It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
(female)

BazingaGirl HB User
TMJ newbie!

Hi everyone! I was recently diagnosed with TMJ.
I kept having what I thought were ear infections for the last 2 months.
My primary care Doc gave me Augmentin once, then weeks later, Ceftin,
then a week later Z-Pak. Nice to know I didn't need these.
I went to an ENT to find out why I had these constant ear infections.
Well, I went during my ear pain and my ENT did a full exam.
My ears were clear, my Eustachian tubes totally clear.
After a full exam he gave me the diagnosis......TMJ.
My symptoms (at the worst) have been (more on the left side):
ear pain, ear clogging/pressure, headache, neck pain, jaw pain (no popping or clicking), facial pain on that side, and annoying (low) ear sounds. Not really ringing, but sounds. When I clench my teeth together it sounds louder.
I actually clench my teeth a lot in my sleep. I will be contacting my dentist for a bite block.
Will the sounds go away after my TMJ settles?

Also, I want to add that I recently had a lot of dentist work, and I think this is when it all began. I had 2 crowns put in and some fillings. This was just a few months ago, and now this.

Last edited by BazingaGirl; 01-27-2013 at 07:57 PM. Reason: adding info

Old 01-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: TMJ newbie!

Hi BazingaGirl,

My TMJ diagnosis came after I had some bad ear problems as well. It took me a lot longer to get my diagnosis though.

Dental work like your crowns can certainly trigger your TMJD issues.

I HIGHLY recommend seeking out a dentist who has a lot of additional training in treating TMJD issues. There are a lot of stories out there of people who have had their TMJD made worse by well meaning dentists who don't have a lot of training. Based on my experiences a Functional Orthodontist with the additional TMJD and Orofacial Pain training is a good place to start. Before getting the bite block, you may want to get a couple consultations.

I learned the hard way about the difficulty finding a good dentist for treatment. It wasn't covered by my insurance and I put a lot of money out to dentists who didn't help.

I actually found that a lower mandibular repositioning splint was most effective in helping with my ear issues. It encouraged my lower jaw back into a forward position and allowed those muscles around my ear to come out of spasm as well. In my case, my tmj discs had slipped forward a bit which resulted in the lower jaw being pushed back towards my ears which caused my ear issues. The lower jaw and ear are just mm apart.

I'm really not sure if a bite block will be a good long-term solution. I'd certainly ask a lot of questions before beginning treatment.

There is a great book out there that I highly recommend to help you learn more about TMJD and the various treatment options. It is called The TMJ Healing Plan by Cynthia Peterson, PT. It is pretty inexpensive and could potentially save you money as you seek for treatments that work. I certainly wish it has been published before I started my journey.

I wish you well in your treatment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2013, 01:46 AM   #3
(female)

BazingaGirl HB User

Thank you so much, MountainReader!
That is very helpful information as I am still very new to this and don't know too much yet; I'm still googling.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
(male)

lancewan HB Userlancewan HB Userlancewan HB User

Bazingagirl

I as a teenager had quite a lot of dental work but always had a certain amount of feeling that my jaw felt not quite aligned, my symptoms got really bad in the last couple of years and not sure why this has suddenly come about.

I would suggest doing some exercises to help the jaw muscles strengthen and work normally but also do some neck and shoulder stretches to help relieve referred tension.

Hope everything gets better.

Reply Reply