It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
(female)

Debbiesuew HB User
Unhappy Wired shut and need nutrition ideas.

I had surgery on April 15th and just found out the joint will be implanted on June 20th. Total Concepts, one side the right. In the meantime I am wired shut and am having one heck of a time getting anything of any nutritional value in me. I can not afford a fancy Vita Mix so I have an immersion blender and a food processor. No matter what I do, nothing gets liquidy enough without just tasting like watered down food. No flavor and if I have one more sweet shake I think I will scream. Everyone thinks that it sounds great to them but I can not brush the inside of my teeth and everything feels pretty funky as it is. The thought of ice cream or milky chocolate shakes mixed with protein makes me worry about the dental aspect I will be faced with once I get my joints working right.
I tired chicken bouillon and I just could not get the right taste, so I ended up buying cambells chicken noodle soup and draining the broth and drinking that. I tried mushing up the noodles but it made it too thick for me to get through a syringe and the more water the less taste.
Does anyone have a recipe for any good really liquid meal replacement that is not sweet.
Help Help Help

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Debbiesuew
clencher1 (05-04-2013), MountainReader (05-03-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Mandolyn HB UserMandolyn HB User
Re: Wired shut and need nutrition ideas.

I am so sorry!!
How long do you have to have it wired shut?
And can you ONLY eat through a straw?

I know juices aren't enough (hunger wise) but I would drink a lot of juices, along with milk. As far as blending things, I have no clue. I wouldn't want real food blended. You could put peanut butter in your shakes though. I used to eat peanut butter shakes a lot, they are yummy too and you get the nutrition from the peanut butter.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mandolyn For This Useful Post:
Debbiesuew (05-03-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #3
(female)

Debbiesuew HB User

Well originally I was told it would be 6 weeks but it turns out to be almost 9 weeks. I can not use a straw because of the sucking that I have to do, so they have modified a large syringe with tubing on it that will allow me to put the end of the tube along the inside jaw towards the back where I have a very small opening. I had thought of peanut butter and that was better than sweet stuff, so we are on the same thought process but the only way I could get that in was by putting some on my finger and pushing it along my gum line towards the back letting it kind of dissolve little by little. Slow but better tasting than other stuff. Thanks for your suggestions though.
Debbie

Old 05-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I've been on liquid diets, but nothing as stringent as yours.

Could you use baby food and add water or broth to make it liquid enough?

I wish you luck in finding a solution.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:34 PM   #5
(female)

MtnGrl887 HB User

Once spent 8 weeks wired after orthognathic surgery. Drank alot of V8 juice for something not sweet and not milky. Blended all kinds of soup. Placed the whole can noodles and all in the blender until liquid. I quickly tired of milk shakes and ensure although I drank the ensure so I would be sure to get the nutrition I needed. When things got real bad I found that a strawberry margarita helped. I drank cream soups made with milk, baby food veggies and herbs and spices. I found that using various herbs and spices important including condiments like hot sauce since made everything less bland tasting.

I wish you luck and am sending good thoughts your way.

The Following User Says Thank You to MtnGrl887 For This Useful Post:
Debbiesuew (05-03-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 08:03 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Shirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB User

Hello,
I have been there many times. Do you have arch bars in? The longest I wore them was 14 months and I would not with it on anyone. I could not use a straw either & Shands gave me a huge syringe with a long rubber tube to attach to the end. I take it you are using the same? Walmart and Bunny Bread stores if you have one sell a quick & EASY soup mix by " Shore Lunch" that comes in many flavors. I would cook it on the stove & then put it in the blender with a little cooked venison, ground beef or canned tuna. Also fruit smoothies. Buy what is in season add orange juice to keep your vitamins up. If I NEVER have a milk shake, grits or mashed potatoes again in this life I will be just fine! I feel for you but stay strong you will come out of this stronger than ever before. I also shot in a lot of Gatoraid to try & stay hydrated.
Take Care!
Shirlett

Old 05-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

I was thinking tomato soup!
and V8!

I still cannot picture a mouth wired shut. And for that long. How? I mean, how do they do it? Are your teeth touching like you can't open at all or talk?

Old 05-04-2013, 08:27 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Shirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB User

For me, I have been wired shut. Teeth on teeth and no movement at all. I carried wire cutters with me every where I went. I had a pair next to my bed and a pair in my purse just in case something happened I would not choke. They are a HORRID invention but kept my jaws in place every time until surgery. Arch bars are a thin piece of metal about as long as you little finger with hooks on it. The bar is wired to your teeth, this means running wire in between your teeth then the top & bottom are wired up and down using the hooks. Not pleasant...but effective. You can look arch bars up on the Internet. Ugh...
Shirlett

Old 05-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #9
(female)

Debbiesuew HB User

Well in my case because I refused to let anyone see me without partials in they drilled holes not in the partial but the gum line. I dont know do you call that a bone. The uppers have two screws and the bottom has two screws and the wire is threaded through them and tied off. But they hold the partials in and the jaw in place. I have a very bad overbite so my teeth do not line up. I wish there was a way I could upload a photo, hard to explain and i am sure hard to picture.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Hang in there!!!! I know it is a hard road & very hard to stay positive when you are hungry. .but you have support here to keep you going. How long until your surgery? Do you know if your OS is going to keep you wired after your surgery? Shands did that to me a couple of times to keep the implants in place while I healed. Blah....I hope this experience will be over soon for you.
Take Care.
Shirlett

Old 05-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #11
(female)

clencher1 HB Userclencher1 HB Userclencher1 HB Userclencher1 HB User

There is a website called tmj hope that has a lot of recipes for a liquid diet. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB User

You poor thing - hang in there and take it one day at time.

I'm not sure what to recommend - tomato soup? yogurt? plain milk would be good since its got protein and calcium. Does your dentist have any sugggestions?

Here's a hug to you. Take care.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Debbie- before they did this procedure were you having any nerve sensations in your hands and legs? Like pins and needles feeling?

Old 05-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #14
(female)

sarahblue HB User

Hi Shirlett how are you doing after your recent operation ? Pray that you are pain free , have followed your tmj journey hope your doing well

The Following User Says Thank You to sarahblue For This Useful Post:
Shirlett (05-08-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Debbie- what were your symptoms? Tmj symptoms before the surgery?

Reply Reply