It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
(female)

AKChica HB User
Arthroplasty and fat grafts

Hello - I've been suffering with TMJ pain for 20 years and recently found out that both of my disks are displaced and I have arthritis in my jaw. The surgeon I met with suggests that I have the disks removed and replaced with a fat graft. Does anyone have any experience with this? I can't seem to find much information on the web and want to know how long this procedure holds up for.

Thank you.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
(male)

jbuilder2 HB User
Re: Arthroplasty and fat grafts

What surgeon is that? Piper?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
(female)

AKChica HB User

Dr. James Bertz

Old 03-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
(female)

nja753 HB User

AK....How are you doing? Dr. Bertz is doing my jaw surgery on Friday, 3/8. He is a wonderful doctor, one of the best.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:53 PM   #5
(female)

AKChica HB User

Hi there! Its slow going, but getting better. I agree, Dr. Bertz is a wonderful surgeon. You're in very good hands. What is he doing to your jaw?
Good luck and hope you recover well!

Old 03-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #6
(female)

nja753 HB User

He's doing the arthroplasty and fat graft in my left jaw.

When was your surgery? Can you tell me a bit what recovery has been like? Especially the week or 2 following the surgery.

Thanks!

Old 03-04-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
(female)

AKChica HB User

The side of your face will be hilariously swollen for a couple of days. Youre encouraged to eat normally but you can't open your mouth very wide for awhile. I had my surgery at Thanksgiving time and still can't eat a burger. Be careful yawning, it can hurt. I had some pain about two months afterwards and Dr B had to inject steroids into both sides. The good thing is he's very committed to making sure you have a good recovery. I recommend not eating anything hard or chewy for about two months. I had it done on both sides so my recovery may be longer than yours will be. I took two weeks off if work and was good to go back after that.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #8
(female)

nja753 HB User

Thank you! Hopefully, mine will be easier since I am only having 1 side done. I haven't been able to yawn for a year. He told me if it hurts don't eat it! I imagine it's going to be a miserable few weeks. I'll be in the hospital Friday night, but will update you as soon as I can. I'd like to keep in touch and hear how you are doing as time goes on.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Trish0102 HB User

Glad to hear that you are doing great with fat graft. A friend of mine had a successful operation also a few weeks back.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:53 AM   #10
(female)

AKChica HB User

That's good advice he gave you. You really won't be miserable though that long. I was only for a couple of days. The pain I ended up with was due to scar tissue but it felt no worse than the pain i was use to. The hospital people are really nice there also. The best thing is you'll drop a couple of pounds :-). Good luck and yes I'd like to know how it goes and your recovery. Keep up with the exercise he'll give you, it helps.

Thank you Trish. Im glad your friends went well.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:22 AM   #11
(female)

nja753 HB User

Got home yesterday with a false sense of doing better than unexpected. Doc said it was pretty bad inside. Did ok, till 3:15am and woke in horrible, horrible pain. Had a miserable night. I think all the good drugs from the hospital wore off. Can't get comfortable. Woke at 3:15 am thinking it wasn't time for meds. But it had been 5 hours. Way too long.

Took some them and again at 7:15. Can't get it of bed because I start shivering and that tenses up my jaw and I can't get comfortable.

This is horrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKChica View Post
That's good advice he gave you. You really won't be miserable though that long. I was only for a couple of days. The pain I ended up with was due to scar tissue but it felt no worse than the pain i was use to. The hospital people are really nice there also. The best thing is you'll drop a couple of pounds :-). Good luck and yes I'd like to know how it goes and your recovery. Keep up with the exercise he'll give you, it helps.

Thank you Trish. Im glad your friends went well.

Last edited by nja753; 03-10-2013 at 10:31 AM.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #12
(female)

AKChica HB User

I've been wondering how you were doing. I wasn't able to log on until now. Sorry to hear you're in so much pain. I quit taking the pain meds after three days since they weren't helping. Are you feeling better today?

Old 03-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #13
(female)

nja753 HB User

A bit better today. I was taking 2 pills every 3 hours instead of 1 pill every 4 hours. That helped. Today, I've been able to take 2 every 4 hours. I think I'll live after all. But boy is my jaw sore and so is my stomach. I can't imagine having both sides done like you did. Hopefully, every day will get better. I hate that exercise device!

I wanted to private message you, but guess it's not allowed on this site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKChica View Post
I've been wondering how you were doing. I wasn't able to log on until now. Sorry to hear you're in so much pain. I quit taking the pain meds after three days since they weren't helping. Are you feeling better today?

Last edited by nja753; 03-11-2013 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Add to post

Old 03-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #14
(female)

AKChica HB User

Good to hear that you're doing better! Yes, that device is more like a torture device ! It took me awhile to realize the extent of the surgery and that it was going to take months to heal. How's the eating going? I still can't eat a sandwich or burger (probably for the best though).

Old 03-12-2013, 05:20 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB User

What is a fat graft? I am contemplating surgery and the surgeon is going to remove my disc and replace it with fat taken from body - he said it would be about a tablespoon amount and probably taken from my head or my but if there is not enough and the fat would then act like the disc. Is this the same procedure that you underwent (I have to undergo a few more procedures too).

What is the "exercise device" you are referring to you? Is it a thermabite? I've been told I would have to use that and wonder how well it works.

Thanks

ps. hope you are feeling better - I think jaw surgery is really rough - and that is what scares me.

Reply Reply