It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
(male)

Liquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB User
Tmj and dry mouth

Does anyone get dry mouth from tmj?

Old 11-30-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Tmj and dry mouth

That's a new one for me on the TMJ board. There is a sticky with a list of primary TMJ symptoms and excess saliva is mentioned, but not dry mouth. I imagine if you are having trouble closing your mouth properly that you could develop dry mouth.

You've posted about having sinus problems. Are you taking any antihistamines? If so, that could cause your dry mouth.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2012, 06:13 AM   #3
(male)

Liquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB User

You know what I can really use your opinion mountain reader on my full symptoms.Between me and my tmj dentist,doctor,ENT,and allergist we are all trying to figure out my problem.All my problems started in march and started in a weird way.I was a heavy weight lifter before march(I've stopped) since then.If you don't mind reading this long story I'd be delighted if you could give me your best opinion based of experience and what you've read on these boards.Please! Here is how my problem started. : last few weeks in feb everytime I went to sleep I'd get a weird wheezing sound in my chest (no problems breathing or restriction just the sound).March 3rd woke up and had tight chest in my pecs and back like all my muscles solidified.I was told it was muscular after having my heart checked and X-rays and blood work.Was given pills and sent home.Around April 2nd week the chest tightness was gone but I got extreme back pain but only in one area like a silver dollar size and Dizzyness and acid reflux (probably all my pills).After getting more X-rays and blood work and physio my family doc sent me for MRI of spine/shoulder both came back negative.Around this time I started getting tingling upper teeth (mostly when going to bed) and stiff neck that was random.After another month of physio,ostiopath,massage therapy I developed new symptoms.Many knots upper back and blood in saliva in the mornings plus post nasal drip.Also on hot/humid days dry mouth.Then I had the camera down my throat to check esophagus/stomach ,more blood tests and chest X-rays ,all excellent.Off I went to an ENT who said my nose inside was flat out swollen shut, hence the post nasal drip,sore throat and sinus problems.Dry mouth she equated to allergies and jaw pain as well.Then more drugs and steroids,I also noticed the more post nasal drip the less jaw pain.No post nasal drip more jaw pain .I went to see a tmj dentist who said my bite was great,no noises nothing ,just slight slant and one sides muscles were stronger which most ppl have.He asked me if I glench at night but I don't know.i said I'd wake up with sore face at night and anxiety but not during the day.He made me a splint to stop clenching and redress that slant .Off I went to allergist and had two full panels one scratch test and one blood test plus gluten.Came back as follows: soy,peanuts,pollen,extremely high dust mites,hazzlenut and apples.The allergist told me also that all weightlifting supplements contain extreme soy products.So logically I cut my soy by 95% and all the other foods.No more knots in back unless I accidentally eat soy.Since then also neck tension dropped a lot and with trigger point therapy I do myself ,my ears are almost normal.Now I get nose burning from going inside to outside in cold weather plus nose pain since heaters have been on and windows closed,plus eye pressure and sensativity. It seems then ill get maxillary sinus pressure and then jaw pain after not before. Super hot showers help because instantly ill get a post nasal drip and my sinuses drain relieving pressure .Phew, so with all that said I still don't know is it a dust mite allergy pushing pressure on my jaw ,is it tmj,is it both? Or neither? All my docs don't know what more to test ?? I get fatigued quickly also some days but from allergies or tmj?? See why I'm confused???

Old 12-01-2012, 10:50 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Hi Liquidplasma,

You put a lot out there and it is late tonight so I'll address a few things and check back later for more.

Over the last several years, I've had to deal with many similar issues to yours. My symptoms for those issues have manifested differently than many of yours though. It really sounds like you have multiple issues that you are dealing with. They may be connected, but not always directly.

You mention a lot of testing you've been through. Did your ENT have you get a CT of your sinuses? Did your TMJ Dentist do a 360 CT or Cone Beam scan?

If not, it might be worth checking into. The views of your sinuses can really help pinpoint if you have a sinus problem that might be connecting to your teeth/jaw problems. I know when I used to have chronic sinus problems that it caused me some dental problems. This was years before my TMJD issues popped up. Also, I found out that my wisdom teeth were impacted and roots were extremely close to my sinuses.

It is a long-term treatment, but I have found allergy immunotherapy to be very helpful. I've been very suspicious of food allergies, but all of my testing to date has come back negative. Allergies can put a huge stress on the body though.

The allergy/asthma/reflux issue for me can be a viscious cycle. My symptoms often mimic each other so I'm not always sure what I'm dealing with. That makes it hard to figure out the trigger.

I believe I had TMJD long before I knew about it. I know for certain I had major bruxism issues. I had no idea the muscle/trigger point issues impacted my face, neck, shoulders, back and even hips so badly. I know I could get a 1 hour deep massage and still be all knotted up because the tension was so bad.

Through all of my research online, I really believe there is some sort of connective tissue issue going on that I don't have diagnosed yet. The reflux and joint issues I have are all related to connective tissue concerns. I'm curious, do you have any joint hypermobility? I realized I did in my 30's, around the time many of my problems started picking up. I know the hypermobility contributed to my TMJD developing.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
(male)

I checked online to understand what hyper mobility was.I don't carry any signs of having this.There are a few items I've had since my early twenties if not even late teens that I've always ignored.Maybe some of these developed into what I may have today.1: I used to get heart palpatations where my heart beat would kick into overdrive, this usually was triggered either by anger(stress) and me bending over and coming back up a certain way.2: whenever I worked crouched down for long periods of time (knees bent and legs bent in a position like sitting down on your heels) ,for somewhat long periods ,I'd get terrible headaches.Also when standing up from this poistion quickly I'd get dizzy for a few seconds.3: for about the last 7-8 years id require putting Cotten in my left ear in the winter otherwise it would get sore and creep up into a headache.Lots of odd stuff like this that frankly I'd ignore.Im wondering if I don't have either an atlas bone adjustment problem pinching nerves,causing jaw misalignment and allergy/sinus problems?Spinal alignment issues /pelvis alignment issues all of which last years weightlifting episode compounded the problem to what it is? I'm stumped right now on going to which specalist to help me figure out this nightmare situation.Chiropraters scare me,they give me that used car salesman feeling.Yet they are the only ones who could identify a spinal/atlas structure problem as long as he/she is an honest chiro.As for the ct scan ill be demanding one on dec 21st at my ENT appointment

Reply Reply