It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #16
Veteran
(female)

Shirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB User
Re: Wired shut and need nutrition ideas.

SarahBlue,
Since the surgery 2/18 the horrid TMJ pain has not returned. I am trying everyday to not allow myself to live with fear of the real pain returning. I have learned my own left mandiable is not strong enough nor is there enough of it for me to live without the implant. I will be returning to Shands on May 31 st & surgery will be scheduled then to re-implant a new left Mandible from TMJ Concepts. The feeling started returning to my face about 4 weeks ago. My chin is now the only numb place. It has been 9 years since I have had feeling in my face. Only negative thing is now when I get my eyebrows waxed I am gonna feel it!

To ALL my TMJ sisters & brothers...NEVER GIVE UP HOPE!!! TMJ treatment has moved forward so much in the past twenty years and it continues to move forward...ask some of the veterans what "treatment" they were receiving 20-25 years ago!! Today there is no "cure" for TMJ BUT there are ways to help reduce pain & return function. I NEVER EVER thought I would live pain free again in this life I also NEVER thought I would undergo 19 surgeries but here I am! None of us will walk the exact same TMJ Path but we can ALL relate to the never ending pain, the discomfort, the why me, the abuse from non TMJers, just because YOU do not see it does NOT mean I am not living in horrid uncontrollable PAIN...I NEVER gave up HOPE! The first meeting with my current OS almost 14 years ago he asked me what I wanted him to do & my response was fix me put me back together & make the TMJ go away! He told me to my face he could NOT do that BUT he would TRY to reduce my pain level & with hope get me some function back. After recovering from the shock of knowing the TMJ would never go away my focus for HOPE was on being in less pain even if that only ment one day a month i could have just 6-12 hours of NO HORRID PAIN & maybe I might be able to expand my diet....let me clarify MY term for "HORRID PAIN" the pain is so intense you are unable to think clearly, when you try & take a deep breath the pain buckles your knees, there is NO ESCAPE from the pain, there is no pain medication that will make it go away just slightly dull it long enough for me to fall asleep & try to escape my own body, crying only made the pain worse, I was amazed that my heart could keep beating with such intense pain and MANY times I thought there was no way the pain could ever intensify and it would. That is what I thought the rest of my life was going to be. I begged my husband many times to divorce me & take the kids because I did not want them to see me suffering so much & I was not able to be a part go their lives he refused & stood by me. Pain & TMJ was my life & ruled my life then I made the decision to NOT BE A VICTIM & take my body back..I REFUSED TO ALLOW THE TMJ TO RULE ME AND DICTATE WHO I WAS. Yes I have TMJ but TMJ does NOT HAVE ME! It is NOT who I AM! I NEVER GAVE UP HOPE & when I was down I reminded myself there is ALWAYS SOMEONE OUT THERE IN A WORSE SITUATION THAN I WAS...my husband stood by me, I had my kids and my parents, my sisters and a lot of family that loved & encouraged me to not give in and to not give up HOPE. It is okay to have "bad days" & "pity me days" right along with the "why me" BUT then you pick yourself up off the floor because tomorrow is a brand new day and anything can happen! Just try & stay as positive as you can, tomorrow WILL come! I am here, if someone needs to talk. Remember you ARE NOT ALONE! This is a great place to get support & understanding...it is hard for those around us that do not have TMJ to REALLY, REALLY understand what you are experiencing and going through, sometimes it can even be hard for you yourself to grasp what is happening to you & what you are experiencing. That is TMJ. We are ALL stronger than we know & until we are forced to tap in to that inner strength it is very hard to see the path in front of you and not fall into the sink holes.
Stay strong and Take Care!
Shirlett

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shirlett For This Useful Post:
clencher1 (05-08-2013), miss5427 (05-29-2013), sarahblue (05-24-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2013, 03:37 PM   #17
Veteran
(female)

Mandolyn HB UserMandolyn HB User

I am seeing an oral surgeon tomorrow but I do not want surgery, I am hoping that is not what he immediately suggests. I have never even had an x ray done! I don't know my dentist is giving up on me so soon. My pain got worse last night, but I didn't take any advil yesterday. Today I have taken a total of 1200 mg. I still feel tightness but the pain isn't as bad. But it's definitely inflammed in those muscles and now even my right side is being affected. The main thing being affected are the muscles below eye/cheekbone and my left ear. My left ear always feels infected. I just hope this surgeon can tell if this new guard I have is workign. I haven't been wearing it though, not for the past 5 days because after wearing it for two days I GOT WORSE. I got headaches which I NEVER get. So I stopped wearing it. Not sure if I should've stuck it out....

