It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
(female)

rebeccacr HB User
My story - trying to find an answer

Hello. This is my first post here, so bear with me! In 2002 I was in an accident where I broke my jaw in three places (both joints at back and also in the front). I had jaw surgery and my jaw wired shut. Spend years afterwards going through extensive dental work as I also broke about 8 teeth, and had to have 3 bridge implants as well as about 5 root canals. My jaw has never clicked or popped, but also has never been back to normal. I have always had very limited mobility and clench constantly. I have had random on and off soreness but like I said never have had any of that clicking or popping. I just had to get a bridge redone after 10 years, and my dentist still struggles to get my bite correct.

Anyways, fast forward to June of this year, when I developed a sore throat on my left side along with some ear pain on and off. Went to the dr., was given antibiotics for possible strep (they couldn't determine if I had it). Didn't do anything. Went back to the doctor and she sent me to and ENT in August. The ENT put a scope thing down my nose to look in my throat and couldn't find anything but felt that it was probably a lingering infection that was just being difficult. Put me on stronger antibiotics. I felt better within 24 hours. Then in the beginning of October, the sore throat came back in the same spot, although a little less painful. What became more prevalent was the ear and neck pain. I have been getting sharp on and off pain in my left ear, and tenderness in front of my each and right below it. I also have a "stretching" feeling along my neck on that side. Throat still feels raw. I am going back to the ENT on Tuesday, but am becoming really scared. She is a top notch local ENT so I totally trust her, and she knows of my jaw history but never mentioned anything about TMJ last time. Has anyone ever been through a similar situation? Is it possible to have TMJ without any popping or clicking? Thank you!!

ETA: My doctor also had xrays done of my neck and head area on the left side. Would they have been able to tell anything from that?

Last edited by rebeccacr; 11-09-2012 at 12:23 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
(male)

Liquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB User
Re: My story - trying to find an answer

To answer your question as simple as possible, yes you can have tmj without jaw noises.A good portion of tmj suffers ,is a muscular problem.I am one of these ppl as well, not an easy problem to deal with as you already know by your story.

Reply Reply