It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
(male)

Liquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB User
Chiropractic treatment and TMJ

Can anyone using a chiropractor please tell me any of their experiences good or bad? I'm contemplating going to see one I can't take much more of my tmj problems.At this point I need to do something more.Also do any of you get quezzy when your neck is tight and jaw tight??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Chiropractic treatment and TMJ

I did some chiropractic work done as ongoing part of my treatment. It helped me with my neck, shoulder and back problems that were connected with the TMJD issues. My chiropractor was willing to do more work directly on my TMJ, but I was also seeing a well trained PT who was doing a lot of orofacial trigger point work so I didn't have him do much there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
(male)

Liquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB User

I'm On my way today at 545 to see one

Old 12-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #4
(female)

MissyJ HB UserMissyJ HB User

I found that I had (and still have) lots of postural issues together with my TMD issues. I believe when one part of the body gets misaligned, other parts of the body get affected as well and also become misaligned.

So in my case I had loss of lordosis and subluxated vertebras in my neck, and I believe that may be contributing to the muscle dysfunction in my jaw, head, neck, and face (tension, spasms, tightness, pulling etc).

I also have uneven shoulders and hips, and that sometimes gives me lower back pain and knee pain on the right side.

I have been in chiropractic care since February this year. Then I started TMJ treatment in about April.

While I am still in a lot of discomfort now, and definitely not 'cured' yet, I would say the chiropractic care has helped me to a certain extent, and I guess helped me to 'manage' my condition. The curve in my neck has improved, and the frequency of my back pain and knee pain has reduced.

While my chiropractor does not work directly on my TMJ, I believe the overall improvement in posture will at least somewhat help the TMJ a bit (most of the time he works on my neck). I do still have a lot of muscle dysfunction in the areas I mentioned earlier, so that's something I'm still working on with the chiropractor and dentist.

I do recommend seeing anyone that can take a look and work on your posture if needed. That could be a chiropractor, physical therapist, or osteopath. They may first look at your posture, palpate to see if you have any subluxations, or refer you to get x-rays before doing treatments.

So I see that you have already made an appointment to see a chiropractor. How did it go?

Old 12-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
(male)

From what I've been reading on the 3 books on tmj,two books on back pain and one book on trigger points: in some cases tmj can be caused by posture.Evidently not trauma impacts or dental issues but in my case I'm making an educated guess it is postural.Like some people here I don't have jaw locking,jaw noises,mouth opening problems etc.My problem is pure muscle spasm / tension.My problem also started in my left upper back and frankly actually started because of a super tight chest.This was caused by weightlifting 6 times a week improperly. My left side neck is so crooked that its evident to anyone looking at me.Plus my shoulders are a full 1-2 inches off each other. My tmj flares from the following: sitting at labtop/CPU, texting looking down,working hunched over, overhead lifting. My spine also curves to the left only upper back. My tmj symptoms are as follows : Dizzyness,a feeling like I'm gonna have a spasm almost like a nerve about to fire off (worst symptom), tingling upper teeth, pressure in bridge of nose, ear fullness and swelling not eliminated by my own triggerpoint therapy.Numb tongue at tip, maxillary sinus pressure ,stiff/sore neck,eye sensativity, sore spot upper left back. All in no particular order,all random on different days/ symptoms. I am hoping from a logical stand point that reversing my posture damage should/ would reverse the damage??? But nobody can or wants to answer that one.

Reply Reply