It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2013, 04:50 AM   #1
(female)

interested27 HB User
Need help - soft food diet suggestions - I'm over it!

I've been on a soft diet for six months. I finally tried reintegrating harder foods, like fish and chicken. Mistake! My jaw joint is angry! Can anyone give me advice on soft foods? I'm tired of mashed potatoes and macaroni and cheese!

Old 08-28-2013, 05:31 AM   #2
(female)

Robocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB User
Re: Need help- soft food diet suggestions- I'm over it!

Chilli! Mashed sweet potatoe, smashed cauliflower..... Do you have a blender? When I'm feeling sick (I take lots of meds) and can't stomach foods too well, I blend up my meals. Steamed cauliflower makes great "mashed potatoes" if you season them. Steamed veggies in a blender with soft meats (you have to boil boil boil). I have a kitchen aid mixer, it's the best! Did I mention I love food?! Have you tried protein shakes?! Fruit smoothies with Greek yogurt? The possibilities are endless if you've got a blender. I'm getting excited.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
(female)

interested27 HB User

Thanks for the advice Robocat and for the enthusiasm. I'm so overwhelmed by all of this, it's nice to hear someone sound so upbeat.

What meats do you boil and blend? I miss having even the option of meat anymore, and yes, a few months ago I went out and got a pretty good blender.

I really like the cauliflower idea too.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
(female)

Robocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB User

Sometimes I boil a really good thick beef. The more pricey the cut and tender the better! I suppose if you tenderize it beforehand it would work well. Save the broth too. When you tenderize it and blend it you get more flavor out of it. Same thing with potatoes, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower.

The Following User Says Thank You to Robocat For This Useful Post:
interested27 (08-28-2013)
Old 08-28-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
(female)

Have you ever had sheapards pie? I just thought of it! You would love it! My fav dish!

Lasagna?

Last edited by Robocat; 08-28-2013 at 10:09 PM.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:14 PM   #6
(female)

interested27 HB User

Those are really good suggestions and very different from my normal fare. I could really use the variety.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:33 PM   #7
(female)

Sd123 HB UserSd123 HB User

Hey there -

Have you thought about trying soups with different spices to mix up your palate? I am a vegetarian so when I was on a soft food diet I used to eat soups like spinach and sweet potato soup with caribbean curry; or even chicken tortilla soup.

I also really like to eat pho (a Vietnamese soup) with tofu, which is very soft.

Hope that helps!

Old 08-29-2013, 02:02 AM   #8
(female)

I love Hawaiian ginger and kale soup! So yum! I've been thinking about this post all day I actually broke out my cook books! Tater tots made out of zucchini! If you make them in muffin pans and eggs they don't get crispy. I believe they're called zucchini tots. Omlettes? Yum! Ramen? Pasta....Salisbury steak is soft. Meatloaf. My mouth is watering....

Old 08-29-2013, 11:17 AM   #9
(male)

PatientZero1 HB User
Re: Need help - soft food diet suggestions - I'm over it!

Robocat's advice is great!

I also go down the baby food aisle. I have found some great tasting baby foods, plus the portions are small so I don't have left offers. Baby food is usually good for you, and low in sugars.

I also blend up breakfast cereals with soy milk or ensure and drink them down.

Most foods can be pureed into soups.

Bolthouse Farms makes lots of nutritional drinks you can get at any grocery store that are ready to drink.

I hate to cook, so have blender will travel

Old 08-29-2013, 12:40 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested27 View Post
I've been on a soft diet for six months. I finally tried reintegrating harder foods, like fish and chicken. Mistake! My jaw joint is angry! Can anyone give me advice on soft foods? I'm tired of mashed potatoes and macaroni and cheese!
breakfast for me is greek yogurt, with bran cereal softened in water (For fibre) and then I puree it with raspberries, blueberries, a banana, honey, 2 tblsp wheat germ and 2 heaping tablespoons fermented soy powder

I use greek yogurt and soy powder for extra protein since I can't chew meat.

I also buy alot of lentil/bean soups (again for protein), puree them with the pulp of a baked potato for added nutrition (I have a hand blender that does the job) I also live on butternut squash soup.

Hot chocolate is my treat

It does get to be a various montonous diet.

When things are better I can eat spinach quiche; pancakes or french toast.

hope things get better

Old 08-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB User

i would also add pudding and apple sauce to the list.

Maybe you can eat cottage cheese? (I can't but it maybe soft enough for you).

Old 08-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB User

For something soft, and with lots of protein I like to eat fish. Halibut, perch, flounder, orange roughy are all good. Broil them with your favorite seasonings and you're good to go.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:57 PM   #13
(female)

interested27 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robocat View Post
I love Hawaiian ginger and kale soup! So yum! I've been thinking about this post all day I actually broke out my cook books! Tater tots made out of zucchini! If you make them in muffin pans and eggs they don't get crispy. I believe they're called zucchini tots. Omlettes? Yum! Ramen? Pasta....Salisbury steak is soft. Meatloaf. My mouth is watering....
I love your enthusiasm, Robocat! It's refreshing. Thanks for making me smile.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:59 PM   #14
(female)

interested27 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck65 View Post
i would also add pudding and apple sauce to the list.

Maybe you can eat cottage cheese? (I can't but it maybe soft enough for you).
Pudding and applesauce are good suggestions, but no, i haven't quite graduated to cottage cheese yet. maybe one day.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:01 PM   #15
(female)

interested27 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegala View Post
For something soft, and with lots of protein I like to eat fish. Halibut, perch, flounder, orange roughy are all good. Broil them with your favorite seasonings and you're good to go.
Fish is still a little too hard for me, but I'm looking forward to the day when it's back on the menu. Thanks, Pegala.

Reply Reply