probably put you through a arthroplasty surgery. Just had mine on monday. It all depends on the MRI results they shouldve done to you. For me my disc was out of place. Best thing to do to decrease the pain is to take motrin. Also for ear pain, the motrin should help, if not put a warm cloth over your ears. Dizziness is only from your ear being in pain, its causeing your equilibrium to be off balance. Try your best to not eat any steak, pork and anything like that. Before i had my surgery i only ate chicken. Look up "Tmj Arthroplasty surgery" . And contact your oral surgeon asap. The pain does get worse if it isnt treated in the right way.

Schultzy 10-04-2012 04:31 PM

[QUOTE=CarrieMS;5067003]Hi, I understand how you feel. TMJ umforunatly doesnt go away, but the symptoms do. Have you taken any injections? I went to an oral surgeon and they will give you an injection. If they dont work then they will probably put you through a arthroplasty surgery. Just had mine on monday. It all depends on the MRI results they shouldve done to you. For me my disc was out of place. Best thing to do to decrease the pain is to take motrin. Also for ear pain, the motrin should help, if not put a warm cloth over your ears. Dizziness is only from your ear being in pain, its causeing your equilibrium to be off balance. Try your best to not eat any steak, pork and anything like that. Before i had my surgery i only ate chicken. Look up "Tmj Arthroplasty surgery" . And contact your oral surgeon asap. The pain does get worse if it isnt treated in the right way.[/QUOTE]

Hello, I haven't taken any injections. When I went to the doctor all she gave me was anti-vertigo pills and told me to go to my dentist for the problem. A couple days after that I went to my dentist who told me that it had nothing to do with my teeth and that I should go back to the doctor. Feeling like I was going to get in the middle of a doctor war I decided to not go back. So I'm toughing it out :(.

CarrieMS 10-04-2012 04:53 PM

Deffintly go see an oral surgeo, they will do whatever they can to find a way to help you

Schultzy 05-13-2013 11:01 AM

Sorry for bringing this old topic back but I had another question about TMJ Syndrome. Here recently I began to see a new symptom that pops up when my jaw hurts or I get dizzy. It may sound silly but I get moody. So far only two moods happen. One is where I become sad and prefer to be by myself and two being I get mad at people for no reason. Does anyone else have this problem with TMJ Syndrome? The symptom happens very rarely, like once every couple months, but I thought it was worth asking.