It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
(female)

mombomb HB Usermombomb HB Usermombomb HB User
I have another ?? How do you brush?

To be honest, I didnt even try to brush my teeth yesterday. The pain was just too bad. I just went to do it now and it was close to impossible on that side of my mouth. The teeth are so sensitive that there's no way I can even touch them with a toothbrush. Dental floss was out of the question.

With all my other dental problems, if I cant keep up on my hygiene, this is going to be really bad. I struggle to keep my teeth healthy as it is!

Old 05-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Shirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB UserShirlett HB User
Re: I have another ?? How do you brush?

Liquid Lidocaine and a toddler tooth brush, smaller & softer.
Hope you find relief!
Shirlett

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
(female)

wonderful advice! Thank you very much.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Mandolyn HB UserMandolyn HB User

I know what you mean. Before I brush, I normally will apply moist heat to my jaw ... until the cloth isn't hot anymore- then I go brush my teeth. I hold my chin while brushing. It is ALWAYS uncomfortable to brush my teeth and I have all my wisdom teeth so it's especially hard having to open a bit wider to get back there. I use an electric tooth brush at night that has a small round tip and a toddler toothbrush in the morning. I make sure my thumb is on my chin in case my jaw opens too far. I can always feel the joint telling me to stop and it's painful at times. But I do the same with flossing... I just try to be careful. After I am done, I ICE IT. I've been going through this for over a month now. I did find it healing at one point and then I did something to aggravate it again. I see an oral surgeon tomorrow- I will try to remember to ask him as well, what to do about brushing and exactly what types of foods I should eat to help this heal. I do NOT want surgery. My consultation is for x rays and to show him my custom guard and ask him if he thinks it fits right. I stopped wearing it the past 5 nights because I hear poor fitted guards can cause more damage. If you can't get a prescription for muscle relaxers (I have a few left) then try to take benedryl before bed. Not sure why you have TMD. Clenching or grinding in your sleep?

Old 05-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
(female)

Thanks for the reply. I'm not too sure why I have it but my dentist thinks that my tendonitis problem has a lot to do with it. I have it bad in my neck/shoulder on that side. And I broke a bridge a year ago and havent been able to replace it yet so the missing teeth also have a lot to do with it she thinks. Oh yeah, I also grind

Old 05-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
(female)

sara7373 HB User

The dentist showed me how to brush & showed me to hold the brush like a pencil & brush lightly without scrubbing hard. It causes your teeth damage & erosion when you scrub your teeth, plus you wear away your gums too. So I now brush lightly in small circles so the brush flares out.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #7
(female)

I did do damage to my enamel from brushing hard! My dentist had to fix my front top teeth because of it.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

I have a missing molar on the left side- the side with the most TMJ pain. But I eat on that side fine. I don't see how that would affect TMJ. I wear a partial during the day time, but I take it out when I eat then put it back in.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #9
(male)

2th HB User

TMJ problems can be pretty rough and I wish you well! Here are a couple of thoughts that may be of some help:
1. I bet you a nickel that you are probably CONSTANTLY clenching your teeth. You may not be gnashing, sliding and grinding your teeth, but I bet your top and bottom teeth are touching right now as you read this! A common response to this suggestion is, "No, that would be stupid and I never .... Hey, wait a minute ... I'm not biting hard but my top and bottom teeth are touching and gently clamped together". If so, relax .... let your lower jaw open just a little so there is some air space between your top and bottom teeth. Be aware of this habit (you may find yourself doing it all the time) and then make an effort while you are awake to constantly keep your teeth apart. Constant clenching makes teeth ache and more temperature sensitive. At night when you can't control things a dentist-made splint (mouth guard) can help.
2. You mentioned seeing a "lot of swelling" in your jaw. That is unusual to see big swelling so you may need to get checked for other problems. Good luck!

Old 05-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
(female)

Really? The swelling isnt normal? Uh Oh. When I was first diagnosed, maybe a month ago, my dentist did a full exam and full xrays (including that one that spins around your head) and she didnt see anything. She knows me well, I've been going to her about 10 yrs now and I'm in there a LOT for all my dental problems. I'm doing tons better today and the swelling is almost gone, but if it swells up again like that, I'll go see her.

Mandolyn, it was a 4 tooth bridge, so there is a huge gap. I have the molar in the very back (which is just a stump because it was drilled down for the bridge) and thats it. It doesnt show when I smile or talk, so I havent rushed on getting a new bridge. It's very expensive and being so large, they keep breaking.

they keep breaking because I DO clench and grind. I know I do. I had a mouthguard and my dog ate it. I need to get a new one.
The problem I have with the guard is that I cant keep the darn thing in my mouth at night. I take it out in my sleep. Every single time. I'll wake up and it'll be on the floor or I'll be holding it in my hand. Or like last time, my dog was using it as a chew toy. I've never once made it through the whole night with it.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

mombomb- you need to make sure when you fit it (if you are buying them at a store) that it is TIGHT. which means, when you open your mouth it should not fall off the top teeth. my new custom one (cost me 400 dollars- yeah, it took me 3 years to finally give up and have one made) it fits SUPER tight. I can't even tell it's on in the middle of the night if I wake up. But because I was having more pain every day after wearing it, I stopped wearing it. Going to see an oral surgeon tomorrow who can hopefully tell me if it is the right type of guard or if it needs adjusting. And hopefully they won't immediately suggest surgery, if so I will get more opinions.

