It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
My experience.....

For the last few years I suffered symptoms of TMJ and was a coward to have it checked out until it was unbearable and unable to chew foods.

After reading the results of various surgeries on this board I was scared out of my wits and did not want that much pain with little gain.

On a regular dental visit last week I finally asked my dentist about my problems and he suggested it might be a weakness in the jaw that allowed a tooth to "strike & slide" with each chew jamming the opposite jaw.

After checking with marking paper the dentist used the drill to shave off the high spots that most likely were causing the strike and slide.

The problem was the teeth on the right side was causing the left side jaw pop out of joint while chewing. Had to press on jaw on the left while chewing soft to medium foods on the right and pray the jaw did not pop out of joint again.

The next day after shaving off the high spots I did not have the strike & slide plus the left jaw was not as sore. It has been 4 days now and I can chew without pain or jaw popping out plus soreness of left jaw is almost gone.

My elderly dentist told me he had learned this trick years ago while working on some old fellows with the same problem and it worked.

I share this in case it might be of help to others.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Mandolyn HB UserMandolyn HB User
Re: My experience.....

Hi Misty. I think I have the same issue. When I bite down my right side seems to have teeth that are hitting wrong. And I am so upset with myself because I was JUST at the dentist two days ago for the third time concerning my tongue and other things that I had no clue were going on and my dentist didn't really have any advice other than for me to get a custom made mouth guard because I use the OTC ones. Make them myself. I have never had jaw pain like I have had the past few days. My left ear is always full, always feels infected but it never is. Sinus pressure on bridge of nose but no stuffy nose or breathing problems. Now I am going to need to call Monday and see if I can go in and have him check my bite and shave the spots that may be attributing to this TMJ stuff. I'm glad you mentioned that. I could kick myself for not having him check a few days ago! All we did was talk about mouth guards. He will probably be annoyed with me for calling again and coming down there. Oh well!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: My experience.....

Mandolyn,

My dentist mentioned a mouth guard and admitted it would not correct the problem. A guard would protect teeth from grinding at night if that was the problem.

Hope this did the trick. The dentist said I might need a little tweaking, but so far things seem to be good.

It sounded like shaving off a little of the tooth was not a common thing dentists do, and he learned this trick on his own.

Hope you get relief soon.

Misty

Reply Reply