Old 05-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #18
Veteran
(female)

Shirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB User

Are you doing wet heat & ice also?
Shirlett

The following user gives a hug of support to Shirlett:
sarahblue (05-08-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #19
(female)

sarahblue HB User

Shirlett I am so pleased your pain free , i follow your journey all the time .You have helped me alot to stay positive. I can understand how scary the thought of living in pain is and never wanting to go back to that . You sound like you have a supportive family and a good surgeon . Will be thinking of you on may 31st.

The following user gives a hug of support to sarahblue:
Shirlett (05-08-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahblue For This Useful Post:
Shirlett (05-08-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #20
Veteran
(female)

I need to do ice and heat MORE. I do them once a day. I work, so I don't have it at work, but I need to take an ice pack and find a freezer... I need some type of heating pad for the face too, Normally i just heat up a wet cloth in the microwave and then after applying it, it's cool after 1 minute. I can't keep it warm.

What types of heating pads/things do you use for the face that stay warm?

Old 05-08-2013, 05:14 PM   #21
Veteran
(female)

I bought mine at Walmart for around $10.00. You want a "moist heating pad" it comes with a a little cloth that you wet, wring out then lay on the pad inside the cover, I use a wash cloth since it is bigger.
Shirlett

Old 05-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #22
Veteran
(female)

Thanks shirtlett. I will check that out.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:08 AM   #23
(female)

sarahblue HB User

Hi Shirlett just checking how your doing , is your operation soon ? Hope everything's going well for you .

Old 05-24-2013, 06:35 AM   #24
(female)

Debbiesuew HB User

Well it has been the worst time of my life a week ago one of the wires broke and I had to go in and a resident replaced both wires using only novacaine. I sobbed all the way through this procedure and all the way to the pharmacy and home. It was horrible. He over tightened the wires and Sunday I woke up to a loud pop on one of the screw were pulled out and hanging by the wire. The screw on the opposite site was about ready to come out. Those screws are not tiny they are almost one half inch long. The hole that the screw came out of bleed and bleed. It was horrible. After the experience Wed I did not want to go back because I knew what I had to look forward to. I called the er and they got in touch with the Chief Resident who I told exactly what happened and why I was terrified to come in. He arranged for me to be met in the ER and taken to the clinic, my daughter in law went with me and when he saw my mouth I know he was as sad as I was. He numbed my mouth up with special blocks and they had to move all four screws to new locations and rewired it. I had some pain but nothing like before. Will this ever end. I am now only living on ensure and chicken broth.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #25
Veteran
(female)

debbie. i was told yesterday that they don't wire shut mouths anymore- they only use rubber bands??
are you in the USA? i am so sorry you are going through all of this. whenever i am going through something tough i just remind myself that i have Christ (i am a christian) and i know that it will pass and soon whatever is going on will behind me and i can look forward to being better. but i too, like you do get depressed and feel so helpless and even hopeless at times. i just keep praying.

why was it exactly you had to have your mouth wired shut again? i am sure you told us at the beginning...but i was hoping for details as to why they chose wires and not rubber bands.

i am drinking ensure too. the taste is actually better than i thought it would be.

oops i see you are in the USA and as to why they wired it shut, because of a joint implant. my dentist told me that they don't do joint implants- that it doesn't exist. Man... i am being told lies apparently! i am so confused

Last edited by Mandolyn; 05-24-2013 at 09:23 AM.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #26
(female)

Debbiesuew HB User

I am in the USA I am a patient at the U of M and trust me I am wired. I wish there was a way to send photos. 4 screws two on each side with wires going to each pair.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #27
Veteran
(female)

Wow. Can you move your teeth at all? Like are the wires flexible enough so you can talk?

Old 05-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #28
Veteran
(female)

Yes some Oral Surgeon's DO still use the wires to hold the jaw in place. I have been unwired then use the rubber bands to keep everything in place but to begin strengthening my jaw muscles. Every jaw surgery when I have had implants put IN they do a muscle flap which makes my jaw extremely tight & I have to work on getting my mouth open again. Just keep in mind this is a slow process & you CANNOT RUSH your body!
Take Care!
Shirlett

Reply Reply