2th- I totally hear ya! I am trying so hard to be mindful of when my teeth are together. my lips are always together but that doesn't mean we have to have our teeth touching. making the "n" noise with your tongue is where your tongue should rest. so i will write post its "n sound" around the house- LOL. I also have a post it note that says "sit up straight"
poor posture attributes to TMJ pain

Also I refuse to get a bridge, heard too many bad stories with those. I want an implant but can't afford it. I can eat fine with the gap so I just don't worry about it- I wear the partial ONLY to keep the two teeth in back from shifting. I have all my wisdom teeth. When I smile you can't see the gap.

Last edited by Mandolyn; 05-09-2013 at 06:08 PM.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #12
(female)

I definitely wish I had never gotten bridges. I have/had 3. Implants werent really an option back when I got them though.
The mouthguard that I had was a custom made one, and it fit well, but I would still pop it out. A VERY expensive chew toy

Old 05-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Yeah... My guard is expensive too. I am going to see the oral surgeon in 10 minutes. Have him look at it, get x rays to make sure it's the right thing for me. I just hope he doesn't say I need surgery or something. Sometimes I think it just takes a long time for jaws to heal after they have been aggravated. I wish I could stick to a liquid diet but I can't. First off, I am thin and I have to take iron 3x a day and I have to take it with something solid that is not dairy... so I usually eat a nutri grain bar or soft pb sandwich. But that requires me to chew so I think I just keep setting it off. But I am so nervous right now!!! I bet you he will try to convince me it is because I have a missing molar and I don't eat with the partial. But I dont' buy that. I eat on that side fine with the gap. My jaw muscles work the same.

Anyways-- I will let you know what he says. I wish I could afford an implant! I still have ALL my wisdom teeth too. That is crazy. They dont' bother me though. So if he says they need to come out I WILL CRY. lol

I am sorry you keep biting through your guards. Your dentist should make one that is really really durable. They have to have something!

Old 05-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombomb View Post
Really? The swelling isnt normal? Uh Oh. When I was first diagnosed, maybe a month ago, my dentist did a full exam and full xrays (including that one that spins around your head) and she didnt see anything. She knows me well, I've been going to her about 10 yrs now and I'm in there a LOT for all my dental problems. I'm doing tons better today and the swelling is almost gone, but if it swells up again like that, I'll go see her.

Mandolyn, it was a 4 tooth bridge, so there is a huge gap. I have the molar in the very back (which is just a stump because it was drilled down for the bridge) and thats it. It doesnt show when I smile or talk, so I havent rushed on getting a new bridge. It's very expensive and being so large, they keep breaking.

they keep breaking because I DO clench and grind. I know I do. I had a mouthguard and my dog ate it. I need to get a new one.
The problem I have with the guard is that I cant keep the darn thing in my mouth at night. I take it out in my sleep. Every single time. I'll wake up and it'll be on the floor or I'll be holding it in my hand. Or like last time, my dog was using it as a chew toy. I've never once made it through the whole night with it.
Swelling isn't normal - if it is swollen put ice or cold cloth on the area.

You need a new night gaurd which will help reduce the impact clenching and grinding have on your jaw. It sounds like your old one didn't fit right. From what I've read, the biggest issue is getting night gaurds to fit properly - if they don't people don't wear them. I would recommend maybe finding a new dentist?

As for teeth cleaning - use a child's brush and I find don't have to open my mouth wide to get the brush in. Also I use mouth wash. If its too painful to brush try rinsing with mouth wash and that might help in terms of your dental hygene. Hope you feel better.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandolyn View Post
Yeah... My guard is expensive too. I am going to see the oral surgeon in 10 minutes. Have him look at it, get x rays to make sure it's the right thing for me. I just hope he doesn't say I need surgery or something. Sometimes I think it just takes a long time for jaws to heal after they have been aggravated. I wish I could stick to a liquid diet but I can't. First off, I am thin and I have to take iron 3x a day and I have to take it with something solid that is not dairy... so I usually eat a nutri grain bar or soft pb sandwich. But that requires me to chew so I think I just keep setting it off. But I am so nervous right now!!! I bet you he will try to convince me it is because I have a missing molar and I don't eat with the partial. But I dont' buy that. I eat on that side fine with the gap. My jaw muscles work the same.

Anyways-- I will let you know what he says. I wish I could afford an implant! I still have ALL my wisdom teeth too. That is crazy. They dont' bother me though. So if he says they need to come out I WILL CRY. lol

I am sorry you keep biting through your guards. Your dentist should make one that is really really durable. They have to have something!
Hi Mandolyn

What kind of iron supplement are you on? I take iron too (ferrous gluconate) but both my doctor and a nutrientist told me that you have to take iron on an empty stomach or your body won't absorb it. They also told me to take it with a vitamin c tablet because iron is hard to absorb and vitamin c apparently helps with the absorption. The only problem I have taking iron on an empty stomach is that it can irritate it. (Iron also causes constipation - but that's another problem).

Reply Reply