It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
(female)

Jen190 HB User
How do I know I am ready to start Phase II (braces)?

I started Phase I Splint therapy 7 months ago. My jaw is still not 100% normal. There are still some minor symptoms. Also, I think my discs have not been recaptured. However, my tmj dentist thinks it's time for me to move on to Phase II.

He thinks I should be able to see more relief and progress by using braces to close my anterior open bite (which could be caused by disc displacement or relapse of previous braces)

How to decide if it's time to start braces considering there is little chance for disc recapture.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2012, 12:38 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: How do I know I am ready to start Phase II (braces)?

I'm not sure there really is a set guideline for when Phase I ends and Phase II starts.

For me, it was when my facial and neck muscles stopped spasming and my bite naturally fell into the "correct" positioning. My TMJ Orthodontist did a repeat 3D CT ConeBeam scan at that point as well to check on the positioning of my TMJ before discussing phase II options.

I actually kept my lower repositioning splint with my upper braces until my upper arch was into position before ditching it for the lower braces. For me, this took about 11 months. Throughout the process, my dentist cut back my lower splint a molar at a time so I could start wearing brackets and elastics to erupt my back molars to help with my bite.

One caution about the move from Phase I to Phase II: you will go through a period of transition and may have some of your TMJD symptoms temporarily return. I know I found that to be the case when I moved to full braces.

Good luck with your transition and treatment.

MountainReader

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2012, 08:49 AM   #3
(female)

Jen190 HB User
Re: How do I know I am ready to start Phase II (braces)?

MountainReader,

How is your bite after phase I and before phase II? What do you mean by "bite naturally fell into the "correct" positioning""? If the bite is already in correct position after phase I, why do you still need braces? I don't quite understand.

How is your tmj/bite condition now? Do you still wear your splint?

Thank you!

Jen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainReader View Post
I'm not sure there really is a set guideline for when Phase I ends and Phase II starts.

For me, it was when my facial and neck muscles stopped spasming and my bite naturally fell into the "correct" positioning. My TMJ Orthodontist did a repeat 3D CT ConeBeam scan at that point as well to check on the positioning of my TMJ before discussing phase II options.

I actually kept my lower repositioning splint with my upper braces until my upper arch was into position before ditching it for the lower braces. For me, this took about 11 months. Throughout the process, my dentist cut back my lower splint a molar at a time so I could start wearing brackets and elastics to erupt my back molars to help with my bite.

One caution about the move from Phase I to Phase II: you will go through a period of transition and may have some of your TMJD symptoms temporarily return. I know I found that to be the case when I moved to full braces.

Good luck with your transition and treatment.

MountainReader

Reply Reply