It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
(male)

Hondeh HB User
Can Tmj Affect the neck Muscles?

so for a wile now ive been having issues with my jaw. i had 3 impacted wisdom teeth removed and it didint really go away. from time to time i will get some jaw pain under neath and right infront of the ear, my jaw also pops like 90% of the time i open it. so im pretty convinced i have tmj. just recently after getting my wisdom teeth out ive been having some trouble with my ear again it always feels full like i have a cold. and some times it pops. some days its better than others i try not to sleep on my left side (the side it all happens on) and when i dont its alot better. but also my neck some times hurts down the front and around my coller bone. i was looking it up online and found out it could be my sternocleidomastoid muscle in my neck. i have most of the symtoms of it and was wondering if that muscle could get out of control with tmj? some times occasionally i will get a pain in the top of my head or in the back wile moving my head. witch can be caused by the sternocleidomastoid. was just curious if anyone elese had this problem. im also kind of a worrier and have noticed if i dont think about it i dont notice really anything haha. thanks for reading.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
(male)

Liquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB User
Re: Can Tmj Affect the neck Muscles?

I have terrible neck problems.When my tmj was at its worst I had superb tight weak neck and jaw pain.So yes tmj can affect the neck,do you have a job where you sit in front of a labtop or slouch?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #3
(male)

Hondeh HB User

i dont have a job that i do that at. but yes i am at a computer around 8 hours a day when i get home.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Absolutely, it can have an impact. I did a lot of PT work on my facial, neck and shoulders as part of my early TMJD treatment, along with splint therapy. I even had adjustments to my hips on a few visits because with the jaw out of alignment, it throws other things out of alignment as well.

There is a great book that I learned a lot from. I think it would help you understand what is going on. It is called The TMJ Healing Plan by Cynthia Peterson, PT.

You can see a lot of my story here. My TMJD journey started at the end of 2009.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #5
(male)

Liquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB User

I forgot to add tmj can cause poor posture and neck problens or vice versa can be a symptom

Old 01-24-2013, 02:18 AM   #6
(female)

SueinMargate HB User

double post sorry.

Last edited by SueinMargate; 01-24-2013 at 02:21 AM. Reason: double post sorry.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:19 AM   #7
(female)

SueinMargate HB User

It definitely causes pains in the neck for me. In fact it IS a pain in the neck!
I find massage of the neck and shoulders, even self massage can help a lot.
Also, you sure you should be sitting at a computer for 8 hours when you get home??
If you must, try and get up and walk around every half hour for 5 minutes and try not to stick your head forward towards the screen, That is a trigger for me always.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidplasma View Post
I forgot to add tmj can cause poor posture and neck problens or vice versa can be a symptom
I missed this posting before. ABSOLUTELY!!!! TMJ can be linked to posture and neck problems. With TMJD you are out of alignment. One thing impacts another. Poor posture can also make the TMJ worse.

There is a lot of information on this in the book The TMJ Healing Plan my Cynthia Peterson if you want to have a more in-depth explaination.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #9
(male)

Hondeh HB User

thanks guys good to know. sry i didint really specify but my main concern was if tmj could make your neck outa wack then that leads to head pain.once in a wile i will turn my head or look down and i get a top of head more to the top left kind of pain. like a shock. and i found out the neck muscles are i guess linked to the top of your head. also i agree i do not need to set infront of my computer for 8 hours haha thats just the inner gamer in me. ill try to change that. one more thing is there any kind of stretching at home i can do for neck relief kind of thing?

Old 01-25-2013, 03:12 AM   #10
(female)

SueinMargate HB User

Yeh there is definitely.
Sit with back straight.
tilt your head forward so your chin is tucked into your neck. Feel the stretch at the back of your neck.
Tilt your head back as far as is possible so you are looking at the ceiling to stretch the front neck muscles. Not too hard. Gently. Slowly.
Turn your head as far as you comfortably can to the left to look over your left shoulder.
Same with the right. Do each of these 20 times. Take it gently. Don't force but you should be able to increase the amount you can turn your head.
These are the ones I do.
There are others on the web but be careful. Some say to open your mouth wide and this is not good for everyone.

This is one is useful:
Put your teeth together, tongue just behind front teeth.
Move the tip of your tongue back along the roof of your mouth until it is touching the soft part of your palate, keeping your teeth together.
Keeping the tip of your tongue there, open your mouth until the tip just parts with the palate. Hold it for 5 secs. Close for 5 secs. Do this 10 time a couple of times a day. You may get some pain from doing this at first but persevere. Hopefully it will pay off.

Last edited by SueinMargate; 01-25-2013 at 03:14 AM.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB User

TMJ can definitely affect your neck pain. I have chronic neck pain and shoulder on the right side and I have a TMJ problem with right jaw. Watch your posture, especially in front of the computer - people tend to slouch and jut their heads forward which puts strain on the neck and jaw - my jaw and neck are always worse after being in front of the computer for a long time. I find soaking in hot baths up to your chin helps. If you can afford it, consider a physio to see if they can recommend some streches or also a massage thereapist you can work on your neck (if its not too painful). YOu should probably have your neck examined by a doctor just to be on the safe side.

