It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Mandolyn HB UserMandolyn HB User
Is anyone having back upper teeth pain?

My right side, back teeth (one is wisdom) have been hurting off and on, as if they have cavities almost. But then there are times they don't hurt at all. I can drink hot and cold on them and they are fine but every now and then I will just be sitting here and I get a sharp pain type ache in them- like it shoots up the roots. Or if I push my tongue hard on them, sometimes they hurt for a second. I have had these two teeth looked at several times over the past 3 years because of this type of pain. I am wondering now if it is due to TMJ? I know what sensitive teeth feel like, but this is more than just sensitive. My dentist told me a few weeks ago that I did have receding gums back there. But I don't think that would cause that type of pain. He was poking at my wisdom tooth a few weeks ago and he said he was wondering if it had a cavity but it didnt' feel soft to him so he disregarded it. At this point I could not open enough for an x ray to tell. He didn't seem concerned that it was a cavity. He just said receding gums are going on back there.

Anyways, just wondering if anyone else gets sharp pains or aches in their teeth off and on when they are dealing with TMJ pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2013, 07:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB User
Re: Is anyone having back upper teeth pain?

Hi Mandolyn

My teeth can ache - but this is from clenching and its not sharp. I have one tooth where the gum has receded quite a bit and I do find it is sensitive to cold, so it could be if the gum has receded more of the root is exposed and that is causing the pain. I don't know just speculating.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Mandolyn HB UserMandolyn HB User

Could be. I do wish my dentist would do another x ray though just to be sure. However I have to pay out of pocket for any x rays now. My insurance plan has changed. This country is going DOWNHILL fast!

Old 05-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB User

I sympathize - I live in the province of Ontario and dentistry is generally not covered under the Ontario public funded medical care system - there are some exceptions - for example some surgery performed by oral surgeons is covered (the surgery that has been recommended for me would be covered but visits to the oral surgeon's office I pay out of pocket) Not that I"m complaining - having public health care helps enormously but dental bills add up quickly when you have TMJ problems and I have a lousy dental plan through work. So I hear you - its frustrating not to be able to get the tests you need because your insurance won't approve it or you can't afford it. I know we all want to get better and its difficult to get better when you can't get or afford the neccesary medical care. Hang in. Enjoy the Memorial Day long weekend if you can.

Reply Reply