It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Tourette Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2002, 05:51 AM   #1

malibu_cpp HB User
Post Tourettes Syndrome anyone?

Hi All!
My suggestion is for Tourettes Syndrome (I hope I'm spelling it right!) You know, the brain disorder which supposedly causes people to blurt out obsenities? I use that example since that is the one people are most familiar with when it comes to this disorder. Fact is, it only occurs in about 2% of cases. But thats about all I know about it! My 9 year old daughter has recently been diagnosed with this. In a way it has been a relief to find out that their has been something else going on within her to cause her behavioral problems as well as well below average grades at school. The "tics" so to speak progressively became worse over the years. Shaking of her head, twitching, sudden out-bursts of anger, blinking her eyes constantly, stretching her mouth until the corners actually cracked and bled, the list goes on and on. It got to where you couldn't sit next to her and do something as simple as watch TV without her moving constantly. I am desperate to find out information about this disorder as well as being able to read other stories of families who have had to adjust to this and how they cope. Her behavior right now is the worst symptom. After telling me she hates me after I simply ask her to "put her clothes away", she writes me a letter apologizing over and over. But yet, she can't stop. It's very hurtful for both of us, but more so her since she really doesn't understand what is "wrong" with her. "I can't help it" is something we hear many many times a day and it just breaks my heart that she has to live with this as well as the ridicule and heartache she has had to deal with from her classmates. Bottom line........WE NEED HELP! Please consider this suggestion and thank-you.

Nadine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2002, 10:56 PM   #2

seldon HB User
i once knew a person with this problem. i also meet a small boy at the hospital with it. i now understand that some people are very hard headed about understanding that they just can't help it. lately i have also seen alot of programs explain the problem and trying to get people to understand and aware. like this little girl whose teacher even made fun of her because of it. i think this board would be a great idea.

Closed Thread