It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
(female)

cold247 HB User
right-side symptoms BUT left-side pathology??

So I went for my bite registration, EMG, and xrays today. When the assistant showed me my xrays she told me something quite peculiar: that my left condyle is bunched up into my ear canal. What's weird about it is that all my symptoms, including ear fullness, jaw clicking, headaches, eye pain and cheek tenderness are ALL ON THE RIGHT SIDE!

I left feeling very confused and I'm wondering how that can even be possible. I have no symptoms (or very little) on the left side. Really it seems only that my headaches and facial pressure will spill over to that side, but everything is more intense and starts on the right side. Could she have got the xrays mixed up or something? I kept saying that it sounded very weird. Haven't spoken to the dentist about it but will at the next appointment.

Does this sound possible or does it sound like a flat-out mistake?

Old 10-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: right-side symptoms BUT left-side pathology??

My testing showed some issues with both condyles, but my left side is way worse than my right. My symptoms were all on my right side though. I have significant ear pain, stuffiness and spasming on the right. I also have more muscle related neck spasms as well on that side.

My results were a big surprise on my left side. The TMJD treatment I've received supports both sides equally though so treatment isn't a problem.

I will share that while I've had some ups and down, my ear issues are amazingly better than they were initially.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2012, 03:52 AM   #3
(female)

cold247 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainReader View Post
My testing showed some issues with both condyles, but my left side is way worse than my right. My symptoms were all on my right side though. I have significant ear pain, stuffiness and spasming on the right. I also have more muscle related neck spasms as well on that side.

My results were a big surprise on my left side. The TMJD treatment I've received supports both sides equally though so treatment isn't a problem.

I will share that while I've had some ups and down, my ear issues are amazingly better than they were initially.
Wow, so it IS possible then since your results sound quite similar. I too have significant neck spasm issues on the right side (apparently my SCM is screaming mad) which is opposite to where my condyle is most off, according to what the assistant told me.

MountainReader, may I ask what challenges you are still having at this point? You mentioned that your ear symptoms are much better but that you're still having some ups and downs. Thanks so much for sharing your story with me

Old 10-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

My story is told throughout the posts on this board.

Wearing my lower mandibular repositioning splint, I got to the point that I frequently forgot about my TMJD at times.

Most of my ups and downs have been throughout the treatment process as I have changes that happen. My muscles will spasm as they learn to adjust. For example, when I went from Phase I to Phase II I had some weeks of adjustment. Basically, I had to give up my splints for braces at two seperate times and the change in positioning will trigger some symptoms. I know it is all part of the process though and my orthodontist has been very supportive to get me though those times. He will do some trigger point work or ultrasound or make adjustments. When things get really bad, my ENT will give me a short script for muscle relaxers to help me get some sleep at night since the spasms give me intense ear pain that keeps me up during those flares.

Mostly the "downs" anymore are much much less severe than those I had originally.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:30 AM   #5
(female)

cold247 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainReader View Post
My story is told throughout the posts on this board.

Wearing my lower mandibular repositioning splint, I got to the point that I frequently forgot about my TMJD at times.

Most of my ups and downs have been throughout the treatment process as I have changes that happen. My muscles will spasm as they learn to adjust. For example, when I went from Phase I to Phase II I had some weeks of adjustment. Basically, I had to give up my splints for braces at two seperate times and the change in positioning will trigger some symptoms. I know it is all part of the process though and my orthodontist has been very supportive to get me though those times. He will do some trigger point work or ultrasound or make adjustments. When things get really bad, my ENT will give me a short script for muscle relaxers to help me get some sleep at night since the spasms give me intense ear pain that keeps me up during those flares.

Mostly the "downs" anymore are much much less severe than those I had originally.
MountainReader - You have always been so generous in sharing the details of your journey with everyone on this board, as I have read. I hope to be able to do the same thing for others because I realize that the success stories - and the ups and downs that seem to inevitably go with it - are so important for those who are dealing with this disorder.

The following user gives a hug of support to cold247:
MissyJ (10-07-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to cold247 For This Useful Post:
MountainReader (10-06-2012)
Reply Reply