It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Mandolyn HB UserMandolyn HB User
when massaging the masseter muscles do you get a weird feeling in ears?

when I am pushing upward on my jaw muscles my ears both feel weird inside- like a tickly sensation, as if something is being pushed into it.

anyone else get this?

i have read that massaging the muscles is a good thing-- going upward and then downward slowly

Old 05-09-2013, 02:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: when massaging the masster muscles do you get a weird feeling in ears?

A good way to massage those tense muscles is with clean hands put your thumb inside your mouth, way back where jaw meets on opposite side of your hand and massage the inside with thumb and outside with fingers, gently squeezing the muscles as you go. Feels wonderful and releases the tension faster. Don't worry about the ear sensation as long as it isn't pain.

Last edited by ladybud; 05-09-2013 at 02:48 AM. Reason: typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: when massaging the masseter muscles do you get a weird feeling in ears?

Ladybud gave good advice.

I will say that when I started my tmjd treatment early on, my muscles were so painful that I couldn't do the masseter work myself very well. My PT did the trigger point releases (in the mouth too) on my masseter and pterygoid areas.

In the beginning, I was in tears with the releases on both areas. When the releases came though, it was wonderful. Over time, the releases became easier and easier.

Last edited by MountainReader; 05-09-2013 at 05:43 PM.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

I'm not sure how to do it- but I will give it a try. I also read that you should put two finger tips in mouth, below top teeth but DO NOT bite down and rest them for 5-10 seconds - then take out then do this 4x and a few times a day do this to exercise those muscles. BUT they say to apply heat before you do it.

I meant to do that last night, but I felt so sick, sore throat, went to bed- got up in the middle of the night with awful leg cramps and felt sick to my stomach and threw up. Been feeling queasy all day and VERY lethargic. I'm drinking a diet soda right now just to wake myself up some. My poor kids probably think their mom is on her death bed. LOL. Seems like I am always telling them "my jaw hurts, so I can't talk a lot"
or "my back hurts so I can't do that" or whatever....

Old 05-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

esker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB User

It means that you are stimulating trigger points in the muscle. If the sensations are new to you, then you have found dormant trigger points. If you recognize the sensations, then you have active trigger points.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

There is a good resource book for information on this. It is called The Trigger Point Workbook by Clair Davies. It explains things in detail and ways you can understand. It shows you how to do trigger point releases yourself.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

should i put more pressure when i start to feel that? i did watch a you tube video on a lady showing points to press and hold for 30 seconds. three points were by the ear opening and the other one was below the ear, the corner of the jaw.

I'm not sure I am finding them though when I try. But when I rub upwards I do feel that weird sensation in my ears. It's in both ears now.

Reply Reply