It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
(male)

Jacko1992 HB User
Possible TMJ. Headaches, Sinus pressure, Facial pain...

Hi there, I'm a 20 yr old student and I've had a really rough ride over the past 3 months.

My pain started December when I suddenly came on with severe one-sided sinus like headache which was extremely painful. After a trip to the Dr. and being told I had cluster headaches due to hormones and then a trip to A&E I was told it was my sinuses. I was referred to ENT Dr. whom said it was inflammation in my head as I've got popping in my left ear and both ears have been ringing for about a year.

She was a poor communicator and checked my ears and hearing which were both fine, and put me on flixonase nasules... which I've now been on for 2 months and the popping and ringing is still there!!! She said It's not my sinuses as she checked with a camera.

My one sided headache went away once I discovered Diclofenac tablets 50mg which saved my life, I took them for 3 weeks and then stopped at christmas. I Didn't have much pain just the odd sensation for about 2/3 weeks untill the past 2 weeks I've now got these symptoms.

- Pressure feeling behind my eye (had them checked and they are healthy)
- Pressure feeling under my eyes sometimes
- Sensations around my eyebrow/sometimes pain like sinus and when bending over I can feel pressure (especially on the left, same side as the headaches and popping is) However I do get them on the right side as well now
- Clicking and popping Jaw (Not all the time but always notice it everyday)
- Sensations and pain on the side of my nose and cheeks which comes and goes
- Stiff neck which clicks sometimes
- Ringing ears and popping/fullness in the left (Which I've had for over a year)
- Occasional pain in my forehead only lasts a few minutes
- Occasional pain in my temples, they feel a little tender in the middle sometimes.
- Twitching left eye and eyebrow (This has calmed down over the past few days)

I've been extremely stressed about this and university fee's, and I am a stressful, anxious person. I do feel run down and tired often.

The dentist said there is signs I grind my teeth at night, however didn't mention TMJ and when I asked her if this could be causing my headaches (I went to her when I was just having headaches and popping jaw) she said come back in 6 weeks if its still there and we'll make you a mouthguard. It seemed like she didnt want to say anything then incase it was something serious and she messed up? The severe headaches have gone for now however I've now got the symptoms above.

Does anybody think this is TMJ or shall I go to my doctor and ask to see a neurologist?

Please someone I need some answers!!!!

Jack

Last edited by Jacko1992; 02-06-2013 at 04:55 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
(male)

Liquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB User
Re: Possible TMJ. Headaches, Sinus pressure, Facial pain...

If your dentist said you show signs you grind at night ,my opinion only ! Would be you may have tmj symptoms.Grinding is frankly a huge sign and stress your under another sign.Id bet your face muscles are tense even now.Do you wake up with headaches?

Old 02-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
(male)

Jacko1992 HB User

When I went to the dentist last time I even said to my girlfriend my jaw felt tight and my left cheek felt swollen, that was at the time
Of the severe one sided headaches.

The dentist said the headaches would normally be by the ears?
Sometimes the pain hurts in the morning but it just varies, I would say if it's bothering me it gets worse cos it stressess me out. It's more just wierd facial pain, and pressure above, behind and around my eyes,
Nose and face!

I just wasn't sure that this could cause such severe pain in the head though. I've no pain in the jaw though, it pops often and sometimes really loud, especially in the morning.

Last edited by Jacko1992; 02-07-2013 at 11:27 AM.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
(male)

lancewan HB Userlancewan HB Userlancewan HB User

Jacko

Most of my TMJ was jaw pain, misalignment and jaw clicking. I suffer from tension headaches and get tension in my scalp above my ears and temples. As Liquidplasma has said grinding or bruxism is normally stress related and i think in your case the worry about fees and studying is causing a lot of psychological stress. Grinding is a subconscious way of "chewing over" the problem but because no solution is found the brain subconsciously is still trying to find a solution.

I know it sounds silly but write down what your fee problem is, take a look at what options are available and use a tick list to work through everything. Going through this motion will subconsciously start resolving things and the brain will accept your are trying to resolve it. It will also focus you on something else.

The problems you have with tension are related to your bruxism as this constant pressure on the jaw and the jaw muscles is being referred into other parts of your scalp and face. This can also build up or transfer into the neck which explains some of those symptoms.

Your symptoms do indicate TMJ, have you tried any stretches nad facial massage? Do you exercise at all as that is a good way of relieving stress and helping you cope with mental stress as this acts as an outlet for it?

Old 02-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
(male)

Liquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB User

Don't rely on the position of the pain as a tmj indicator .My jaw is relatively pain free but because of my slanted jaw I have heavy tension.Mostly neck ,shoulders,behind ears, in front of ears and bridge of my nose.Also at my worst my eye balls hurt so as you can see tmj can affect multiple areas without directly hurting the jaw .All the muscles compensate

Reply Reply