It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 03:18 AM   #1
(female)

zipster HB User
Anyone felt this?

I have been wearing a bottom splint for over 2 years and been doing ok. 2 months ago I started getting mild earache and thought my splint wanted heightened so my dentist heightened it. I started feeling worse so I saw him again and got it reduced again. The following week I woke up with vertigo and during the day felt like I was on a boat with constant off balance feeling. I had earache every day and pressure in the side of my head and my eye felt like I had been punched in it and watery. I went to the optician and my eyes were fine. I saw my osteopath and she did her thing and my symptoms seemed to ease for a few weeks. But I was laying in bed last week and my head went funny again like a brief dizzy spell and my heads been awful since. The left side of my face feels like there is constant pressure in it sometimes in temple area or my cheek area. My brain fog is awful and headaches every day. I just don't understand why I am getting all these things when I have been doing ok with my splint for 2 years.
Any one have any advice or had anything similar?

Old 02-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Anyone felt this?

What kind of splint are you wearing?

Is it a flat plane splint? A repositioning splint? Another type?

I wore a lower mandibular repositioning splint for 26 months. I regularly went in to have it adjusted as my muscles loosened and my bite changed.

Are you wearing the splint permenantly or are you planning to do Phase II treatment?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2013, 04:06 AM   #3
(female)

zipster HB User

It's a repositioning splint that I wear permenantly. I was doing ok until all this started and I can't understand it. Maybe I have disturbed something with getting it heightented too far?
My dentist was wanting to move into phase 2 because I was doing loads better but don't know what to do now.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
(male)

lancewan HB Userlancewan HB Userlancewan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainReader View Post
What kind of splint are you wearing?

Is it a flat plane splint? A repositioning splint? Another type?

I wore a lower mandibular repositioning splint for 26 months. I regularly went in to have it adjusted as my muscles loosened and my bite changed.

Are you wearing the splint permenantly or are you planning to do Phase II treatment?
MountainReader

When you had issues with your tmj did you have and other muscle tension and issue with old injuries which caused neck/shoulder or back pain?

I have luckily not had to go down the road of a splint and it seems my regime keeps any symptoms at bay but I would like to find out if you had any other issues?

I have a number of injuries which over the years finally took its toll and my tmj came out in force about 18 months ago but I now know how to keep it at bay.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipster View Post
It's a repositioning splint that I wear permenantly. I was doing ok until all this started and I can't understand it. Maybe I have disturbed something with getting it heightented too far?
My dentist was wanting to move into phase 2 because I was doing loads better but don't know what to do now.
Hi Zipster,

I think you need to go back for another consultation with your dentist to discuss your options. Obviously, something needs to be changed again if you are having such severe problems.

What kind of dentist are you seeing? Does your dentist have a lot of training in treating TMJD?

What kinds of strategies has your dentist discussed with you as your Phase II options. I had several that were presented to me when it was time. We discussed pros and cons and ultimately, the choice was mine.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancewan View Post
MountainReader

When you had issues with your tmj did you have and other muscle tension and issue with old injuries which caused neck/shoulder or back pain?

I have luckily not had to go down the road of a splint and it seems my regime keeps any symptoms at bay but I would like to find out if you had any other issues?

I have a number of injuries which over the years finally took its toll and my tmj came out in force about 18 months ago but I now know how to keep it at bay.
I hadn't realized how bad my muscle tension was prior to beginning PT for my TMJD. I had a lot of problems with my jaw, neck and shoulder. With the tmj off, it caused the neck to be out of whack which then moved down into my shoulder.

You asked about prior injuries. I found out in 2007 that I have ligament laxity in some of my joints. I'm not double jointed, but hypermobile in some joints. I found this out when I started having severe shoulder issues with no injury. Turned out my shoulder subluxes a bit every time I move it. I ended up having subacromial decompression shoulder surgery in 2008. While I have my full ROM back, I do have constant issues with the shoulder trigger points. Ironically, the tightness there travels over to my neck and up to the jaw at times. It becomes a chick and egg type cycle.

Personally, I attribute the laxity as one of the triggers of my TMJD. I had surgery with intubation about 5-6 months prior to my tmj issues. I also had bruxism issues as well.

Glad to hear you are keeping your current symptoms at bay. That isn't always easy.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
(male)

MountainReader

Thanks for the info, I am fortunate in that my TMJ is easily managed now but it took a lot of research and understanding for me to tie all of my training and processes into a way that works for me.

I am trying to learn as much as possible about all aspects to ensure I manage my own condition and understand how my body should/will react.

Hope all stays well with you.

P.S I had a shoulder injury about 2 years ago (slight dislocation as well), incline bench press i think it was a 37kg DB I was using at the time, felt really good and strong, final rep of final set pushed hard and injured my right shoulder. Only last year got most issues resolved after a lot of physio.

My TMJ started in earnest just after that if memory servers me well, but my TMJ symptoms were on the opposite side of the shoulder injury. Need to see if that correlates with other people but based on referred tension it fits the bill.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #8
(male)

multi-post sorry!!

Reply Reply