It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 03:29 AM   #1
(male)

DM443 HB User
Question Is this TMJ or Something Worse?

I was in treatment at the orthodontist for TMJ for about 4 months. I was complaining of pain so he had X-rays done and fitted me for an upper splint to replace my retainer. It seemed to help with the pain, but over time I noticed the left side of my face seemed to slowly deviate downwards. I began feeling my face trying to find any changes and I noticed that when I open and close my mouth I feel the joint pop out one the left side, but absolutely nothing on the right side. From what I understand and noticed in other family members and friends, I should be feeling the joint popping out on both sides. What exactly does this mean? I stopped wearing the splint and went back to my retainer because it seemed like my teeth stopped "hitting even" a few days after each adjustment (he kept spacing out the appointments by 6 weeks so it was painful to wear it uneven), and I began to think that the splint could be what is causing my jaw to deviate as well as the lack of movement on one side from my joint. Is my joint displaced? I am going to see a chiro that my family sees and will probably be seeing him 3 times a week for a month, however I am very suspicious of him as from what I understand he doesn't really practice the type of chiropractic care that a good one would, but I can only really go by what I see online. Any suggestions? Anyone you know here in Florida that will be able to help for sure? I'm willing to try anything that isn't too invasive. My concern isn't even the pain anymore, I've dealt with that and it went away in a month or so. I'm concerned with the fact that my face is misaligned and my joint might be out of place and I strongly believe it will not heal on it's own like it has in the past when I had bouts of TMJ.

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by DM443; 12-14-2012 at 03:31 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2012, 05:44 AM   #2
(male)

Liquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB User
Re: Is this TMJ or Something Worse?

The only thing I can suggest is asking your tmj specalist for a ct scan to actually see if your joint is out of place (disk) really.As for the chiro just a heads up ,they can't put back a jaw by banging it into place.No matter what they convinced you to believe it is impossible.Chiro's can help with alignment issues (poor posture,crooked posture) that may be causing your problems.I stress may because that's for a tmj specalist to point out.Dont forget anything crooked or out of alignment causes muscles to contract or spasm.Its the brains way of trying to stop further degradation,unfortunately it sometime causes more displacement.Loosening up these muscles through massage,PT ,trigger point therapy allows splints and other devices to then replace everything to wear it goes.Even Chiro's can't snap back anything permanently if the muscles are tight, a squashed vertebrae from a bike accident etc yes,but a posture or long term jaw problem doubtful. Google tmj disc displacement this will explain in great detail all about discs/damage etc.The mainstay of the population have disc damage and minor displacement as they age,just the majority don't over react like us tmj syndrome sufferers!

Old 12-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
(male)

DM443 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidplasma View Post
The only thing I can suggest is asking your tmj specalist for a ct scan to actually see if your joint is out of place (disk) really.As for the chiro just a heads up ,they can't put back a jaw by banging it into place.No matter what they convinced you to believe it is impossible.Chiro's can help with alignment issues (poor posture,crooked posture) that may be causing your problems.I stress may because that's for a tmj specalist to point out.Dont forget anything crooked or out of alignment causes muscles to contract or spasm.Its the brains way of trying to stop further degradation,unfortunately it sometime causes more displacement.Loosening up these muscles through massage,PT ,trigger point therapy allows splints and other devices to then replace everything to wear it goes.Even Chiro's can't snap back anything permanently if the muscles are tight, a squashed vertebrae from a bike accident etc yes,but a posture or long term jaw problem doubtful. Google tmj disc displacement this will explain in great detail all about discs/damage etc.The mainstay of the population have disc damage and minor displacement as they age,just the majority don't over react like us tmj syndrome sufferers!
Thanks for the reply. That all makes sense for the most part. So do you suggest I ask my orthodontist for a CT scan and continue to wear my splint as well as go to the chiro and look for a massage therapist that specializes in TMJ massage? I am not entirely sure if my orthodontist specializes in TMJ, but he did have a TMJ thing for me to fill out as well as a treatment plan and tools for measuring my jaw and he seems to know what he's talking about for the most part when I ask him questions but I have no way of really knowing for sure. Is it standard practice to simply make you a splint and grind the corners until it "hits even" and then make further appointments to adjust the splint to "hit even" again (after both adjustments that I had, my jaw wasn't hitting even at all after the 3 or 4th day of wearing it)? Or are they supposed to grind the splint a certain way that doesn't hit even but will assist my jaw to going back into place? My orthodontist actually seemed to get a little weird when I told him I had a couple visits with a chiro. He seemed to be very anti-chiro, but I told him I stopped going and he was relieved. I'm just not really sure who to trust with my jaw.

Thanks again!

Last edited by DM443; 12-14-2012 at 04:06 PM.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
(male)

Liquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB User

Honestly I can't tell you what's best for you simply because tmj varies from person to person . As for doctors go with ones you trust just be careful.So far from my experience they all tell you what you want to hear.My first chiro said my back hurt because of a displaced rib , when in fact it was a huge muscle knot.The second chiro said he knew about tmj.He pushed where my joint is and said there I just adjusted it lol .Ok thanks and I left never to return ,obviously he knew nothing of jaw discs and how they work. Right now I'm seeing a massage therapist to keep me on my feet snd st work.A tmj dentist that made me a splint for when I sleep that will be adjusted in 3 weeks. For splints it's not 100% about getting your bite perfect.Its about getting your jaw in a position where the muscles stop their spasms,and hence stop pulling the jaw out of alignment.Logically this is where you'd bit would be aligned properly.TMJ is very misunderstood and therefore harder to find people to treate it properly.( or at least good people).I can't tell you your next steps because I'm not a doctor and I'd bet my tmj is different from yours.For me massage therapy helps, jaw exercises,stretching,cutting my stress levels,and soon hopefully alignment therapy by another chiro to correct my posture.Not to bash my jaw into place which is impossible.Im on month 9 of trying to understand snd fix my issues.Tmj in Montreal Canada is not any easy fix,hardly and people claim to treat it.

Reply Reply