I also tried trigger point injections - basically the doctor injected a saline solution of anesthetic into various spots in my nect and shoulder - the combination of injecting into the muscle and freezing it relaxes it. It is painful and I needed weekly visits. But its something to explore if you can afford it and your neck pain is really bad, but you need to find a doctor that specialize in pain management and ideally one who knows alot about the TMJ joint. This was helping me but I stopped - last session something happened. He had been doing injections in my jaw as well (not the joint itself) and that evening I couldn't chew without pain. That was over a week ago and now I'm on a liquid diet. I don't what happened. I don't know if it is a coincidence or if he injected me incorrectly. So if you go the trigger point route, take it slow and make sure your doctor knows what he is doing (I thought mine did).

Old 03-17-2013, 07:10 AM   #12
(female)

clencher1 HB Userclencher1 HB Userclencher1 HB Userclencher1 HB User

Hi, I am new here and just posted my story. I had to respond to this thread because I have TMJ and the ONLY symptoms I have is neck pain, so YES, neck pain is part of the list of symptoms. I am undergoing PT now for this condition and alot of the advice on this board is good. Some of my PT involves eye movement believe it or not!! One is where I lie down with my legs on a chair. Take a deep breath, exhale and at the same time do a pelvic tilt and look down at your toes without moving your head (just your eyes). You will feel a stretch in the muscles at the very top of the back of your neck...muscles very heard to stretch. I have a whole lot of other exercises. If you want them, let me know. Maybe I can get them to you off line.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Mandolyn HB UserMandolyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainReader View Post
Absolutely, it can have an impact. I did a lot of PT work on my facial, neck and shoulders as part of my early TMJD treatment, along with splint therapy. I even had adjustments to my hips on a few visits because with the jaw out of alignment, it throws other things out of alignment as well.

There is a great book that I learned a lot from. I think it would help you understand what is going on. It is called The TMJ Healing Plan by Cynthia Peterson, PT.

You can see a lot of my story here. My TMJD journey started at the end of 2009.

Really? Your jaw being messed up could cause hip problems? I have gone through two episdoes with my low back flaring up, disc problems-- after working out. My x rays show a tilted pelvis and mild scoliosis. At that time I never thought about TMJD even though I had constant ear congestion in the left ear. The thing with me though is I don't have popping when I open my mouth. There is sometimes this crackly type clicking in my left ear when I do any high impact or jumping, like bouncing moves (during working out) My chiro used the hammer thing on my jaw the last time around and I have had less of all of that since. My jaw was only tight up by my ear and hard to open my mouth as wide as I usually can. But no popping or clicking. But what is the thumping type sound in the ears? I get that occasionally.
So apparently my left hip is 8 mm higher than my right and all this jaw stuff is on my left too. But it feels like my left jaw is lower than my right. My right side teeth come together before my left side when I bite down.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandolyn View Post
Really? Your jaw being messed up could cause hip problems? I have gone through two episdoes with my low back flaring up, disc problems-- after working out. My x rays show a tilted pelvis and mild scoliosis. At that time I never thought about TMJD even though I had constant ear congestion in the left ear. The thing with me though is I don't have popping when I open my mouth. There is sometimes this crackly type clicking in my left ear when I do any high impact or jumping, like bouncing moves (during working out) My chiro used the hammer thing on my jaw the last time around and I have had less of all of that since. My jaw was only tight up by my ear and hard to open my mouth as wide as I usually can. But no popping or clicking. But what is the thumping type sound in the ears? I get that occasionally.
So apparently my left hip is 8 mm higher than my right and all this jaw stuff is on my left too. But it feels like my left jaw is lower than my right. My right side teeth come together before my left side when I bite down.
My TMJ orthodontist actually recommends multiple complementary treatments to support whole body health while he is providing the dental treatment. They include physical therapy, cranio-sacral therapy, nutrition support, massage, naturopathic medicine, chiropractic therapy, etc...

Whole body alignment is important. TMJD therapy should also involve addressing posture issues.

I have had the chiropractic hammer thing done on my tmj. I never found that it did much. Manual therapy and trigger point therapy really have helped me.

I have never had any popping or clicking that are obvious. When I really pay attention, I can feel it though. My main issues were ear and muscle issues.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:44 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Mandolyn HB UserMandolyn HB User

Mountain Reader- That is my issues. Left ear congestion and Jaw tightness right by it. The past few days haven't been bad though, in fact I barely notice it until I brush my teeth at night with my electric tooth brush and I have all my wisdom teeth so I have to get way back there. And I floss every night too so I try not to open my mouth too wide. I don't have a small mouth either. .. so knowing I can't open it like I used to does show there is something going on up there. I just have crackling in my years when I yawn and when I exercise sometimes there is this clicking in my ear, only when doing a jumping jack or something with impact like that. I also see a Chiropractor for my back. Since he has given me a heel lift to wear I have been really having muscle pain everywhere...back, legs, the legs hit me at night and in the middle of the night I get severe cramping sometimes. I take supplements and drink water and stretch. I even take Hylands Leg Cramps and Xanax! But most nights it doesnt help so I am going to talk to my Chiro tomorrow about this. 3 weeks of this is far too long. Of course I don't wear the heel lift around the house...I don't wear shoes inside. All I know is since my lower back went "out" in December after working out one day the rest of my muscles want to go downhill too- and my spine. Today I am having a BAD day with muscles that have been pulled or tweaked by my upper spine below my neck. And shin splints. It's ridiculous!

Last edited by Mandolyn; 03-17-2013 at 07:45 PM.

Reply Reply