It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2013, 04:41 AM   #16
(female)

Lilygirl254 HB User
Question Re: Can Tmj Affect the neck Muscles?

I'm not sure my problem's related, but it's been hard to find anything regarding the SCM (sternocleidomastoid) muscle. I've gone to my dentist several times complaining of pain in the bottom right back of my mouth. The dentist couldn't find anything but is sending me to an endodontist to make sure I don't need a root canal. I don't have any clicking/popping in my jaw that is usually associated with TMJ. The pain I'm having in my mouth goes from my bottom right to the top right and then towards the top front of my mouth. The pain is rarely in all these places at the same time. There are times when I don't have any mouth pain at all. At the same time my neurologist found that pain and pressure I'm having in my head and face are being caused by my SCM muscle. It doesn't make sense that a toothache can go from bottom to top to front. Can my SCM muscle be causing referred pain in my mouth. I would like to hear from anyone who can relate. Thank you.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:56 AM   #17
(female)

clencher1 HB Userclencher1 HB Userclencher1 HB Userclencher1 HB User
Re: Can Tmj Affect the neck Muscles?

Your SCM is most definitely very connected to TMJ issues. And to answer your question about referring pain from neck to jaw...this is very common. My PT treats many cases like this. I actually have the opposite referral pattern...my tmj misalignment is causing my neck pain.

The Following User Says Thank You to clencher1 For This Useful Post:
Lilygirl254 (09-12-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2013, 05:30 AM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB User
Re: Can Tmj Affect the neck Muscles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilygirl254 View Post
I'm not sure my problem's related, but it's been hard to find anything regarding the SCM (sternocleidomastoid) muscle. I've gone to my dentist several times complaining of pain in the bottom right back of my mouth. The dentist couldn't find anything but is sending me to an endodontist to make sure I don't need a root canal. I don't have any clicking/popping in my jaw that is usually associated with TMJ. The pain I'm having in my mouth goes from my bottom right to the top right and then towards the top front of my mouth. The pain is rarely in all these places at the same time. There are times when I don't have any mouth pain at all. At the same time my neurologist found that pain and pressure I'm having in my head and face are being caused by my SCM muscle. It doesn't make sense that a toothache can go from bottom to top to front. Can my SCM muscle be causing referred pain in my mouth. I would like to hear from anyone who can relate. Thank you.
I have neck pain issues specifically the SCM muscle - I think it could be causing referred pain in your mouth -or if SCM muscle is tight - it might be indirectly pulling on other muscles which is causing the pain. I have pain right under some specific teeth at times - its not a tooth ache but more like my tooth is being pulled on constantly.

Reply Reply